SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#89916 - 11/23/01 07:46 AM Bad report on SD1 (Synthplanet)
Maged Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
In an attempt to find out why Synthplanet.com is listing the Ketron SD1 $500 cheaper than the older model X1, I found a link in their welcome page referring to the new Version 2.0 SD1 software release where it says: “In an attempt to solve the many problems of this instrument, Ketron has - at last - released a new system software version for use with the SD1”
Looks like Synthplanet people have a problem with the SD1 and that might be the reason for its low price!!
I think somebody from Ketron should look into it.

Maged

#89917 - 11/23/01 09:48 AM Re: Bad report on SD1 (Synthplanet)
Denis007 Offline

Loc: Ottawa,ONT,CANADA
Hello Maged,

I don't think this is the reason for its lower price.
Probably the SD-1 in US has the same problems that they have mentioned.
It doesn't make sense that the OS Ver.1.0 for Europe is different then Ver.1.0 in
USA. At least it is easy to copy software package from US SD-1 to EUR SD-1 if there is a difference. But I don't think that is the case.
In the list of OS enhancements for 2.0 you can see many things that US users are waiting for (rootless chord recognition etc). So this will be equaly implemented on US models too.

I think the lower price has something to do with up to 20% discount for export out of Europe.
In Europe you pay special tax which doesn't apply if you order it for US. Don't forget that the tax is included in their price so you can not see it like in US. I think somewhere on the Synthplanet site you can even read about it.
I believe them because I had similar experience when I wanted to by accordion from Guerrini, Italy.
They told me that if they ship the instrument directly to me I will not pay the tax which others pay in Europe.
It make a sense to me.

Regards

#89918 - 11/23/01 10:11 AM Re: Bad report on SD1 (Synthplanet)
Denis007 Offline

Oooops,

Previous comment would be regarding the lower price for SD-1 in Europe then in US.
I have just noticed that you were comparing its price with X1.
Sorry ...that is a different story.
I think the reason for lower price then X1, as someone mentioned before could be the speakers which could demand more expensive production process or X1 is just more popular than Sd-1 in Europe.
I know that many people consider 5 octave enough for an arranger. I agree with that.
Of course if you want to play some jazz or classical compositions with you special voicing you will need more space for both hands but just few of them use an arranger for that.
When I want to play jazz or classics I need to move to 88 piano keys because nothing can replace that feeling, not even SD-1's 76 keys.
That's why 76 keys on SD-1 could be seen as "too big to fit in my car" and not so pupular like X1.
Maybe I am wrong ...

Cheers

#89919 - 11/23/01 10:35 AM Re: Bad report on SD1 (Synthplanet)
Maged Offline

Hi Denis,
I am not comparing the X1 to the SD1, I was just referring to the article on Synthplanet web site that describes the SD1 as a troublesome keyboard: “In an attempt to solve the many problems of this instrument, Ketron has - at last - released a new system software version for use with the SD1”

I personally own an X1 and I am very happy with the Ketron products, I was just wondering what was the reason for his statement on Synthplanet.com
May be I am reading too much into it !!

Maged

#89920 - 11/23/01 10:40 AM Re: Bad report on SD1 (Synthplanet)
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Hi Maged,
here in Italy the X1, far from being discontinued, sells still for a relatively high price and, even on the second hand market, is difficult to find one for less than 1900 euros.
So maybe Synthplanet is telling the truth, hinting to the "many problems" of this keyboard.
Andrea

#89921 - 11/23/01 12:19 PM Re: Bad report on SD1 (Synthplanet)
Henry01 Offline

Loc: Dublin, California, USA
Maged,

The reason for the low price of SD1 at Synthplanet.com is because they do not have ANY in stock. MANY items at Synthplanet.com are NOT in stock! It's a game they play...

Henry

#89922 - 11/23/01 02:51 PM Re: Bad report on SD1 (Synthplanet)
notlos Offline

Loc: Belgium
Hi guys,

Don't believe this story on synthplanet.
I'm from the same country as the store who
tells this sh.... The only reason they tell this is that they have no delivery from the
benelux importcompany (daytone). When those people want a sd1 they most import this from a other store (international). That's the way
this people do trade. I work also for a megastore in Belgium and we do business on the fair way.(like the most shops).
Greetings Notlos.
for demo's on the sd1 and x1: http://www.mp3.com/dirkbaert

------------------

#89923 - 11/23/01 02:56 PM Re: Bad report on SD1 (Synthplanet)
Maged Offline

Hi Henry,
That's what I thought too, many listed prices don't make any sense to me, for example the X1 HD with vocalizer is cheaper than the one without !!
It might be a marketing strategy to report problems in the SD1 to turn people off because they don't have it in stock.
May be !! http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/rolleyes.gif
Maged

#89924 - 11/23/01 11:01 PM Re: Bad report on SD1 (Synthplanet)
Denis007 Offline

Hello guys,

I don't think you should make any conclusion without having real evidence.That is not nice.All I can see here is just guessing.
When first SD-1 came to Synthplanet it cost US$2100.This was still much cheaper than anywhere else.This price wasn't displayed on their site just to be part of some "game" so someone can think that something is wrong with the SD-1.I've mentioned before that I have friend who ordered and received the SD-1 for that price.Nobody was even trying to change his mind about buying this model explaining that they don't have it in stock ...bla bla bla.
If they want to discredit SD-1 it would be much easier to not have it on the list and talk how they don't want to keep that "terrible" model in stock.I think that low price is doing quite oposite, attracting people to buy from them. I did't hear anybody complain about not receiving product from them after ordering.
You should also look at other keyboards and their prices(ex. PA80 = $1247.83...etc). They are also lower then in other stores. Does it mean that they want to discredit all instuments on the market ?
I don't think so

Cheers

#89925 - 11/25/01 05:56 PM Re: Bad report on SD1 (Synthplanet)
Guardman2001 Offline

Loc: USA
I had ordered a Hard Drive for a Technics KN6500 from Synthplanet for about a $100 less than US. I was told it was on backorder and waited 2 months without sucess. From what I heard, I guess the maker of the HD was having software problems, that they were trying to resolve before shipping. I finally cancelled the order without any problems. In their favor, they don't charge your card until they ship. I would consider ordering from them again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online