SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#83195 - 06/11/05 01:18 AM Hmmmmm. Hurricane season again.
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Well, so I went through Ivan last year. Quite an experience for an ex-Wisconsinite. Well, now that I think about it, I was in a tornado in Wisconsin in '65. We lived in a 3 1/2 story house. We were on the second story and the house was going up and down like an elevator. What saved us was the roof blew off and this equalized the pressure, which I understand was a good thing or I probably wouldn't be enjoying my Tyros today. haha.

So, now the new hurricane season starts. It's hurricane Arlene. Guess where I live and guess where I am supposed to be gigging tomorrow night as it hits land. You guessed it. This is at a Marriott. My agent tells me that previously a band had to travel in the hurricane to get there, perform during the hurricane, finish that gig and went to another part of the facility that must have been a safety area, and performed about another 5 hours to help calm down the terrified people staying at the hotel. They were in the eye of the storm for 6 hours. When they were done, it turns out that they didn't save any rooms for the band. So, they drove home in the hurricane.

My agent tells me that this is right on the Gulf and that the hotel does flood, but the area I would play in is higher. I also found out, I would be playing right next to a window. Hey, great, I'd get to watch the winds and waves ,etc,

Needless to say, Jen and I are more than a little concerned. The storm isn't here yet, it can change.

I'm thinking I will check the reports tomorrow and between noon and 2:30 I'll know what I'm going to do.

I guess you can see what's on my mind tonight. Thanks for letting me mutter a bit..

Scott

#83196 - 06/11/05 01:22 AM Re: Hmmmmm. Hurricane season again.
Scott Langholff Offline

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention the hour and a half drive under good conditions during the projected time of the arrival of hurricane Arlene.

#83197 - 06/11/05 03:59 AM Re: Hmmmmm. Hurricane season again.
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Blow the storm away, Scott!!!

I want to talk more about history and languages with you in the future. So, look out for the storm. Look directly into its eye and show him with your aura that you're stronger than the storm!!!

Good luck, Scott! I'll see you after the storm...

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#83198 - 06/11/05 06:30 AM Re: Hmmmmm. Hurricane season again.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Surely there is an "act of God" clause in your contract. A job is not worth risking your life.
DonM

#83199 - 06/11/05 09:24 AM Re: Hmmmmm. Hurricane season again.
Scott Langholff Offline

Hey Don

If it could be dangerous, of course, I won't go. It won't hit land for about another hour yet, it's 11:30 now. It depends how fast it hits and what happens. I'll jut have to wait a bit yet to see what to do.

#83200 - 06/12/05 04:00 PM Re: Hmmmmm. Hurricane season again.
Scott Langholff Offline

So, Arlene didn't amount to much in our area after all. It was very unclear what would happen, as usual with Florida weather predictions. So, I waited as long as I could, it looked like it would probably be ok, and it was fine. The original hurricane projection was it would hit right on or between where I live in Pensacola or Point Clear, Alabama. It veered of to the east.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online