SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#81495 - 02/26/05 08:07 AM Re: Where's the best place to live?
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Dreaming? Do you think trying to improve my quality of life by getting out of New York is a dream?

I do not!
I guess nearly every place in the world is an improvement for life's quality. A fortiori if you're actually living in NY. That's right, isn't it?

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#81496 - 02/26/05 09:15 AM Re: Where's the best place to live?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Kybd:
We're all dreaming of that Ideal spot, I've been to NYC don't blame you a bit for trying to excape, I would be doing it in a minute. We're looking also to make a move to a more suitable spot, where we're at is great for a lot of things, but our place has a huge amount of upkeep, that we're geting to the point of not being able to take care of it. Have been considering (after a year of webb hunting) Poteau, OK. type it into your URL and take a look. Went thru there a couple years ago Its georgious.

We live on the eastern slopes of the sierra's 4600 ft el.

35 min drive to Reno omb heaven
cool cry summers
Mountains, valley setting overlooking a lake, pines, oaks, surrounds us, views are breathtaking
Small town atmosphere low crime and most ammenities in place
some snow usually melts off in a couple of days (this Winter it stayed for 60 days)
Temps usually runs from about 12 degrees F in th winter to mid 80's in Aug, but has gotten below zero and up to 98 for a few hours (usually in the afternoon) here.
Gasoline at present $2.09. Taxes are about average electricity is on a co-op so a bit cheaper Wages are a bit higher than average.
Tech jobs would have to be out of reno.
Schools are average with just a community college in town University of Nevada at Reno or Chico State is the only close schools, I would rate this area at a 8 for a place to live, The cold is not a problem if your a inside worker, but outside Its not the best.
Happy Hunting......Pose

#81497 - 02/26/05 09:27 AM Re: Where's the best place to live?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
The Pro,

Oh man, you make it sound so nice down there. I must admit to being tempted by the Atlanta area, but I've never been to Savannah. My wife and I are just enamoured (sp) with the Georgian homes and way of life. Unfortunately, we know all about hurricanes first hand when in 1991-1992 we lived in Miami and we are refugees of Hurricane Andrew. That experient turned out to be a literal disaster. We are willing to try again.

We've also heard so many great things about Hilton Head. It may be just a tad too touristy for us, since we are trying to get away from crowds.

Your idea of a visit is an excellent one. What would be the best time of the year to visit? During the Hot/Humid summer, Winter?

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#81498 - 02/26/05 09:43 AM Re: Where's the best place to live?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by loungelyzard:
Kybd:
(after a year of webb hunting) Poteau, OK.

Pose,

Very interesting. How did you come upon Poteau? What was your criteria and what other areas were on your top 5 list? Are you worried about Tornado Alley?

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#81499 - 02/26/05 10:18 AM Re: Where's the best place to live?
KN_Fan Offline

Portland Oregon....it has grown a lot for the past 10 years. Used to hate it here but now I'm liking it!

Technology: No shortage here. Even though I'm not in that industry, at least I know Intel is here and there are quite a few smaller companies out there too.

Music: Got quite a few events happening throughout the year, we have Portland Center of Performing Arts/Arlene Schnitzer concert, local events all the time, lots of places playing from 3 piece Jazz to folk.

Housing: Depending what kind of taste and where you want to live...but $200K can get you a pretty nice house (no big yard though).

Climate: Definitely not as cold as East coast. A little too cold for me at first, but now I'm somewhat adjusting.

By the way..I AM also looking for a Triton Studio tutor

[This message has been edited by KN_Fan (edited 02-26-2005).]

#81500 - 02/26/05 01:59 PM Re: Where's the best place to live?
loungelyzard Offline

kbrkr:

Basically we're on a fixed income and prices have gone over the top here in california. We're looking for a place, safe with privacy, where the economy slowly changes. Friendly but a good place to coast out our lives being confortable and not spending a lot of effort doing chores. where the weather is not to extreme.
Some things on the list: for Poteau (pronounced Po Toe) Driving distance to Vets hospt. Fort Smith 28 miles. Local hospitals, yes plus med centers. Near a good size City 25 miles to Fort Smith. Affordable homes Poteau 2000 sq ft about 110k to 140k (brand new 1800 sq ft sub div home from 102K) Low taxes poteau home for 110k taxes about 800 per year gasoline there is about 1.59 natural gas is cheap if you live on a section that has a gas well in some places its free. Rivers and streams abundant, pine forest on edge of town. most terain is rolling to gentle slopes with mountains around.
Most toranodo's go north of Poteau they seem to like the flats and not the hills and mountains. (don't think they've ever had one in the 150 yr history) fruits and nuts grow on your property with almost no care. Most houses are far apart on small acerage usually with your own stream and pond (all are full of fish). It sounds like paradise, but I see some drawbacks, If you get out in the woods you'll find the Indian redbug (chiggers) these little guys can turn you away from ever going into the woods again, at least they don't like me, some people they don't bother. The second and biggest in my opinion is the high humidity for about 3 months, the temps are not that high so cent air and overhead fans pretty well handle this inside, but the afternoons can be uncomfortable if your outside moving around. If your setting still under a pecan tree in the shade,Not bad.
If your a born ny'er the cultural shock might get you. The people are very friendly, and have nothing to fear or hide from, will introduce themselves by full name and tell you where they live. unlike NY or cal. where they might give you a first name only. or just mumble it. Usually a short time will settle down a outsider, to this slower Mayberry Rfd lifestyle.
Poteau is in the top 100 best places to live. And real estate is cheap because of children graduating and moving to the city to make it big. The main reason for picking this area for me is, I can sell our very nice home here and buy 4 nicer one's there for the money..
If you would like to see the home we're looking at. http://www.unitedcountry.com click locate a office, work your way to Poteau OK. and click show all listings click pg 2 look for price of 169k english tudor............Pose

If you do let me know what you think of it.

------------------
Support the arts
FEED a Musician
Cheers....Pose

[This message has been edited by loungelyzard (edited 02-26-2005).]

#81501 - 02/26/05 02:42 PM Re: Where's the best place to live?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Pose,

Looks like a great place to live, taxes are considerably lower than here in the People's Republic of Maryland, and the home is beautiful. The price for the same place here would be close to $750,000.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#81502 - 02/26/05 03:51 PM Re: Where's the best place to live?
loungelyzard Offline

Gar:
About The same here, but down in the bay area probably 1.5 mil....Pose

#81503 - 02/26/05 11:01 PM Re: Where's the best place to live?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
The Pro,

Oh man, you make it sound so nice down there. I must admit to being tempted by the Atlanta area, but I've never been to Savannah. My wife and I are just enamoured (sp) with the Georgian homes and way of life. Unfortunately, we know all about hurricanes first hand when in 1991-1992 we lived in Miami and we are refugees of Hurricane Andrew. That experient turned out to be a literal disaster. We are willing to try again.

We've also heard so many great things about Hilton Head. It may be just a tad too touristy for us, since we are trying to get away from crowds.

Your idea of a visit is an excellent one. What would be the best time of the year to visit? During the Hot/Humid summer, Winter?

Regards,
Al

I lived in Atlanta for a while and still do the occasional gig there. Too competitive a market there and very hectic... not really like the rest of Georgia but at least it's in the mainstream of concerts and stuff.

Savannah is real Georgia, lifestyle and all. It's shady and laidback. It has class and it also has a touch of New Orleans about it. Savannah was well portrayed in the movie and book "Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil". No place I like better, but it isn't in the mainstream so we don't get concerts like they do in Atlanta (that's all about Atlanta I miss). Otherwise Savannah is a beautiful lady.

Hilton Head is not as touristy as you might think... it's very contemporary and stylish. Nothing like Myrtle Beach or the like. Lots of marinas and such plus the golf-life is everywhere. Biking is big too - lots of paved trails. Over 250 unique places to dine just on the island alone. Hilton Head is kinda like one big manicured garden really. And just north of Hilton Head is Beaufort, which is very charming and scenic in that Savannah/Charleston way. Speaking of Charleston, that's another lovely and friendly city just up the road well wroth seeing... they have a little more tendency to get the Atlantic storms than we do down here for some reason.

The best time of year to visit is Spring and Fall I guess, especially September when it's warm but not as busy. Winter is nice but the beach is chilly then. Summer is crazed, especially July. Do not visit Savannah during Saint Patrick's Day when drunk tourists take it over briefly.

C'mon down - we'd be glad to see ya'll...

#81504 - 02/27/05 07:20 AM Re: Where's the best place to live?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim,

Maybe I'll make it on my next trip south. I need to go where the temperature is 75 or higher--damned it's cold here. I'm seriously looking for a place in the Florida Keys, preferably Big Pine Key or one a bit farther south.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online