SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#91041 - 02/17/03 05:26 PM What do the pro's use?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
On another forum, I was asked "what do the pro's use when they play?" Essentially, there are a lot of folks that play for charity events, small parties, etc and wish to know that equipment they should take, the size of the amp, speaker size, type of microphone, etc. While everyone has their own preference, I believe that all of this can be categorized using certain parameters. I said I would pose this question to the folks at the Synthzone and forward the information. Probably, the easiest way to do this is via a short form. Essentially, highlight the form, copy it into your response and fill in the blanks. This should prove both interesting and educational for everyone involved.

This is based strictly on audience size, and assuming that you would be playing indoors at a location where the room or hall size is adequate for the number of people in the audience.

Under Amp, list the power in watts with the letter "M" for mono and "S" for stereo.

For volume setting, use a range of 1 to 10 with 10 being maximum.

For speaker size, list them in inches and the number that you use. For example, 2@15" or 1@18", etc.

Under Microphone, list the type you prefer, SC=super cardiod, DY-dynamic, etc. and also whether it's handheld(HH) or headset(HS).

In the comments section, you can add any information that you feel would be helpful to the novice player/performer. It's your call.

Audience size:Amp, Vol-Set, Spkr.Size, Mic.
10 or less
10 to 20
20 to 40
40 to 80
100 to 200
200 to 500
500 to 1000
1000 or more

Additional Comments:

Thanks guys and gals,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 02-17-2003).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#91042 - 02/17/03 07:32 PM Re: What do the pro's use?
trtjazz Offline

Gary,
From my gigging days....

Audience size:Amp, Vol-Set, Spkr.Size, Mic.
10 or less > A= 100-200w
10 to 20 > V= Dependant on room acoustics
20 to 40 > and noise level
40 to 80 > S=10's or 12's
M=Condenser

100 to 200> A=Same, but mic'd through
200 to 500> a soundboard and reamplified
500 to 1000> All else the same as well.
1000 or more>

Additional Comments:
It's better too have too much power and cut back than to be underpowered and stretch it all to the limits as the sound quality will diminish in direct proportion.

------------------
jam on,
Terry
http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#91043 - 02/18/03 07:15 AM Re: What do the pro's use?
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Terry. OK guys and gals, how about the rest of you?

Cheers,

Gary

#91044 - 02/18/03 07:43 AM Re: What do the pro's use?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Surveys often leave out the better answers by not asking the right questions. My midi volumes have certain settings, my keyboard has a master volume setting, my mic and my PA or amp has another... telling you what numbers they are set on is meaningless. The question I would ask is: what are the acoustics like in the place you will be performing in ? If you have all flat, reflective surfaces (ie; glass windows w/few coverings, a smooth dance floor, high ceilings w/nothing to absorb the sound) you need very little power. The more acoustically dampened the room is, the more power you will need. Placement of the speakers can be key also: they can be tilted back on the floor for ambient sound or pointed into people's faces (many choose the latter).

I find that most live music is too loud for the occasion it is intended for, especially small gigs. It's rarely not loud enough. The trick is to get balanced sound - the right amount of bass-to-treble. Speaker quality, as opposed to quantity or size, makes the difference when going for balanced sound.

No two gigs are exactly alike. I own and use a variety of products that suit the needs of the day.

#91045 - 02/18/03 07:50 AM Re: What do the pro's use?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Pro took the words right out of my mouth. Every job is different. I have big p.a.s, small p.a.s and in between.
I once went in early to a place, set up, did a sound check. When I returned two hours later, they had opened the drapes along two walls. Nothing but glass--everything had to be quickly re-e.q.ed. (new word!).
I even use different mics for different jobs. Outdoors jobs are completely another story, also.
DonM

#91046 - 02/18/03 08:13 AM Re: What do the pro's use?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I agree with Pro and Dan.

One other thing to consider; purchase your equipment with a wide range of venues in mind. I don't have an unlimited budget to have one amp for small venues, and another for large venues.

I personally have over-powered equipment so that I can always reduce volume levels. If you find yourself in-between venue sizes, you may find yourself underpowered.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#91047 - 02/18/03 08:23 AM Re: What do the pro's use?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I even use different mics for different jobs. DonM

Don .. I would be interested in the mics you use for different venues... I recently bought a Sennheiser 845 ... I think it sounds great ....
t.

#91048 - 02/18/03 10:10 AM Re: What do the pro's use?
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks guys, I'll forward the information. I too agree that every job poses individual challenges with accustics and changes that often take place during the job. While there are no hard, fast rules, everyone has their own, personal preferences. Any and all information is deeply appreciated.

In fact, if I get enough feedback, I may consider putting this into a book format. To my knowledge, there has never been a book dedicated to this particular subject.

Thanks again guys,

Gary

#91049 - 02/18/03 11:38 AM Re: What do the pro's use?
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Gotta agree also with Pro & Don
Two keyboards, different levels throughout.
P.A. what make?? Peavey's are a work horse, AudioPro, entirely diffent sound and quality.
Yorkville, Fender Passport, whatever...they're all different..and we haven't even gotten to speakers yet!!
The room generally will be the ultimate factor in what you use as a system.
I, like kbrkr, have a high powered system, but I don't use it to punch holes in the walls, or take out glass panes.
I just did a Valentine's gig on the weekend. The room was round. Have fun trying to eq that set-up!
Learn by experience Gary, 'cos every venue is just that....an experience.
Good luck in your endeavours.

[This message has been edited by Leon (edited 02-18-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Leon (edited 02-18-2003).]

#91050 - 02/18/03 11:53 AM Re: What do the pro's use?
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Leon,

As you said "The room generally will be the ultimate factor in what you use as a system.
I, like kbrkr, have a high powered system, but I don't use it to punch holes in the walls, or take out glass panes." I agree whole-heartedly. About 20 years ago, on rare occasions, I played with a country band that had one claim to fame--they were always too loud. The leader of the group would get about half blasted and say over the mic "We're not good, but we're loud." Over the years, I've found this to usually be the case--the folks that were not good usually played loud to compensate for their shortcomings.

Thanks for the information, and it will be forwarded to the folks that requested it.

Gary

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online