SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#8110 - 01/01/05 11:14 AM Are vintage synths falling out of favor?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was just on ebay and I notice quite a few auctions for some vintage synthesizers on there. Most of the time it's be more recent gear being offered for sale. What's happening? Has the trend in vintage gear finnaly subsided? I haven't heard much about vinatge synths for the past five years. Some of the synths were at some reasonable prices.

Nigle do you know what's going on?

#8111 - 01/01/05 11:43 AM Re: Are vintage synths falling out of favor?
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
One Word..."Arrangers".
Personally I prefer the vintage synths, which is why I still use one.

You build the sound, it's not done for you.
Just my thots...

------------------
...L

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 01-01-2005).]

#8112 - 01/05/05 03:37 PM Re: Are vintage synths falling out of favor?
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
You don't see them much anymore because;
1. They are'nt produced anymore
2. They were sold very often to collectors or analoge freaks who will keep them.

I sold one last year which was gone within 24 hours for a very good price, so the market is still there but there aren't much for sale anymore.

It's the same with other vintage instruments.

#8113 - 01/05/05 03:42 PM Re: Are vintage synths falling out of favor?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am still finding a few on ebay though. Some at fairly resonable prices, others are rather outrageous.

#8114 - 01/05/05 03:51 PM Re: Are vintage synths falling out of favor?
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Agreed. They do sell. Just a few weeks back I was trying to track down an OBERHEIM Matrix 6 or an Xpander for a friend and we found quite a few. And just as Paul said. The prices range from good to outrageous.
Stuff sells like crazy though. We've lost three bids.

#8115 - 01/05/05 05:04 PM Re: Are vintage synths falling out of favor?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I keep hopeing that with the advent of software synthesizers based on vintage synths, and brand new analog synths, that the prices for vintage gear will drop. But I am not holding my breath.

I still have a fascination for a lot of these old beasts. Espically those made between 1970 and 1983. Since most were built by hand and came in wooden cases, and before the advent of MIDI.

#8116 - 01/08/05 06:45 AM Re: Are vintage synths falling out of favor?
Anonymous
Unregistered

And Speaking of Outrageous prices. I love it when people sell a vintage synth for $3,000.00 and then procced to tell you that it does not work or they have no way of testing it, or it partially works or something else is wrong with it. They way I see it, if it's broken or missing a part don't list it or sell it for $3,000.00. For a full functional synth, thats rare maybe I could see it. But not a broken one.

I don't see the deman for older gear now as say ten years ago. Espically not with software synths, and new analog hardware synths.

#8117 - 01/20/05 01:11 PM Re: Are vintage synths falling out of favor?
lowfrequencyoscillator Offline

Loc: atlanta , Georgia , USA
From the guy formally known as 800dv - ANALOG WILL ALWAYS BE MY THING !
I would rather play an old ARP AXXE than any sample playback machine .
I do see prices dropping , with all the analog modeling synths and software minimoogs , modular moogs , arp 2600 , arp odyssey , Yamaha cs-80 , phophet 5 , mellotron , b-3 , and the Cheese machine which simulates string machines . It puts expensive synthesizers and hard to find gear out for everyone at a fraction of the cost .
Why pay $2000 for a minimoog when you can get it for less than $200 .
If you must have hardware , the Alesis Ion has 3 oscillators per voice and it's less than $800 .

#8118 - 01/22/05 07:33 AM Re: Are vintage synths falling out of favor?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Low! I myself happen to like analog and digital synthezisers. Like the Korg Triton Le, Moog Minimoog/Voyager Arp Omni... just to name a few.

#8119 - 01/28/05 08:44 AM Re: Are vintage synths falling out of favor?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
There is no reason why someone can't have both btw... vintage gear and softsynths. In reading a few different forums, it seems as if a lot of players feel they have to go with either one or the other.

Not me. Right now the only hardware 'analog' I have ( modeled of course ) is the AN150 plug in that sits in my Motif ES6.

I detailed why I went to softsynths in another thread, but to add, one of the main reasons is because there are so many choices at low prices. Still, when the right analog or other hardware machine comes my way, at the right prce, I'll be happy to integrate it into my system.

I like sample machines for several things, but not for vintage analog emulations. They just don't do them justice.
I am however, happy to play the Rhodes emulation on a Motif ES6 rather than trying to drag a real Rhodes around with me.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 01-28-2005).]

#8120 - 01/28/05 04:15 PM Re: Are vintage synths falling out of favor?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I must admit that a lot of the software synthesizers on the market today, do sound really good. Like KORG'S Legacy collection and the MOOG Modualar V and the MINMOOG V from Arturia. Just to name a few. But to me the virtual version is no subsitute for the real thing.

Bob Moog makes note of analog synthesis in a recent article in the January issue of KEYBOARD magazine. He said the analog synthesis is the best means of sound creation. That digital cannot even come close. Which I can understand, and why he is still produceing synthesizers useing analog technology. Dave Smith is doing the same thing with his synths.

Okay back to my orignal point of this thread. I don't think that vintage synths are falling out of favor, but more or less out of the lime light. The had a good resurgance back in the Mid 90's when everyone had to have one. Now it's people are remebering or discovering a lot of the headaches one has to go through with gera. That some tend to get overheated, or they forgot or found out about osscilators drifting. Or discovering problems from taking this stuff on the road.

Even though vintage synths arent as sought after or in high demand as they were at one time. There will still be a handfull of people myself included who will want to own a vintage synth or two.

As for me a digital synth will work well for the Music that I want to create. As for the vintage synths, that is more from a collecters stand point. As far as software synths, I haven't really decided yet.

#8121 - 01/28/05 05:14 PM Re: Are vintage synths falling out of favor?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually I don't have a keyboard or means of recording music to my PC. Sorry!

I am saving up to buy a Triton Le music workstation. Once I have that and figured out how to record music to my computer and trasfer to MP3 then I will post music online.

[This message has been edited by Paul-61 (edited 01-28-2005).]

#8122 - 01/28/05 05:17 PM Re: Are vintage synths falling out of favor?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes I will! But I need to save money in oreder to buy the keyboard first.

#8123 - 01/28/05 05:31 PM Re: Are vintage synths falling out of favor?
Sanvean Offline

Loc: UK
Sorry about the posts not runnin in order but I was askin Paul to post up an address where WE could all hear his compositions......

#8124 - 01/28/05 05:40 PM Re: Are vintage synths falling out of favor?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your not the first person to aske me to post music.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online