SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#86111 - 05/15/05 06:39 AM Exploding battery?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
For any gear that requires batteries I have found Duracell to be the most dependable and long lasting. Last night I got a fresh, unused 9 volt out of my gig bag and found the bottom had burst open. The components were protruding out about 1/4".

I buy them by the sleeve, so it was not in its original packing. I always keep one in one of those plastic index card boxes that I use to store floppies. The box travels with me in a zippered bag similar to a laptop bag.

The only two things I can think of that may have caused this was 1) heat build up in my car (although it hasn't happened before)...or 2) some internal defect in the battery. Anyone have any other ideas?

In checking the Duracell website, I learned you should not refrigerate their batteries. It will not help them last longer. Hmmm....now I have to find a drawer to put a freezer full in.

Eddie

#86112 - 05/15/05 06:54 AM Re: Exploding battery?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
There are two things that can cause an alkaline battery to do this--excessive heat, and a short circuit. I experienced the same thing, and like you I also carry spare batteries in my gig bag. However, I now tape a small piece of cardboard over the terminals to prevent shorts. Last summer, I opened the bag to get out a fresh battery and it was red hot. The terminals had been in contact with a small screwdriver that was also in the same compartment which caused a dead short. Not only was the battery red hot, so was the screwdriver, and the battery was bulging out the bottom--bad news. Fortunately, I had another spare in the bag that was OK and was able to get through the night on it.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#86113 - 05/15/05 11:19 AM Re: Exploding battery?
StPatrick Offline

Loc: Bentonville, VA USA
same thing happened to me, but it was two batteries touching and I caught it before it exploded. I would just make sure you keep them in the sleeve until you use them. i've learned never to put 5 loose batteries in a bag, unless you're planning on incorporating pyrotechnics at your gig!

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online