SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7854 - 02/25/02 09:11 AM Are DJ's really just actors?
optinone Offline

Loc: St. Cloud, MN USA
I see DJs acting like they're really accomplishing a lot when there tweaking the EQ.
How come DJ's get all the credit/exposure for electronic music?
How many of these DJ's actually make there own tracks?
Where can i turn my music into vinyl? Then i can just become a DJ and Tweak the cross fader. YEah COol.

Somebody tell me why they get the fame furtune and Pussy?

#7855 - 02/25/02 09:53 AM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
BEGIN TYRADE
the reason (producers like you) dont get fame and pussy, is most likely youre a fat bastard with glasses, BO, and tons of freckles that just cant rock product.

Djing is pretty wack if your mixing records from 130-135 bpm and AND thats all youre doing...

plus... tweaking EQ is also wack...

but the question is where is your ass with your setup? when have you played live? have you made the effort? if you have then why the fack you complainin...is cause your music sucks?

dont scapegoat another segment of the music industry for your failure...thats a sissy act. you gotta overcome that.

BTW why do you make music...is it for fame and fortune? forget that...wont happen for 95% of us and the 5% of us it does happen to well they CERTAINLY ARE NOT BITCHING ALL PUSSY HURT ON THIS FORUM ABOUT IT.

also...have you ever heard of skratching? juggling? drumming? on the tables...those cats are creating music with the tables and even though you may regard it as novelty and noise its coming up and getting mass exposure.

ever hear of DJ q bert...that guy creates entire songs using just 2 tables a mixer and his hands...its next level shit that you probably will discredit just cause you dont understand it.

there DJs and then there are human beat matching machines...decide which one you wanna scape goat for your failure

END TYRADE

#7856 - 02/25/02 02:32 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Be it ever so humble that I should get in the middle of this, but I DJ`d for a while and it is to me like gigging you have to load your gear /set-up the stage/ do a sound check and then hope you have a good night and people go home happy. If that happens your GOLDEN if not you just get`m go`n next time<>
jedi

#7857 - 02/25/02 05:48 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
DJing hasnt gotten all of the credit for electronic music these days because of other musicians inadequecies, its because its been plugged by MTV while real musicians are left out in the cold. MRT1212, you know this to be true, dont lie.

I can respect people who DJ. I understand that DJing in itself is a skill. But I cant respect them as "musicians" because they simply arent musicians. The turntable is not a musical instrument, its a machine that plays prerecorded material. I know that some DJs incorporate real keys when mixing. This is fine by me. I know there are DJs who could probably play many instruments, but that still doesnt make a DJ a musician. You are either wearing one hat or the other.

#7858 - 02/25/02 07:22 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
optinone Offline

YOu must be a pussy DJ spinning wack at 135 bpm. thats a pussies tempo.
Tweaking EQ is wack?
Try Tweaking cutoff and LFO frequency, thats wack, but you probably don't have a clue as to what the cutoff is or LFO. so shut the **** up.
My setup will kill any DJ rig, hands down.

By the way, Qbert is an exception, I know exactly what he does. Scratching and such are fine skills that need to be developed and maintained like playing any other instrument. Its those poser DJS like you MRT1212 that give qbert a bad name.
SO give it up and pick up a synth, try using some real creativity when tearing up sound space, not somebody elses record, looser wanna be electronic musiciann.
By the way im not scapegoating shit MRT1212, The industry is so saturated with posers piling up like a mound of shit, that I need ****inng wings to stay above it all.

To all my synth friends...
Im so pissed,
Can't believed this 130bpm pussy is telling me my tracks suck.
Rock Product?
Its not a product to be sold like some record to some target DJ. ITs an expression of my true self that needs exposure cause im real.

#7859 - 02/25/02 07:23 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
MRT1212 Offline

chris...i wont lie...that is true...but thats true for all kinds of music on MTV...

the fact is optinone specificly targeted DJs in his original thread...

and chris please check out DJ Qbert, DJ Atrak, the allies, the beat junkies, and the x men for examples of DJs that are musicians

#7860 - 02/25/02 07:43 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
MRT1212 Offline

right...you got me pegged...im just a DJ

i got synths...maybe not what you would consider a true synth cause its got presets and whatnot. yeah an xp-30...the keyboard you disdain cause you dont think it sounds good...

ha trying to quiz me on LFO and cutoff...low frequenct oscillator and fequency cutoff..yes i dont know what those are...

you dont even know what kinda music i make...to assume its electronic...thats dead wrong cause you never heard it. i could tell you what i do musicly but it serves not purpose cause im only in it for fun and to relax.

i dont care what other people think, i dont care about exsposure, i only care about doin the best i can do with the knowledge and emotions i possess.

you original message sounds like pussy hurt sarcastic whine about why your musical expression is bein heard. you know it, i know it, everyone knows it, if you arent promoting your ass off and you dont get lucky it wont happen.

guess what you also got it wrong thinkin im some DJ cause im not. i skratch..i juggle...i drum...i play keyboard...i do all those things cause i like to have fun.

and remember its message board...dont get too caught up in what is said...calm down son, relax take a deep breath...brush your little teeth and go to bed

p.s. hahaha you called a tempo pussy...you really are reaching arent you

#7861 - 02/25/02 09:14 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
Soft Machine Offline

wow... Egos are flying all over the place

Far Out

#7862 - 02/26/02 09:38 AM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
optinone Offline

I wouln't get so pissed if i didn't have some faceless wonder DJ insulting my character and music, when MRT1212 dosent even know what i look like or have heard my tracks. You insulted me MRT, thinking im fat with zits, sorry way off buddy. Attact the issue not the person.
Pussy hurt whine? thats not it... I use to play/sing in a Heavy Metal band, lots of exposure, everything heavy metal is about, never had trouble lining up a gig, people respected the rawness of it.
People don't respect rawness when it comes outta a synth. You think im whining, nah, im just saying how it is.
but i guess you wouldn't know cause you just do it to relax.
The scene is non-exsistant. DJs are presenting the electronic music, not the artist cause they probably can't perform there shit, I just want to perform. Im not concerned with the pussy or the fame, I already have that to a certain extent, what i want is to get behind a real PA and unleash some madness in the low frequency spectrum.
I work really hard to get exposure, but there is no respect, my location dosen't help either, and if i wasn't a college student working a job, i'd have lots more time to spend trying to get a gig in a world where the electronic scene is dominated by DJs who front.
By the way, use to have an XP-30, i hated that thing(not raw enough), i sold it for 200 bucks just to get it outta my face.

SOrry I attacted DJs. MRT1212 You obviously have a little more going for you than all those poser DJs.
By the way, Q-bert, DJ Shadow, DJ revolution some of the others you mention MRT1212, all rock, and are serious artist that deserve respect, but i would consider them to be more of the producers nature than DJ.
But anyways, thanks for hearing me out.

Karl

#7863 - 02/26/02 05:15 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
cBas Offline

I didnt read much of the above. I just wanted to namedrop.
DJ Shadow
Dan the Automator
DJ Z Trip
Q Bert
Kid Koala

and of course mastering a real instrument takes more skill in music like classical and jazz. But... whatever

#7864 - 02/26/02 07:41 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
cBas Offline

looks like I should have read the post. I guess they have already been mentioned.

Application to dream: Rejected!

#7865 - 02/26/02 10:15 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
MRT1212 Offline

optinone...where do you live...maybe i can help you get some exposure or a live gig...its a long shot but it might just happen

drop me an email at MarcT5@aol.com

#7866 - 02/27/02 12:26 AM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
novaheart Offline

Loc: Canada
Hey, some DJ's are artists in their own right. Todd Terry, Morales, Masters at Work, DJ sneak..and countless others - Im a synth player for 17 years and I do dance music but I still cant do what they do, Props to DJs, they deserve respect. You think you can do better?

#7867 - 02/27/02 05:15 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
slr-online Offline

Loc: England
Possibly.........

Here in the UK we have a TV show called 'Faking it', where they take an ordinary person and teach them an art via 'experts' for one month. After the month you are on your own and a panel of 'experts' have to decide if you are a fraud.

They picked a total introvert woman who had never touched decks in her life and she admittedly spent a month with 4 top London DJ's. After one month, she beat DJ's who had being doing the job for years. She even fooled the judges. They had her down as a pro DJ.

Not too sure if they attempted the same sort of thing with a more 'traditional' musical instrument.
If anyone knows otherwise, please enlighten me as I would be curious to know the outcome.

#7868 - 02/27/02 07:33 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
Chris Attison Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by novaheart:
they deserve respect. You think you can do better?

Not to sound like a complete egotistical mainiac, but umm..yeah.

#7869 - 02/27/02 10:14 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
And Michael Jackson learned all those dance moves BETTER than his choreographers. Some people just "get it" faster than others. All things take talent of SOME sort - lets not downplay the talents of others. It serves NO purpose. I buy what I like, and it makes no difference to me how the sound is made.
Truth is - without DJ's no bands would be working. Everyone wants their tunes PLAYED, right? Well - DJ's do the playin!
There's room for everyone. No DJ ever put me out of work, and that's the truth.

#7870 - 02/28/02 03:48 AM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
slr-online Offline

Loc: England
Michael Jackson has been dancing since he was six years of age. That is a mighty big difference.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not panning DJ's or their art form. Your reputation is only as good as your last gig and if you can deliver what the people want, and constantly do it at a higher level under that sort of pressure, then you deserve respect.

I have never touched a pair of decks, nor do I intend to, therefore I am not in the position to criticise anyone.

#7871 - 02/28/02 04:19 AM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'm with you, Sir !

#7872 - 02/28/02 09:48 AM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
dookiebot Offline

LOL @ this thread.

I'll put in my opinion.

There are a lot of suckie dj's out there with really stupid names. But you know, it goes the same with rock bands.

However there are a lot of DJ's that are awesome on the turntables and most of these type DJ's make techno music themselves.

1st of all, the DJ mixes. Have you ever just played unmixed techno tracks? They sound really boring, drums kick in, play for about 16 to 32 measures before a melody starts showing up and the song usually ends with another 16 to 32 measures of just drums. DJ's mix different parts of tracks omitting and adding what they desire to obtain a mix. Thus taking the original artist recording to another level. You couldn't do that with regular artist like Michael Bolton, hehe unless you mix in a sample of someone throwing up over his singing, that would be taking it to a new level. LOL

And DJing isn't just matching the beats of 2 records and moving the crossfader over. Well, unfortunatly there are a lot of DJs that only do that.

A good DJ has an ear for what record to mix with another, how to make the mix flow, and thus make the crowd react. You get a good dj with a responsive crowd and you have great time.

So to answer you question, "NO" not all dj's are actors.

[This message has been edited by dookiebot (edited 02-28-2002).]

#7873 - 03/01/02 01:52 AM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
novaheart Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Attison:
Not to sound like a complete egotistical mainiac, but umm..yeah.

Everyone thinks they are good.

[This message has been edited by novaheart (edited 03-01-2002).]

#7874 - 03/01/02 09:22 AM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
Chris Attison Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by novaheart:
Everyone thinks they are good.

[This message has been edited by novaheart (edited 03-01-2002).]

Of course there are better musicians than me,but we arent talking about me here. Face it, my 4 year old cousin has more musical talent than a DJ(considering that person only knows how to do the turntables). Anyway, screw this thread.

#7875 - 03/01/02 08:59 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
MRT1212 Offline

DJ assault...best dj ever

#7876 - 03/01/02 09:55 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
djboomstick Offline

Loc: newyork
im not a dj i just play one on message forums

but you can hear my songs at
http://www.geocities.com/teetotum/oldindex.html

no turntables were used. its a band!

#7877 - 03/02/02 08:34 AM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
cBas Offline

Anyone watch the product placement tour?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online