SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7864 - 02/26/02 07:41 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
cBas Offline

looks like I should have read the post. I guess they have already been mentioned.

Application to dream: Rejected!

#7865 - 02/26/02 10:15 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
optinone...where do you live...maybe i can help you get some exposure or a live gig...its a long shot but it might just happen

drop me an email at MarcT5@aol.com

#7866 - 02/27/02 12:26 AM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
novaheart Offline

Loc: Canada
Hey, some DJ's are artists in their own right. Todd Terry, Morales, Masters at Work, DJ sneak..and countless others - Im a synth player for 17 years and I do dance music but I still cant do what they do, Props to DJs, they deserve respect. You think you can do better?

#7867 - 02/27/02 05:15 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
slr-online Offline

Loc: England
Possibly.........

Here in the UK we have a TV show called 'Faking it', where they take an ordinary person and teach them an art via 'experts' for one month. After the month you are on your own and a panel of 'experts' have to decide if you are a fraud.

They picked a total introvert woman who had never touched decks in her life and she admittedly spent a month with 4 top London DJ's. After one month, she beat DJ's who had being doing the job for years. She even fooled the judges. They had her down as a pro DJ.

Not too sure if they attempted the same sort of thing with a more 'traditional' musical instrument.
If anyone knows otherwise, please enlighten me as I would be curious to know the outcome.

#7868 - 02/27/02 07:33 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
Quote:
Originally posted by novaheart:
they deserve respect. You think you can do better?

Not to sound like a complete egotistical mainiac, but umm..yeah.

#7869 - 02/27/02 10:14 PM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
And Michael Jackson learned all those dance moves BETTER than his choreographers. Some people just "get it" faster than others. All things take talent of SOME sort - lets not downplay the talents of others. It serves NO purpose. I buy what I like, and it makes no difference to me how the sound is made.
Truth is - without DJ's no bands would be working. Everyone wants their tunes PLAYED, right? Well - DJ's do the playin!
There's room for everyone. No DJ ever put me out of work, and that's the truth.

#7870 - 02/28/02 03:48 AM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
slr-online Offline

Loc: England
Michael Jackson has been dancing since he was six years of age. That is a mighty big difference.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not panning DJ's or their art form. Your reputation is only as good as your last gig and if you can deliver what the people want, and constantly do it at a higher level under that sort of pressure, then you deserve respect.

I have never touched a pair of decks, nor do I intend to, therefore I am not in the position to criticise anyone.

#7871 - 02/28/02 04:19 AM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'm with you, Sir !

#7872 - 02/28/02 09:48 AM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
dookiebot Offline

LOL @ this thread.

I'll put in my opinion.

There are a lot of suckie dj's out there with really stupid names. But you know, it goes the same with rock bands.

However there are a lot of DJ's that are awesome on the turntables and most of these type DJ's make techno music themselves.

1st of all, the DJ mixes. Have you ever just played unmixed techno tracks? They sound really boring, drums kick in, play for about 16 to 32 measures before a melody starts showing up and the song usually ends with another 16 to 32 measures of just drums. DJ's mix different parts of tracks omitting and adding what they desire to obtain a mix. Thus taking the original artist recording to another level. You couldn't do that with regular artist like Michael Bolton, hehe unless you mix in a sample of someone throwing up over his singing, that would be taking it to a new level. LOL

And DJing isn't just matching the beats of 2 records and moving the crossfader over. Well, unfortunatly there are a lot of DJs that only do that.

A good DJ has an ear for what record to mix with another, how to make the mix flow, and thus make the crowd react. You get a good dj with a responsive crowd and you have great time.

So to answer you question, "NO" not all dj's are actors.

[This message has been edited by dookiebot (edited 02-28-2002).]

#7873 - 03/01/02 01:52 AM Re: Are DJ's really just actors?
novaheart Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Attison:
Not to sound like a complete egotistical mainiac, but umm..yeah.

Everyone thinks they are good.

[This message has been edited by novaheart (edited 03-01-2002).]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online