SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#72807 - 11/14/00 01:24 PM is PSR-740 a good keyboard?
superedd Offline

Loc: mexico df
I want to buy a PSR-740 but I want to know if this keyboard is good enough. I have a Psr-630 and its good but it has VERY POOR poliphony AND NO MODULATION WHEEL I want the keyboard for use at home makinG secuenses at 16 tracks with voices and ritm styles and i play the keyboard at church. Is the poliphony of the 740 is 64 notes TRULY EFFECTIVE. I know that the early versions of PSR-x30 series have Bios ploblems, is this happens again in the PSR-740. ¡HELP ME PLEASE !
thanks in advance. EDD FREEMAN eddweb@correoweb.com

[This message has been edited by superedd (edited 11-14-2000).]

[This message has been edited by superedd (edited 11-14-2000).]

#72808 - 11/14/00 03:42 PM Re: is PSR-740 a good keyboard?
KeyboardFreak Offline

What's your price range?????

------------------
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

#72809 - 11/15/00 09:10 AM Re: is PSR-740 a good keyboard?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
If your only complaint with 630: the polyphony and the wheel, then you cannot go wrong with 740. Especially, 740 comes with more than just a wheel and a polyphony.

However, what is your price range? *smile*

If you are willing to pay more, you can get do better.

#72810 - 11/15/00 10:42 AM Re: is PSR-740 a good keyboard?
superedd Offline

HI KeyboardFreak I CAN PAY ABOUT $1000.00-$1200.00 U.S. IN MEXICO THE ONLY OPTION WITH 64 NOTES POLIPHONY,FLOPPY,MODULATION,PITCH BEND AND SECUENCER IN THIS RANGE OF PRICE IS THE 740, DO YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THIS KEYBOARD, DO YOU KNOW ABOUT BIOS PLOBLEMS?. THANKS. E D D

#72811 - 11/15/00 10:56 AM Re: is PSR-740 a good keyboard?
superedd Offline

HELLO sk880user I´M SPECIAL WARRIE ABOUT POLYPHONY AND MODULATION OF COURSE I´M VERY INTERESED ABOUT OTHER FUNTION LIKE NEW VOICES, MORE EFFECTS ETC. MY PLOBLEM IS THAT I DON'T KNOW SOMEBODY WHO HAS THIS MODEL AND TELL ME REFERENCES OF HOW GOOD IS IT. THANKS FOR HELP

[This message has been edited by superedd (edited 11-15-2000).]

#72812 - 11/15/00 12:23 PM Re: is PSR-740 a good keyboard?
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
I am considering buying a 740 too. But I am also looking at different models.(Price online $1099,--)

Like the Roland G-1000, i tried it in the store but i personaly didn't care for the styles. It does have a ZIP drive and a SCSI port. (Price online $1099.--)

Or the General Music WK6, i haven't found one in the store yet but I used to own a SX2 from this brand. Great styles and sounds.
The WK6 has a Hard Disk and memory to load new sounds (reads most sample formats).
(Price approx. $1500,--)

One of the thing I miss on the 740 is a MIDI-TRU port. Specially if you have more equipment and do some sequencing like me you need that extra port. Both the GM and the Roland have actual Master Keyboard functions such as Double Midi ports.

A step up on the Yamaha range brings you to the PSR-9000. Great board, but $2700,--???

Good luck, and let me know your opions on these issues.

#72813 - 11/15/00 07:39 PM Re: is PSR-740 a good keyboard?
KeyboardFreak Offline

Hey Edd..... what do you consider a sequencer????? Are you looking for onboard auto-accompaniment or just the ability to program stuff in???? Like arnothijssen said, there are some other options out there.... he named the Roland G-1000 which is probably very similar to the PSR-740... sorry, I haven't used either of them...... I don't know about the bios issue either, all I know is what I read online and what I can gather from the specs on these synths (I do a LOT of research on here) The G-1000 has programmed "styles" which would give you good accompaniment, I think it has a sequencer too..... as for the modulation, pitch bend, etc..... Almost every keyboard in that price range will have that, the G-1000 is no exception, and it has 64-note polyphony (though I don't know how well it handles the polyphony) The Roland XP-60 is also worth looking at.... the only thing that would be lacking that these other two have is accompaniment styles... The XP has good sounds, 64 polyphony, modulation/pitch bend joystick, floppy drive, etc.... it's price on www.zzounds.com is around $1300

It would probably be easier and better for you though to go with the PSR-740... seeing as you already know how to use a PSR keyboard. The PSR-630 you mentioned having is probably an earlier model than the 740. The 740 is Yamaha's best workstation out there right now (leaving out the multi-thousand dollar PSR 8000's and 9000's of course) Plus you have onboard speakers with the PSR... (neither of the Rolands have onboard speakers) I would guess that since the *40 line of PSR's is a completely new line, that Yamaha would have fixed the problems they had with the earlier *30's I say go ahead and get the PSR-740.... it's the best thing out there for what you want (at least that I can find) Like sk880 said.... if you want, you could probably do better by spending more (around $500-700), but that's almost half again as much and the 740 will probably do you just as good. Hope I helped you.

------------------
John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

#72814 - 11/16/00 05:20 AM Re: is PSR-740 a good keyboard?
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
Be aware though that the G-1000 does have real styles and accomp. like a yamaha and the XP series don't. They both have a sequencer on board.
I personally have never heard about poly problems with either one of these boards.
Last week, I played a G-1000 in the store and
I didn't like the styles at all and the operating system is way to complicated. I hate how they store sounds and styles in different banks. Too many buttons too press to get the right performance set up.

The G-1000 does not have on board speakers but it's housing is very sturdy and made for podium use. If you want the same board in a "home" version with speakers, try the EM-2000

Try to find a general music dealer in your area and see the WK6 or the SK760!

#72815 - 11/16/00 06:46 AM Re: is PSR-740 a good keyboard?
KeyboardFreak Offline

Hey Edd...... There is a hot discussion about the Casio MZ-2000 in the arranger keyboard forum on this site. The MZ-2000 appears to be a worthy competitor to the PSR-740.... maybe even a little better. Go check out the page and see what you think. The MZ-2000 has onboard speakers, styles (and the ability to load more), a sequencer, 64-note polyphony, an arpeggiator, user styles. Here's what www.musiciansfriend.com has to say....

"A powerful board that doubles for workstation and performance! 61 full-size keys with initial and after-touch. 64-note polyphony. 486 tones, plus 15 drum sets, and 40 user programmable sounds. 120 preset rhythm/accompaniment patterns, plus 10 user patterns. 9-bar digital drawbar featuring 20 tones. An effects system with reverb and chorus on 3 channels, DSP effects on 4 channels. It performs splits, layers, and 12 types of harmonizing, and 15 arpeggio types. A built-in mixer lets you mix 15 internal channels, a mic channel, and 16 external channels. A sequencer lets you build 17 tracks x 10 songs (40,000 notes) using realtime or step recording, plus punch-in, and performs song edits. Allows control for intros, endings, variations, fill-ins, fade in/out, syncro start/stop. Realtime controls include slider, selector dial, pitch bend wheel, assignable mod wheel, assignable switch, and sustain switch."

I wouldn't go thinking "Man, it's a Casio... they're just toys".... this thing looks serious, and it's only $1300 here's the direct link..... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/k...0&netpid=706011

What do you think??

------------------

#72816 - 11/16/00 02:15 PM Re: is PSR-740 a good keyboard?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I think KeyboardFreak should go into politics! I never heard so much advice about items that you never even played! This place is all about help - but please, try to limit your advice to areas that you actually HAVE experience with. I think too many of the people posting here have a little too much time on their hands. I for one, would like to see less attitude and comedy and more informed opinions. I'll refrain from commenting on the 740 at this time - I'm just too busy to "make up" stuff about it. I'll leave it to the "experts"
(there, I've made my point - sorry if it hurts)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online