SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#80496 - 04/08/07 04:29 PM Global Warming? Not here!!!
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Just getting back from 6 weeks in the Sunshine State (Florida), I expected to return to springtime up here in the north coast (northern Ohio). My computer says it's April 8, so does the newspaper and TV, but my thermometer says high of 30 and low of 20. It must be January! What's going on? I'm going back to Fla!

Glenn

#80497 - 04/08/07 04:38 PM Re: Global Warming? Not here!!!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I hear ya man! How can anyone deny global warming isn't right in our faces??? I live in southern West Virginia. I've been here for 10 years now. It snowed today on Easter here in WV. In the 10 years I've lived here, I've never seen it like this, and for the older residents they can't even remember when they last saw snow on Easter.

What's so bad is we had over 2 weeks of our normal temps. Just the other week it was 85 degrees. For several weeks we had all our windows open and the furnace OFF. Had to turn it back on. In southern West Virginia this weather is way out of place. Due to our normal weather temps from a few weeks ago our trees are looking more like summer now, and with the snow it's like "Christmas in July" down here.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 04-08-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#80498 - 04/08/07 04:39 PM Re: Global Warming? Not here!!!
zuki Offline

That's what ya get for having 6 weeks in Florida

I share your sentiments from Cincinnati.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#80499 - 04/08/07 06:44 PM Re: Global Warming? Not here!!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If this global warming gets any wose, I'll freeze to death! Isn't it ironic that all this cold weather is now blamed on global warming by a handful of so called environmentalist--including Al Gore, the wannabe president.

What some folks fail to realize is the hole in the Ozone layer has nearly closed, on avage the earth's temperature has been nearly 2 degreez cooler during the past decade, the polar ice cap is slowly increasing in size and the predicted rise in ocean level has been 1/10th of an inch during the past decade. However, the politicians that have jumped on the global warming band wagon are now looking at ways to grab more of our hard earned money.

Yep, some states have recently enacted a tax on energy consumption. This is in addition to the taxes they already charge for heating oil, natural gas, etc. And, they claim the money they collect will go toward studies to curb global warming. The question that comes to mind is, how in the hell can anyone expect to solve a non-existant problem by studying it? But, you can bet your sweet ass that there will be a whole lot of PHDs jumping on the money train and every one of them will tell you just how important it is that they study this to death--just like all the other problems they've studies and never solved.

Yes, I am synical as hell about global warming and all the other BS that has come out lately from state and federal governments.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#80500 - 04/08/07 07:13 PM Re: Global Warming? Not here!!!
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
There are always two sides to a story, Gary. I just don't buy yours. My hat off to Al Gore.

http://www.environmentaldefense.org/page.cfm?tagID=1011

#80501 - 04/08/07 09:28 PM Re: Global Warming? Not here!!!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I do believe global warming is causing severe climate problems in Australia currently. Climate across the entire planet has been changing quite radically. It is an issue to consider very seriously. This isn't just some US presidential scam.

#80502 - 04/08/07 09:45 PM Re: Global Warming? Not here!!!
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
The thing is, here in the west we're being fleeced by environmental taxes (here in Alberta, since 1992, it's $4 on the price of a tire and, more recently, up to $45 on a new TV - the tire levy alone racks up $12M annually for the Alberta government) while burgeoning industrial economies like China and India, which I don't think have any controls on pollution, carry on regardless. Are there any consumer levies being paid in these countries? I highly doubt it.

It's everyone's planet, let everyone chip in.

Of course, all this will continue unabated while we still continue to troop into Wal-Mart, etc. to buy cheaply produced products made in these countries. Turns out though, these 'cheaply produced products' are costing us all dearly in the long run.

#80503 - 04/08/07 10:36 PM Re: Global Warming? Not here!!!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You might have just left Florida, but last night it got down to 32F, a new record low for this time of year in Destin.

Global warming is about climate CHANGE, not just getting hotter. That can't be good (unless you already live in the Gobi Desert!)....

#80504 - 04/09/07 05:37 AM Re: Global Warming? Not here!!!
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I'm an anti-establishment rebel, but I disagree with Gary. I don'r know where you got your information. The ozone layer is larger over Antarctica, ice caps are melting. Polar bears are losing weight.
I don't remember it being so cold in April. Last year I was cycling to work in April. This April I have my winter coat on with the hood over my head. The weather is messed up, and it is caused by global warming.

#80505 - 04/09/07 06:03 AM Re: Global Warming? Not here!!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Guess you better check out the temperature on Mars too--it's warmer than it has been in 50 years. Those damned exhaust emissions! BTW: I got my information from a half-dozen interviews with climatoligist around the country as part of a newspaper article I wrote a couple years back. The scientific community does not agree with Al Gore. And, you may want to do some research of your own and check an article in last year's National Geographic Magazine that revealed the ocean level was not rising in the Gulf of Mexico as earlier reported, but instead the land was slowly sinking because of all the oil and water that was being withdrawn from beneath the ground and ocean floor. The same turns out to be the case in Florida as well where massive sink holes were created because of massive quantities of groundwater are being withdrawn by the agricultural industry for crop irrigation.

This is one of those subjects that should be aired in The Bar.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online