SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#7544 - 03/30/02 12:03 AM Anyone sequence rock music?
Munsie Offline

If so, give me a link to check out your music. There doesn't seem that many users are sequencing rock music. Thanks...

#7545 - 03/30/02 03:08 AM Re: Anyone sequence rock music?
tekminus Offline

I think it's mostly guitarists or bass players who do that. Players that are not in bands, who need something to play along to.

I made a cd of some TR-505 patterns for a friend for practice purposes.

-tek

#7546 - 03/30/02 04:02 AM Re: Anyone sequence rock music?
Munsie Offline

Hi Tek,

The past 1 1/2 years I've been building a virtual band in my home studio. My goal is to put out a cd (or simply market the music over the web..) using nothing but virtual instruments. The only "real" instrument will be my voice. The hardest thing to make sound "real" has been electric guitars. I'm finally at a point where the "band" sounds realistic enough to fool the average listener, probably won't fool any real musicians ofcourse. My music is pretty straight forward stuff, so it doesn't require Van Halen like guitar riffs. But lately, people that have heard some demos of my music have no idea it's not a real band, and THAT is a blast to say the least.

My "band" mates are:

GigaStudio
Roland XV 3080, JV 1010
Yahmaha S80

I have been trying to find other musicians attempting something similar to compare to but I havn't had any luck yet. Sure, there are alot of dance /techno music that is all virtual but they don't really sound like a band either.

[This message has been edited by Munsie (edited 03-30-2002).]

#7547 - 03/30/02 04:48 PM Re: Anyone sequence rock music?
brainiac Offline

Loc: Chicago IL USA
Hello..........Your endeavors sound fine, but why MUST rock music be made with "real" instruments?
For years I used my synths to imitate "real" instruments. Todays technology is getting better, but anyone who has played a "real" acoustic instrument can spot a "fake" real soon. I was always never quite satisfied with my results because to my ears they weren't "real" enough. Now..........or at least for the past few years I have taken an opposite approach. Why have I been spending so many hours/years making my synths sound like something else? My synths are capable of making thousands of sounds that are unique and could never be "imitated" by an aucoustic instrument. Now........ instead of imitating I let my instrument express itself as only synths can. I have created some of the coolest sounds and now can truly enjoy the results. My songs now sound like the were made with a synth and I am proud of the results. Thinking back to the early days of synthesizers........the first ones sounded like nothing anyone had ever heard before. Listen to Walter Carlos's Switched on Bach. There was NO imitating any real instruments. Those sounds were purely electronic.

#7548 - 03/30/02 09:17 PM Re: Anyone sequence rock music?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Walter did a pretty good imitation of a woman later on in life......ouch!

#7549 - 03/31/02 01:22 AM Re: Anyone sequence rock music?
tekminus Offline

You think?

teehee

#7550 - 03/31/02 03:15 AM Re: Anyone sequence rock music?
kaboombahchuck Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
Your best bet is to use an amp modeler to complete the trick. Something like the POD by line 6, I personally like to use the v-amp by behringer........just a thought.

I prefer to have my litle brother come over and do the real thing, using a real guitar and amp.

[This message has been edited by kaboombahchuck (edited 03-31-2002).]

#7551 - 03/31/02 10:29 AM Re: Anyone sequence rock music?
Munsie Offline

I have all the amp simultors covered. Pods, J-Station, software amps, etc.

I AGREE that rock does not have to use real instruments, synth rock is very cool as well.

I don't have any music online yet, but demos are coming soon. Anyone have any links to rock music they have sequenced? Thanks!

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online