SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#72372 - 06/29/00 04:02 AM New Boy with DJX enquiry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello folks. First things first - I am NOT Maryland under another name.....I don't even want to go there re: non-music discussions about personalities etc.

I'm sort of new to music production - many of my friends are studio engineers or producers themselves, and I've been DJ'ing for about 6 years.
I've recently bought a DJX as an introduction to the world of electronic music production, and currently have it MIDI'd up to Cubase (on an Atari ST, no less!).

I'm a wee bit apprehensive about posting anything to do with DJXs on this forum, but here goes....

The DJX doesn't seem to lend itself to being controlled by a sequencer, and I'm having problems trying to get the patterns from the DJX into Cubase. I've been trying various combinations of 'Local On/Off', Pattern On/Off', selecting different channels in Cubase, etc, but all I'm getting is an apparently freaked out keyboard!!

Does anyone have any clues as to how I get patterns (from the'Style' section) into Cubase??

#72373 - 06/29/00 11:59 AM Re: New Boy with DJX enquiry
trevord Offline

i don't have a djx
but i have done the same thing with cubase and other synths
first thing is to get the two synchronized
one has to be midi master the other midi slave
in cubase setup the "Synchronization" menu
send the mtc and midi clock out the midi to the djx
tell the djx to run off the external clock
(i dont know how you do this)

now the patterns should be recorded correctly

trevor

#72374 - 06/29/00 02:49 PM Re: New Boy with DJX enquiry
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Here is my question:

Does DJX transmit midi while playing patterns?

I had an older yamaha keyboard that is midi capable. I wanted to copy the styles and basically the problem is that it does not transmit the style via midi. The best it can do is trasmiting the chord that I play on my left hand and that is it.

Now I know the DJX is relatively newer keyboard but that is one of the first checks I would do:

1) does it transmit patterns via midi

2) If yes, does midi packets arrive to pc. (that is the reason I love external midi adapters with leds)

3) If yes, is cubase synchronized correctly to keyboard.

#72375 - 06/29/00 02:55 PM Re: New Boy with DJX enquiry
Slap D Offline

Loc: Byron Bay, Australia
Hey Stricky,
Slap knows exactly what you're going through...been there, done that, can help.
Firstly you need a studio module driver and mixer maps for the sounds within the DJX.
Fortunately, a kind soul named Andy Mc has designed them 4 us ( I can't send attachments from here, e-mail me & I will send them 2 U).
From there, there's a whole bunch of stuff to configure (pattern out, external clock on etc) - it's soooo sweet to have it working!

Slap D

#72376 - 07/01/00 11:20 AM Re: New Boy with DJX enquiry
Anonymous
Unregistered

Look everybody its Maryland under a diffrent name. Stone him!!!

Just playing Stricky, I think that Nigel banned his butt for good, I think he banned his IP. But everybody sure does use the DJX a lot and many people down it and says that it a house keyboard and a toy that you'll find at toys R us. Is the DJX that bad, I played it befor didn't realy seem like a house keyboard though. Has anybody in here made music with there DJX that they would like to post becuase I would like to hear it.
------------------
"The man with the black glove didn't kill her, It was the mail man."
-Green Day -

[This message has been edited by Larry Jones (edited 07-01-2000).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online