SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#90959 - 06/12/06 06:50 AM Re: ot/ Best Place to Buy a New Desktop PC System?
Rickideemus Offline

Best computer I ever got was from a company called ABS. They use all non-proprietary parts. I bought it in May of 1999. I am typing on it right now. It's been connected to the internet from day one -- most of the time broadband -- and I have ZERO virus detection. No Norton, no firewall, no nothin', and NEVER a virus or a problem of any kind. (Of course, I don't open email attachments unless I know all about the file type.)

It's a 350 Mhz K6-2 with 64 megs of memory, so it was already old tech when I bought it. It has Win 98, and when I do a Ctrl+Alt+Delete I see exactly two programs running -- Explorer and Systray -- plus whatever I have on the taskbar.

A couple years later I bought an 850 Mhz HP Pavillion. It's sitting on my other desk. "Windows protection error." I could fix it, I'm sure. But best I can learn from the internet, it will take at least 12 hours sitting in front of the keyboard.

I think ABS still exists. You hear about them whenever some PC mag does a best buy run off. They used to sell mainly AMD (Athlon, etc.) PCs over the internet.

I think I READ Dell is all non-proprietary now as well. Or they were for a while. Stay away from HP/Compaq though.

R.

#90960 - 06/12/06 08:04 AM Re: ot/ Best Place to Buy a New Desktop PC System?
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Make youre own computer,it's easy
and much cheaper,buy the best hardware and you cant go wrong.

Impuls

#90961 - 06/12/06 05:26 PM Re: ot/ Best Place to Buy a New Desktop PC System?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Rickideemus:
Best computer I ever got was from a company called ABS. They use all non-proprietary parts. I bought it in May of 1999. I am typing on it right now. It's been connected to the internet from day one -- most of the time broadband -- and I have ZERO virus detection. No Norton, no firewall, no nothin', and NEVER a virus or a problem of any kind. (Of course, I don't open email attachments unless I know all about the file type.)

It's a 350 Mhz K6-2 with 64 megs of memory, so it was already old tech when I bought it. It has Win 98, and when I do a Ctrl+Alt+Delete I see exactly two programs running -- Explorer and Systray -- plus whatever I have on the taskbar.

A couple years later I bought an 850 Mhz HP Pavillion. It's sitting on my other desk. "Windows protection error." I could fix it, I'm sure. But best I can learn from the internet, it will take at least 12 hours sitting in front of the keyboard.

I think ABS still exists. You hear about them whenever some PC mag does a best buy run off. They used to sell mainly AMD (Athlon, etc.) PCs over the internet.

I think I READ Dell is all non-proprietary now as well. Or they were for a while. Stay away from HP/Compaq though.

R.

Ive been using a Compaq laptop on stage & at home for a few years and never had a problem............some of my freinds have had excelleny results with Hp also.......why dont you like them?

#90962 - 06/12/06 05:27 PM Re: ot/ Best Place to Buy a New Desktop PC System?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Impuls:
Make youre own computer,it's easy
and much cheaper,buy the best hardware and you cant go wrong.

Impuls

I'm also looking onto have one custom made also...I have a week to go before I make a decision and buy one...we'll see!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-12-2006).]

#90963 - 06/12/06 05:48 PM Re: ot/ Best Place to Buy a New Desktop PC System?
Dnj Offline

#90964 - 06/12/06 06:10 PM Re: ot/ Best Place to Buy a New Desktop PC System?
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Donny, I have had wonderful experience with Dell, it's the only place I will ever buy a PC from now on. I have had mediocre experience with laptops from Sony and Gateway. Dell regularly have great deals, just keep checking in.

Graham

#90965 - 06/12/06 06:23 PM Re: ot/ Best Place to Buy a New Desktop PC System?
Dnj Offline

I hear you Graham.....Im hoping for a fathers day sale from Dell this week!!

Thanx for the recomendation

#90966 - 06/13/06 03:37 AM Re: ot/ Best Place to Buy a New Desktop PC System?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Yes looks like some very nice deals on the track that Im looking for ....I havnt pullled the trigger as of yet but will by weeks end........is this Dell Canada?

Yes, I noticed that Canada flag. I thought maybe it was because I was using FireFox, then I cleared my Cookies, it still comes up as Canada until you select USA from the combo box.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#90967 - 06/13/06 03:40 AM Re: ot/ Best Place to Buy a New Desktop PC System?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Build your own PC?
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm

I fiddled with making my own computer years ago. It is no longer an advantage financially when you start adding up all the parts. Also, it becomes a hassle matching the right components together such as the right size power supply, memory, CPU, Motherboard, then there are the different cases, power supply connectors to the various drives are different lengths.

Nah, I go to Dell and if something goes wrong, they come to my house to fix it!!! Yea, one less thing to worry about.

------------------
Al Giordano
www.al-giordano.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#90968 - 06/13/06 04:24 AM Re: ot/ Best Place to Buy a New Desktop PC System?
Dnj Offline

I like the Pentium 4 & HP front access configuration to all the gooodies eg: 9-1 card reader, audio, dual drives etc etc ..

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online