SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#8815 - 01/05/09 11:34 AM Style/Rhythm machines? any?
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Happy New Year Everyone.

You know those rhythms or styles as they sometimes called on the PSR S500, S700 & S900 and I guess the Tyros line... Where there are almost 200 different patterns each with 4 main patternas & 4 variations and sync starts endings and fillins?

My question is are there any products on the market like this without the keyboards? I had blast messin'round with a Casio last month and then did some research and it seems the upper PSR line and Tyros have the most complex systems for this, But I already have 4 keyboards and don't need.want another. I would just like to know if there are any stand-alone rhythm machines like this available. Does anyone know or have any recommendations? Very fun stuff.

Thanks, Peace.
Bob <><

#8816 - 01/05/09 12:32 PM Re: Style/Rhythm machines? any?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Sadly the options for arranger modules is VERY limited. One module is the Ketron Midjay, but it's VERY expensive for an arranger module. I think it runs $1,700 (which is REALLY pricey for something that's just sounds/styles and no keybed).

Ketron also makes the SD3 and the XD3. Again fully featured arranger modules without the keybed. Even these to modules are VERY expensive.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-05-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#8817 - 01/06/09 05:10 PM Re: Style/Rhythm machines? any?
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Yes, the MIDJAY can do the job.

But to be fair, the MIDJAY does more jobs than just the arranger keyboard duty. It also has a built in hard drive and can record and play back .wav or mp3 files, also can mix them with the MIDI at the same time in the real.

It also can change pitch and speed of wav files with very little artifacts heard and the vocal eliminator is there, too, to remove most of the lead vocal from a prerecorded track, karaoke style.

But if all you want or need is the autoaccompaniment, it may be overkill for that task -- or maybe not.

There are some softwares that can function as autoaccompaniment keyboards do via MIDI, a google search should bring up candidates, search for "autoaccompaniment software" and then sort out the ones that work from keyboard vs the ones that work via hand entered chords (Band in a Box, Jammer, etc.).

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online