SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#89894 - 04/24/06 05:58 PM Sound advice?
powerimages Offline

Loc: monroe township, nj usa
A couple of months ago I purchased a Roland EXR7S and with the headphones it sounds great. I then bought 2 KC150s and the sound was noticeably different - I was not that pleased.

Any suggestions or sound advice? Appreciate it.

#89895 - 04/24/06 06:12 PM Re: Sound advice?
Dnj Offline

Why arent you pleased, pkease provide more info?

#89896 - 04/24/06 06:31 PM Re: Sound advice?
powerimages Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Why arent you pleased, pkease provide more info?

Middle frequency sounds too strong - not enough bass. Little bit too plasticy sounding.

#89897 - 04/26/06 12:32 PM Re: Sound advice?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
The KC150 do not deliver enough lows.
It's good enough in a band situation(where you have a drummer and a bassist) but not for a solo keyboard player.
You need a solid PA system for that.

#89898 - 04/26/06 01:23 PM Re: Sound advice?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by powerimages:
Middle frequency sounds too strong - not enough bass. Little bit too plasticy sounding.

What do you plan to do with your sound system?
What kind of music do you play?
Is your Master Kb EQ'd properly?
Are each of your Styles & Sounds, Smf EQ'd properly?
Do you need a Sub in a 3pc system or do you want to transport a two pc?What Mic are you using?

#89899 - 04/26/06 06:22 PM Re: Sound advice?
powerimages Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by freddynl:
[B]The KC150 do not deliver enough lows.
It's good enough in a band situation(where you have a drummer and a bassist) but not for a solo keyboard player.

Thanks for your reply. I'm a solo arranger player just for myself at the moment. So what kind of solid PA system do you recommend?

#89900 - 04/26/06 06:25 PM Re: Sound advice?
powerimages Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dnj:
[B] What do you plan to do with your sound system?
What kind of music do you play?
Is your Master Kb EQ'd properly?
Are each of your Styles & Sounds, Smf EQ'd properly?
Do you need a Sub in a 3pc system or do you want to transport a two pc?What Mic are you using?

Thanks for the response. I'm right now an amateur (use to be professional jazz guitar player outside the US but not for 30 years) so right now I'm just arranging and playing for myself. No microphone. No gigs. I don't even know what Smf Eq'd properly means. Play all jazz.

#89901 - 04/27/06 02:07 PM Re: Sound advice?
freddynl Offline

Quote:
[B]The KC150 do not deliver enough lows.

Thanks for your reply. I'm a solo arranger player just for myself at the moment. So what kind of solid PA system do you recommend?

Well, I don't know your budget ..
And I am not in USA so don't know the exact prices in USA, but basicly your setup should have ;
1. a mixtable
2. an equaliser
3. a woofer
4. two speakercabinets with good quality mid and high speakers.

Ofcourse there are several combinations, like selpowered speaker cabinets or reverse a powermixer which has the equaliser and amp built in etc...

The reason is that with an arranger you want to cover all the emulated built in instruments, which means the full audible frequency spectrum. (20hz - 20Khz)
In other words a HiFi soundsystem for all your instruments.

Since you were a jazzguitarist, you know you can't use your guitar amp for the base.
The problem with the most keyboard amps is that they have only a few speakers which need to do all, while you have an arranger with drums, base etc....

If you let us know your budget , I am sure we have lots of members here who can recommand a proper sound system.

Since you played live profesionally, It's very unlikely that a low budget sound system will satisfy you. and will be a waste of money. most of them sound canned..

You can have an excellent sound from a low budget keyboard with a good soundsystem.
You cannot have a good sound from the most expensive keyboard with a crappy soundsystem.

I allways wonder how some use crappy soundsystems with top end keyboards, it should be reversed if money is the issue.

Fred

#89902 - 04/27/06 07:13 PM Re: Sound advice?
powerimages Offline

[B] Well, I don't know your budget ..
And I am not in USA so don't know the exact prices in USA, but basicly your setup should have ;
1. a mixtable
2. an equaliser
3. a woofer
4. two speakercabinets with good quality mid and high speakers.

Ofcourse there are several combinations, like selpowered speaker cabinets or reverse a powermixer which has the equaliser and amp built in etc...

The reason is that with an arranger you want to cover all the emulated built in instruments, which means the full audible frequency spectrum. (20hz - 20Khz)
In other words a HiFi soundsystem for all your instruments.

Since you were a jazzguitarist, you know you can't use your guitar amp for the base.
The problem with the most keyboard amps is that they have only a few speakers which need to do all, while you have an arranger with drums, base etc....

If you let us know your budget , I am sure we have lots of members here who can recommand a proper sound system.

Since you played live profesionally, It's very unlikely that a low budget sound system will satisfy you. and will be a waste of money. most of them sound canned..

You can have an excellent sound from a low budget keyboard with a good soundsystem.
You cannot have a good sound from the most expensive keyboard with a crappy soundsystem.

I allways wonder how some use crappy soundsystems with top end keyboards, it should be reversed if money is the issue.

Fred

Thanks Fred for your extensive advice . Of course I agree with you on everything you said. Question here is not so much budget, but I was trying to see if I could avoid the many "pieces" and just have keyboard and amp. I guess that won't work. So will have to dig into some sort of budget - although not a huge one right now. Any thoughts on the "bare minimum" I could get away with? Also should I keep the KC150s or get something else? I have two of them.

Thanks again

Jon

#89903 - 04/29/06 12:20 PM Re: Sound advice?
freddynl Offline

Quote:

Thanks Fred for your extensive advice . Of course I agree with you on everything you said. Question here is not so much budget, but I was trying to see if I could avoid the many "pieces" and just have keyboard and amp. I guess that won't work. So will have to dig into some sort of budget - although not a huge one right now. Any thoughts on the "bare minimum" I could get away with? Also should I keep the KC150s or get something else? I have two of them.

Thanks again

Jon[/B]

Jon,

Is it for home use or are you planning to gig as well?? and do you have neighbours?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online