SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#72341 - 09/09/99 10:30 PM CS2X and what else??
DJ CAKEMIX Offline

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
HI i just bought a CS2X and am looking for a sequencer or drum machine to go along with it... any suggestions ??? thanks

#72342 - 09/10/99 12:43 AM Re: CS2X and what else??
drei Offline

Loc: queens,ny,usa
Hi. You answered my post down below. what kind of sounds can i get with the CSX2 besides the basic piano,drum, bass etc.? You said i needed a drum machine with it. i have a Boss Dr. 202 (paid $350 three months ago for it. I use it mainly for reggae sounding drum beats/bass and i try hip-hop with it but that's harder to achieve with this machine. It depends on what type of music you want to make with the drummachine and your budget. In my opinion any drummachine that's has a lot of voices can do just about anything you want, it just depends on your skill and your creativity. (in other words my machine could give me hip-hop drums if i put the time in and were more creative- and i will be!). others may think different. some drummachines are expandable also; if you find out how to use drummacines to the utmost let me know. Here is another more expensive drummachine i have had recommended:
If you want a sampling drum machine, I would pick up an Akai MPC2000. It allows you to load and sample your own sounds, has an extensive existing sample library, and allows you to hook up your keyboards and other MIDI equipment to it for recording. It's pretty much the standard in sampling drum machines. If you're starting out, the MPC is great- it's powerful and easy to learn. Matter of fact, many dance, hip-hop, techno, house and R&B hits were created with this unit alone, with nothing else needed. It costs around $1200-$1400. Oh yeah- it's also portable. All else fails go to www.yahoo.com and type in the keywords 'drummachine museum' and then visit that site. This site lists the drummachine manufacturers and you can check out the specs there.

#72343 - 09/10/99 05:16 PM Re: CS2X and what else??
DJ CAKEMIX Offline

HEY the sounds that the CS2X; it's got all the piano/bass/guitar but quite a bit more good sounds.. the arpegiattor is pretty cool and the sound editing is reall easy - it's a good keyboard just i really need a drum machine to go along with it.. the Akai MPC2000 is a little too expessive for me.
the Boss Dr. Groove looks to what i need it's a lot cheaper then the MPC2000 . i hear it's got a three tract sequencer and good real-time controls so i'm considering that- do ya think it's a good buy? and would combine well with the CS2X? thanks

#72344 - 09/10/99 11:06 PM Re: CS2X and what else??
drei Offline

Loc: queens,ny,usa
Yeah it has 3 'pattern' sequencer but the third you have to buy it (Boss recommends the SR 202); or maybe you could use the Yamaha CS2X. It's confusing because the first two sequencers are the internal drum and bass. Basically what you do is take 'patterns' of drum and/or bass and combine them with third pattern from a sampler and build songs from the patterns. The knobs are real time. In my opinion this drummachine is easy to use and learn as a beginning machine or if you just want to make music as a hobby. I think the price tag is too high for this unit. i would therefore recommend it with reservations. Oh yeah personally i would like more drum sounds also; unfortunately this unit doesn't seem to be expandable (someone can correct me if i am wrong).

#72345 - 09/11/99 11:32 AM Re: CS2X and what else??
DJ CAKEMIX Offline

yeah so is there a better machine than Dr. Groove but not as expensive as the Akai MPC
that would go well with the CS2X?

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online