SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#74143 - 10/20/02 06:36 AM fact or fiction?
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
I just talked to a technician who services Hammond B3s/C3s, Yamaha organs/keyboards, etc., and he said that Yamaha bought out Korg a few years ago. This was new to me, if it is true. Can anyone tell me if that is indeed a true business fact?

#74144 - 10/21/02 03:49 PM Re: fact or fiction?
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
I believe they 'helped out a bit', I don't think they own them out right. Close cousins perhaps..

They did much the same for Priemer drums several years ago, not sure if they are still involved with them though.

------------------
The Sonic Energy Authority - a sound investment

#74145 - 11/07/02 10:43 PM Re: fact or fiction?
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
From what I know, Yamaha do have an interest in Korg. Ive also heard that Yamaha owns around 40% of Korg- whether this it true or not is another story!!!!

However this kind of business is not anything strange! Heck Emagic was just bought by Apple and they are still going to trade as Emagic (well that's what they are saying at the moment anyway!).

Yamaha keyboard actions are also used in alot of past and present Korg synths and keyboareds such as the Triton and Trinity.

However it's plain as day how different the instruments are between these 2 companies. Heck a Korg synth is easy to get around whilst a Yamaha is much mofe difficult to work out!!!!

Korg did bring out a couple of psuedo FM synths in the late 80's that were indeed quite massive flops (DS8 and 707). They did sound like an old version of the DX7 but were alot easier to use and didn't use the complicated operator/algorhythm structure of Yamaha's FM.

Whichever way, it does not seem to me that Yamaha is like Korg's 'parent' company.

Actually it would be really interesting to get the real story regarding the relationship between these 2 very well respected companies from people who actually work with both sides!!!!!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online