SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#90255 - 09/01/01 07:04 PM George or DanO, I 've got a Question?
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
They don't still manufacture the PSR-8000,do they? Companies still sell them new I know.
Are those just left over that they didn't sell? Or are they factory rebuilt?
What in the going price of a new 8000?
And what is the street price?
Do you believe it would a better buy than a
new midrange board? Maybe the new PSR-2000 or
last years 740? Please help me out all you forum buddies. Going to make a change before
long.
Thanks for reading,
Nobby
nobby10@nemonet.com

------------------

#90256 - 09/01/01 08:35 PM Re: George or DanO, I 've got a Question?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Nobby,
The PSr8000 is discontinued . Yes you may find a few in a store or mail order "new" .
I did have a chance to play the PSR2000 at summer NAMM (nashville) . It's going to be a nice keyboard . Better than PSR8000 . No question . I would wait to see the 2000 .
If anyone is interested I do have a PSR740 available used for $699.99 . Perfect condition . I like the multi pad feature better on the PSR74O . However the PSR2000 was only prototype when I played it . The multipads were different in the PSR2000 vs. the 740 , 640 .
If you compare the PSR550 to the PSR540 you will find taht the multipads are better on the PSR540 in my opinion .
Dano

#90257 - 09/01/01 09:29 PM Re: George or DanO, I 've got a Question?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Nobby,
The PSR8000 was discontinued the day the PSR9000 was introduced, which was 2 years ago this September. I've sold my last one's in the $1495.00 range about 1 1/2 years ago. If you like Yamaha keyboards, I would think that the PSR2000 will be a very good value. But, if you are only interested in spending as little as possible I have only one PSR740 left. It is a new keyboard that was on display and still has the 2 year factory warranty and I can sell it really cheap! I know Nigel doesn't like us quoting prices on the forum so you could contact me directly through email or by phone. I really want to move my last 740. I don't like old models around the store. I've not got enough room for all the keyboards I sell so I get rid of the old models quickly to make room for the new!
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
(Retired 2021)

#90258 - 09/01/01 09:46 PM Re: George or DanO, I 've got a Question?
Beakybird Offline

I own the PSR 740, and I'm very very happy with it. When I found out that the PSR 8000 only had two variations and fill ins per style, I completely lost interest in it. I really appreciate having four variations per style. I really like the styles on the PSR 740 and how they build up subtly from start to finish without ever becoming too busy. With four fill ins and four variations, you can really bring life to a song and the styles remain fresh to one's ears much longer. I find when listening to styles from the X1 or Korg styles converted, the styles are so built up that there is really nothing to do with the right hand without sounding a bit cacophonous.
I would go with the PSR 740 or the 2000, if you can afford it instead of with a used PSR 8000. I would only choose the 8000 instead of these keyboards if you're into a lot of midi playback during a performance, because the PSR 8000 has the hard drive and some well praised midi playback features.
Just my opinion.
Larry

#90259 - 09/02/01 11:39 AM Re: George or DanO, I 've got a Question?
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
DanO, George & Larry,
Thank you for your help in helping me deside
which way to go! I'll only be able to buy one board.That may very well be my last one!
If I buy a 740 now, then the 2000 comes out,
I would probably hate myself for getting in to big of a hurry! So I think I'll wait until
after I play the 2000 before I deside what I'll do. Don't anyone know when the
PSR-1000 & 2000 will be in the stores?? Many thanks to each of you.
Nobby

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 09-02-2001).]

#90260 - 09/02/01 12:08 PM Re: George or DanO, I 've got a Question?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Nobby, I'm playing the 8000 (again) now. I also owned the 740 and the 9000.
I wouldn't get the 8000 if I were you because the newer boards have a lot of extra operating features, such as 4 variations, extra intros, ending, fills, etc.
If you plan to use the onboard vocal processing and harmonizer, I would avoid the 740 because it is a little weak in that department.
The 9000 is excellent, and prices are going down since it has been around a couple of years now. If you plan to play it at home it would be a great choice. It's pretty heavy to haul around a lot, and still more expensive than the 2000 will be.
Seems as if the 2000 would be the answer. It's supposed to have direct from disk play of midis, and a lot more onboard room for songs and styles, so unless you really need a hard drive with LOTS of storage it would seem to be the logical choice.
Personally, my plan is to get one and also have a laptop for storage, midi play and lyrics. Both the 2000 and a used laptop would still cost less than a 9000.
I know you don't change keyboards as often as I do, but it will be nice for me to not have to worry about reloading the keyboard hard drive with all the songs. The laptop will work with any keyboard. (Even your 510).
DonM
P.S. Does anybody have a used laptop they would like to trade for something, or sell really cheap?

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 09-02-2001).]

#90261 - 09/02/01 03:04 PM Re: George or DanO, I 've got a Question?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Nobby,
The new Yamaha's will be in the stores late this month.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#90262 - 09/02/01 08:31 PM Re: George or DanO, I 've got a Question?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Don, Check out Ebay. I use a CTX EzBook 700 series. It has a built in Midi interface[ the only model that I am aware of that has this]. I have been using it for 3 years and you can't beat it. I won a bid for one 2 weeks ago for $300[gave it to my brother], and I just won a bid for another just like the one I bought new, Pent2,200mmx, 72 ram, for $285, this one is going to my daughter Candace..Fran

#90263 - 09/02/01 10:36 PM Re: George or DanO, I 've got a Question?
DonM Offline

Fran, thanks, I've been checking Ebay. There are many good buys on there from $250 to $400.
I'm trying to decide what features I will need, and what I may want, then see how it fits the budget (very small).
Ideally I would like enough power to play MP3's, a midi connection, a CD drive and an RCA TV out. All of course in a lightweight package with large monitor for a bargain price. Not asking much.
DonM

#90264 - 09/03/01 12:43 AM Re: George or DanO, I 've got a Question?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Oh NO !!! A TV out ????? Pleeeease tell me you're not thinking about a "K" type show?
( I can't even say the word!)
Don't sell out to the "K" singers - let them do their thing at the "drunk fests" that feature it. Try to keep live music free from "wanna be" singers that can't remember any lyrics. It's just NOT a good situation. I don't care how popular it seems to be - it's ruining our business. Karaoke is the devil. (there - I've said it)

#90265 - 09/05/01 12:48 PM Re: George or DanO, I 've got a Question?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Oh NO !!! A TV out ????? Pleeeease tell me you're not thinking about a "K" type show?
( I can't even say the word!)
I've said it)

Dave
I never understood WHY you disliked GEM...
It's obvious now

Seriously though, Karaoke ( I can say the word) is not a problem at all in Europe and no real competition for musicians.
It exists as a gimmic and fun, but also is used at schools during music lessons to teach boys/girls some feeling for measures, some feeling for singing etc...

Then there are a lot of solo pro-keyboard entertainers who do one night there usual performance and another night a karaoke evening.

Afterall performing music is for a large part intended to amuse people anyway.!
Whether you appreciate real performance , midi performance , even dj alike, The majority of the audience couldn't care less how you manage your performance.
As the majority of the professional musicians are not in the top ten charts, they need to make a living, and if that requires to do a karaoke evening, there's nothing wrong with that.

so I think I disagree

Fred

#90266 - 09/05/01 01:02 PM Re: George or DanO, I 've got a Question?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by freddynl:

As the majority of the professional musicians are not in the top ten charts, they need to make a living, and if that REQUIRES to do a karaoke evening, there's nothing wrong with that.

eeek! If I end up having to host karaoke shows, I'll be the first to 'get out' of the music entertainment business !

#90267 - 09/05/01 10:53 PM Re: George or DanO, I 've got a Question?
DonM Offline

Dave, the only time I use it is twice a year. Once at my kid's school to help with Christmas songs, and again at my wife's church Christmas party.
Both are freebies.
Don

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online