SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#82819 - 06/24/05 07:03 AM Went to a Duran Duran concert yesterday.
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Hi there all,
I thought I would share it to you, for anyone that's interested.

Went yesterday to the Duran Duran concert in Greece, (their only one so far, we are somewhat third world).

Mixed emotions. They looked (and they are) like some Brits in their forties. Most of the songs they played I knew since I was in high school (mid 80's), so it was familiar ground.

They didn't play in a theater or stadium, instead they chose a place near Athens, called Terra Vibe, where Rockwave Festival is taking place every year. Some kind of a forest clearing, the ground is not even, it has slopes, trees etc. but it is pleasant.

Anyway the sound didn't thrill me, I don't know if it was the place or the equipment. Guitar was very loud and clear, you could understand what the bassist or the drummer were playing at any time, but the keyboards were not too prominent in the mix. Sometimes I could see his hands playing but I could hear nothing like keyboards in the mix. Only sometimes when in song intros you could hear what the keyboards were all about.

I could see an Alesis keyboard and a Mac notebook, another 2 keyboards and that was the lot.

Some choruses seemed like a preecorded wav triggered by midi. Simon Le Bon (singer) became coarse very quickly (end of 1st hour).

Don't know If i would go again.

#82820 - 06/24/05 12:24 PM Re: Went to a Duran Duran concert yesterday.
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
DURAN DURAN ... took my daughter and 4 of her friends to a D D concert at Nassau Coliseum in New York when she was a freshman in high school ... about 1983???
t.

#82821 - 06/25/05 02:12 PM Re: Went to a Duran Duran concert yesterday.
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Duran Duran,
Now that rings a bell.
I saw them in Toronto a few times. No complains about the sound or performance. Mind you last time I saw them play live was in 96. I think...

Not really surprised that they no longer sound great since they haven't done much in the longest time.
Such is the case with most good bands of the past. Some don't even have any of the original band members with them...
I think Duran Duran is pretty much down to Nick Rhodes and Simon.

Here's a funny one!
When Duran Duran first started some producers in the UK raved about "That hot chick from Duran Duran". Even made up rumours about "getting it on with her". The usual crap.
Anyways, to make a long story short "that hot chick from Duran Duran" turned out to be Nick Rhodes himself...
I guess to some he looked like a girl... LOL

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 06-25-2005).]

#82822 - 06/26/05 02:42 PM Re: Went to a Duran Duran concert yesterday.
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
They were all there, the original 5 members.
They sounded as they should be, but they were no match for the Stones i saw in 98 ithink. Not talking musically, i mean about the technical aspects of sound. Stones sounded CRISP.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online