SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#92505 - 06/23/03 09:55 AM The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Doing a search on Tom Jobim, I found the address of his fan club:
http://www.jobim.com.br

from there, I was able to collect a few more infos about the original "Girl from Ipanema": looks like she was a real beauty and even starred on the brazilian edition of Playboy in 1987; this year she did pose again on the same magazine, but with her 24 yo daughter.
You can see a picture of her at the top of her beauty here:
http://old.clarin.com/diario/2003/01/20/s-03301.htm

and also have an idea of how she looks at 56 here:
http://www-ni.laprensa.com.ni/archivo/2003/abril/10/revista/revista-20030410-09.html

Comments are welcome.

#92506 - 06/23/03 09:59 AM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
Dreamer Offline

Donny, maybe you can help me to post the pics here; here are the links:

http://old.clarin.com/diario/2003/01/20/t033dh01.jpg
http://www-ni.laprensa.com.ni/archivo/2003/abril/10/revista/revista-20030410-09.jpg

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 06-23-2003).]

#92507 - 06/23/03 10:06 AM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
trtjazz Offline

Andrea, at 56 she's still got it. I think she aged another year though while I was waiting for the picture to come up.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#92508 - 06/23/03 10:14 AM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-23-2003).]

#92509 - 06/23/03 03:43 PM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
notlos Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hello Andrea,

nice information !!!!
Here is also a link for a great jobimsite.
you can download original music arranged by his son paulo and others. Also photo's from jobim when he was in the beginning of his music composing, etc.... http://www2.uol.com.br/tomjobim/index_flash.htm

[This message has been edited by notlos (edited 06-23-2003).]

#92510 - 06/23/03 04:52 PM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Hi Andrea,
This lady would be welcome in front of my camera anytime.
Frank

#92511 - 06/23/03 05:08 PM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Interesting couple of articles. Luckily they were in Spanish - I thought they would have been in Portugese.

Bryan

#92512 - 06/23/03 06:14 PM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Nice times but I like the new fashion (2003) of brasilian girls...

Chico

#92513 - 06/23/03 07:59 PM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
Bill E Offline

Loc: nashville
O.K. Chico, are you going to post some pics of the "new fashion brasillian girls"?????? i bet that I would like them too!
Bill

#92514 - 06/23/03 11:54 PM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
Dreamer Offline

Hi friends,
I am glad that I am now able to understand quite a bit of portuguese, because the lyrics of most brazilian songs are as interesting and meaningful as the music itself. From this point of view, it looks like the whole concept behind a song like "The girl from Ipanema" is the power of beauty and harmony, that can arouse a feeling like love in human beings. Here are the final lyrics, with a rather free english translation (done by me):

"Ah, se ela soubesse
Que quando ela passa
O mundo sorrindo se enche de graça
E fica mais lindo
Por causa do amor"

"Oh, if she only could know
That when she walks by
The world smiles full of grace
And becomes a more beautiful place
Thanks to the power of love"

The name of the girl was Heloisa Eneida Menezes Paes Pinto but, after her wedding with a rich engineer named Fernando Abel Mendes Pinheiro, she was known simply as Hele Pinheiro. The first time Tom Jobim saw her walking and swaying on her way to the Ipanema beach she was only 15 and is described like a blossoming adolescent of stunning beauty, yet very unsecure about herself and her looks. When she got married Tom Jobim and his first wife Thereza witnessed the wedding. During the seventies and the eighties she was a protagonist of the social life in Rio and now, at 56, she stars for the second time on "Playboy", together with her daughter ("I did it to help her overcome her shyness", she said).
Of course one can only think with a hint of sadness how easily symbols fade away and lose their original power.

#92515 - 06/24/03 03:15 AM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
RicFreak Offline

Loc: Italy
I like this topic. I swear I like it!

#92516 - 06/24/03 04:15 AM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Wow how many times have I played this in Brazil! Nice though to put a picture to the music, I also enjoyed the english/portuguese version by frank sinatra(?). Now if only I can perfect playing those jazz chords!!!!

Simon

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

#92517 - 06/24/03 05:23 AM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That's TWO referances to a "TOM" Jobim. Is that a nickname for the famous composer of the song? I've never heard anyonr mention a Tom Jobim before.We all know him as Antonio Carlos. Enlighten please?

#92518 - 06/24/03 06:02 AM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
Apparently that's what he was always known as. There was an interesting article on Tom Jobim in DownBeat a few months ago. Maybe you missed it.

Bryan

#92519 - 06/24/03 06:30 AM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
ChicoBrasil Offline

For brasilian people , Antonio Carlos Jobim is just Tom Jobim . Tom Jobim named themselves just Tom.
Chico

#92520 - 06/24/03 06:37 AM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
ChicoBrasil Offline

Hi Bill.

I Think that Andrea can make a better judgment about the beauty of brasilian girls. As brasilian, I am a little suspicious about this issue.

Chico

#92521 - 06/24/03 07:01 AM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Bez:
Hi Andrea,
This lady would be welcome in front of my camera anytime.
Frank

Frank .. I guess your recoup is coming along nicely .... good to hear from you...
t.

#92522 - 06/24/03 08:00 AM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Pilot:
There was an interesting article on Tom Jobim in DownBeat a few months ago. Maybe you missed it.

Wow, I never knew that!
If the artcle was in Downbeat, then I definatly missed it. I've never read a single copy. Love that Tom, though !

#92523 - 06/24/03 11:34 AM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
Dreamer Offline

Dave,
in Brazil "Antonio" is abbreviated in "Tom", just like in USA "Anthony" becomes "Tony"; part of the confusion comes from the fact that "Tom" in USA means "Thomas"; in Brazil, however, "Tom" is pronounced "Ton" (they never have an "n" at the end of a word, unless it's a foreign word).

Chico,
what can I say? Many brazilian girls are not only extremely attractive "on the outside": they seem also very happy or at least satisfied of their life and this is reflected in a special light in their eyes. Something makes me think that in Brazil the depressive syndrome is a rare disease.

#92524 - 06/24/03 12:56 PM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
ChicoBrasil Offline

Andrea.

Tom is a sophisticated abbreviation of Antonio, but the "popular" is Tonico.Remember our sound engineer in Bossa Nova in Concert : Tonico Andrade.
Chico

#92525 - 06/24/03 06:44 PM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Andrea, Many thanks for your english translation of the "Girl From Ipanema" lyrics. This points out just 'how much' of the originally intended meaning can get lost when attempting to translate lyrics from one language to another, while retaining the original melody. Your translation has given me a lot more insight to this song and has encouraged me now (even more) to attempt to learn to sing it in Portuguese. Thanks. - Scott

#92526 - 06/24/03 11:32 PM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
Dreamer Offline

Scott, if you wish I can translate the whole song for you
Remember when we were talking about the importance of singing inside the melody of a song while playing it, to be able to play with more insight and feeling? Well, I now can say that, before even attempting to play a song, it's very important to know what the song is all about. For example, a song like "Manha de carnaval" is translated in english as "A day in the life of a fool"; well, I think that the meaning of the song is lost just from the title!
To give you another idea of how beautiful these brazilian songs can be, here is an excerpt from "A felicidade" (Jobim-De Moraes, from the movie "Black Orpheus"), with my free translation:

"Tristeza não tem fim,
Felicidade sim...
A felicidade de pobre parece
A grande ilusão do carnaval
A gente trabalha
o ano enteiro
Por un momento de sonho
Pra fazer a fantasia
De rei ou de pirata ou jardineira
E tudo se acabar na quarta feira...
Tristeza não tem fim
Felicidade sim"

"Sadness never dies
Happiness dies all too soon...
For the poor people happiness seems to be
The big illusion of Carnival
People work the whole year
For a moment a dream
To be able to make the phantasy of being
A king or a pirate or a gardner,
But all is over by Wednesday morning
Sadness never dies
Happiness dies all too soon"

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 06-24-2003).]

#92527 - 06/25/03 07:22 AM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Dreamer ... and the full translation??? ...
t.

#92528 - 06/25/03 08:38 AM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
Anonymous
Unregistered

I may help with double versions (portuguese/english) of some of the widely known bossas. I have them close to the leadsheets More on this later.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:

Chico,
what can I say? Many brazilian girls are not only extremely attractive "on the outside": they seem also very happy or at least satisfied of their life and this is reflected in a special light in their eyes. Something makes me think that in Brazil the depressive syndrome is a rare disease.

Well, I doubt it's this simple, but it's true that the ability of the brazilian people to overcome problems that would badly depress an average european, still amazes me very much. Maybe the key is that there is a lot of emotional (not material) generosity among brazilians. People seek, with high priority in their lives, true emotional connections with each other, not pale social contact or conversations. That's, at least, what impresses me the most, in my contacts with brazilian friends.

I remember once, in a TV channel, the news about a violent storm over Rio. There were heavy rains that completely smashed entire quarters in Rio's "favelas" (home for many poor people). One family lost ALL their wells. Interviewed by a jornalist, they were saying that it could have been worst: they managed to save the TV, so they could watch the "novela" (a kind of soap opera, also very popular in Portugal).

-- José.

[This message has been edited by matias (edited 06-25-2003).]

#92529 - 06/25/03 11:41 AM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
Dreamer Offline

Tony,
do you want me to translate the whole song? Well, both José and Chico can of course do a better job compared to me, but I think that maybe we can compare our versions, so I will now give you my own translation of "Garota de Ipanema" and maybe Chico or José (or any other) can add their own comments.
Here is the portuguese version:

"Olha que coisa mais linda
Mais cheia de graça
É ela menina
Que vem e que passa
Num doce balanço, a caminho do mar

Moça do corpo dourado
Do sol de Ipanema
O seu balançado é mais que um poema
É a coisa mais linda que eu já vi passar

Ah, porque estou tão sozinho
Ah, porque tudo é tão triste
Ah, a beleza que existe
A beleza que não é só minha
Que também passa sozinha

Ah, se ela soubesse
Que quando ela passa
O mundo sorrindo se enche de graça
E fica mais lindo
Por causa do amor"

And this is my poor translation:

"Look at that wonderful thing
so full of grace
that girl
who's coming and then going away
swaying so gently, on her way to the sea

Girl with a golden body,
tanned by the Ipanema sun
Her swaying is more than a poem
She's the most beautiful thing I ever saw going by

Ah, why am I so lonely?
Ah, why is everything so sad?
Ah, the beauty that exists
That beauty is not just mine
Yet goes by all alone

Ah, if she only could know
That when she goes by
The world smiles full of grace
And becomes a more beautiful place
Due to the power of love.

* Note: the word "menina" literally means "child", however you will understand me more if I tell you that in italian it would be translated as "bambina". So I think that "bambina" gives more the idea of a beautiful adolescent, with long dark hair, green eyes and a body in full blossom. The english word "child" is -to me- inappropriate. But -of course- the experts here are Chico and José.

#92530 - 06/25/03 11:54 AM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
ChicoBrasil Offline

Andrea

Menina means a young girl .
Today you have a perfect feeling of portuguese language.
Chico

[This message has been edited by ChicoBrasil (edited 06-25-2003).]

#92531 - 06/25/03 02:39 PM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
SD_FAN Offline

Loc: São Paulo, SP / Brazil
Hi Andrea.

Only today I had the opportunity of reading this post.
More and more I'm impressed with this your "brasilianismo". (I think that this word don't have translation, "brazilianness" perhaps)

Abraços
Armando

(Today I'm a PRO_FAN too)

[This message has been edited by SD_FAN (edited 06-25-2003).]

[This message has been edited by SD_FAN (edited 06-25-2003).]

#92532 - 06/26/03 03:04 AM Re: The authentic Girl from Ipanema on Playboy Magazine at 56
Dreamer Offline

Oi Armando,
muito obrigado para tuas palavras.
I have a problem though: these days I am playing 90% of the time brazilian music; it's becoming a very addictive habit!
Maybe part of the fault goes to the 9000 pro?
Abracos,
Andrea

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online