SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#73147 - 12/24/02 04:12 PM Any Info on XG WORKS??
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I have never seen any posts here about XG Works. I wonder why that is. It looks like an interesting program. $99.00 sure isn't expensive compared to the cakewalk v.9 Deluxe I already have. What are the pro and con's. I am thinking about downloading the free demo and trying it our for a month. I have a PSR9000
Any info appreciated as always
Bebop

#73148 - 12/24/02 08:53 PM Re: Any Info on XG WORKS??
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Bebop. I stand corrected on this, but thought I read that Yamaha had decided to not produce XGWorks anymore...???
Possibly someone can tell me I am wrong.

Graham UK

#73149 - 12/25/02 06:51 AM Re: Any Info on XG WORKS??
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
There are all kinds of rumours flying around - Yamaha are not going to produce it any more - Yamaha are bringing out a new program altogether - Version 4 is out already (it is but only for Japan). My buddy here in Canada had to order it from the UK as it wasn't available anywhere else. We had a good look at it and were very disappointed. For us keyboard users XGEdit seems to be the way to go aided by Cakewalk. See my post on the Arranger forum for other XGWorks comments.

Bryan

#73150 - 12/25/02 03:35 PM Re: Any Info on XG WORKS??
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Hello........I have used XGworks for 3 years. I also use PowerTracks Pro for sequencing and recording. I've never used XGedit. Xgworks has a good interface/layout for tweaking all the XG parameters. You can go into as much detail as you wish, or just change basic settings. Of course you must have an XG instrument/soundcard to use make these changes. As for its sequencing\recording capabilities its OK, but I like PowerTracks better, if only because I have become quite familiar with it.
I think I have updated my XGworks 3 times, but never noticed any changes after installing the patches. Yamaha USA has been a disappointment in its promotion and support of XGworks. I have gotten much more support/patches from YamahaUK........go figure? If Yamaha does come out with a new version, I certainly hope that program has support for PSR style editing/making. I'm planning on buying a PSR2000 in January.

#73151 - 12/26/02 03:49 AM Re: Any Info on XG WORKS??
thq Offline

Loc: HCM City, Vietnam
I'm very interested in sequencing XG midis... But I don't know how to edit my midi with XG stuff! Could anyone tell me which soundcard support XG and good for sequencing XG midis on PC! Please answer me...! Thanks!

#73152 - 12/26/02 07:36 AM Re: Any Info on XG WORKS??
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
XGEdit isn't a sequencer. It's for generating sysex messages to XG synths. It's good for driving the keyboard to get at all those features that aren't normally accessible. XGWorks will do the same sort of thing but XGEdit will do it in real time with a virtual Midi controller screen. As I mentioned on the arranger forum, all these products are really designed for XG sound cards such as the SW1000XG which is a really powerful synth. So they won't address all the special features of arranger keyboards. I've used a lot of sequencers but like Rattley I use PowerTracks and also Cakewalk as both are powerful and easy to use. In addition it's easy to add XG instrument definitions to both of them. You have to do your own sysex though but the advantage of Cakewalk is that you can use Studioware panels to generate the sysex for you. There are plenty of them around for free download.

Bryan

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online