SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#71719 - 08/28/03 06:26 AM Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
talkbox_master Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USa
If you like the synthesized sound of Roger Troutman's signature talkbox and you have a Yamaha DX100 (which Roger used in the 90's), a Golden Throat talkbox and 40watt plus amplifier, then you're in luck... post your questions about the signature sound of Roger Troutman here and get some incredible, valuable knowledge about it and the parameters used on the DX100 by Troutman for years.

#71720 - 08/28/03 08:42 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
danb Offline

Yeah, what kind of talkbox is it? I thought he's using vocoder. I hate putting something in my mouth.

#71721 - 08/28/03 09:45 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
talkbox_master Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by danb:
Yeah, what kind of talkbox is it? I thought he's using vocoder. I hate putting something in my mouth.

He used a talkbox which requires a vinyl tube to be inserted into the mouth... if you seen him in concert or footage you can see that... he used a Electro Harmonix Golden Throat in the beginning which aren't made any more. He made his own talkboxes after discovering how they where made and used more than one type of horn driver (which is what a talkbox really is).

Roger didn't use vocoders... a vocoder is a different effect... if you ever heard any of MIDNIGHT STAR'S music like NO PARKING ON THE DANCE FLOOR that's a vocoder... if you heard DANCE FLOOR, MORE BOUNCE... that's a talkbox... there is a big difference.

[This message has been edited by talkbox_master (edited 01-06-2004).]

#71722 - 08/28/03 10:32 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
danb Offline

I missed their concert here in San Diego. But according to my friend they are using 2 mini keyboards. I believe it's DX100. does it have to a DX100? Can we use any other keyboard. Which patch or sound from DX100 does Roger always used to obtain that effect? Those harmony like in the song "Computer Love" is it achievable with only one voice using that talkbox and at the same time playing chords in the keyboard?

Thanks,
Dan

#71723 - 08/28/03 10:50 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
talkbox_master Offline

Quote:
I missed their concert here in San Diego. But according to my friend they are using 2 mini keyboards. I believe it's DX100. does it have to a DX100? Can we use any other keyboard. Which patch or sound from DX100 does Roger always used to obtain that effect? Those harmony like in the song "Computer Love" is it achievable with only one voice using that talkbox and at the same time playing chords in the keyboard?

Thanks,
Dan

Yes, Roger was using the Yamaha Dx100 keyboards... the chords you are hearing on their music isn't chords being played through his talkbox... it's single vocals tracks panned to create that chords/harmonization effect... there is a vocal in each ear when it happends... listen closely to their music and you can discover it.

The patch on the Dx100 being used is a sound that you have to alter slightly and using a HEIL SOUND talkbox or any other talkbox on the market won't have that same sound or loudness needed to control that sound coming out your mouth.

If you want that sound, it's always best to use the same equipment as Roger did... those Golden Throat horn drivers can take 110 watts... but that's not the only driver Roger used throughout his career but it is the one he used in the recording studio with his Minimoog Synthesizer and Yamaha Dx100... he also used the JBC drivers (which aren't made any more also.)

[This message has been edited by talkbox_master (edited 01-05-2004).]

#71724 - 08/28/03 12:46 PM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
danb Offline

Okay, we all know that DX100 is not available anymore. And those talk back and some other gadgets you mentioned that Roger is using is either expensive or hard to find. What will be the cheapest alternative to achieved Roger Troutman style at least 75-85%? What kind of equipment you're using?

#71725 - 08/28/03 01:33 PM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
talkbox_master Offline

Okay, well... I personally use a Yamaha DX100 with a Radio Shack Optimus MPA-50 40watt Amplifier with my own custom made Golden Throat talkbox I call the Golden Throat LE... once you have the necessary items and those correct settings... you will have that sound but... you can sometimes come across the old EH Golden Throat at www.ebay.com as well as the Dx100 there too.

... for an alternative... the Yamaha DX27 or DX21 keyboards with a horn driver that's frequency response is between 100Hz-8,000kHz and a Fender Frontman 15 Series 1 Amplifier (15watts).

You can find the Dx27 and Dx21 at ebay and the Frontman 15 amp too. You basically want a keyboard where you are able to alter the orginal sound and change it into Roger's signature talkbox sound... you want a keyboard that has either the FM PULSE or FM SAWTOOTH sounds on them.

[This message has been edited by talkbox_master (edited 12-27-2003).]

#71726 - 08/28/03 03:36 PM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
danb Offline

Can I make my own talkbox? If so then what are the materials that I need? I guess I can use any keyboard as long as there is this saw synth sound. I don't have problem with amp, I got plenty of those. Let me know.

#71727 - 08/28/03 03:40 PM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
talkbox_master Offline

Quote:
Can I make my own talkbox? If so then what are the materials that I need? I guess I can use any keyboard as long as there is this saw synth sound. I don't have problem with amp, I got plenty of those. Let me know.

I know just the person to help you with building a talkbox... contact his e-mail at zappb4roger@aol.com he'll even give you a sample of his Golden Throat sound on Yahoo Messenger.

[This message has been edited by talkbox_master (edited 08-28-2003).]

#71728 - 08/29/03 11:07 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
danb Offline

Now I know that he used talkbox to create that sound. I am still confused on creating those harmony in live situation. It is easier for the vocoder to obtain harmony. How can you obtain harmony using single voice in live using talkbox by only one performer? Many thanks.

#71729 - 08/29/03 12:17 PM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
talkbox_master Offline

Quote:
Now I know that he used talkbox to create that sound. I am still confused on creating those harmony in live situation. It is easier for the vocoder to obtain harmony. How can you obtain harmony using single voice in live using talkbox by only one performer? Many thanks.

What you are hearing is PRE-RECORDED vocals... played along with Roger's lead vocal during a performance. So, if you want that sound live, you're going to have to pre-record your vocals doing harmonies...

#71730 - 12/27/03 04:19 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sup this is Gee, I really want to get into playin the talkbox, but I live in new zealand & don't know where to find the right equipment, could you please help me

#71731 - 12/27/03 04:25 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
talkbox_master Offline

I can help you out on that. Send your questions to zappb4roger@aol.com.

[This message has been edited by talkbox_master (edited 12-27-2003).]

#71732 - 01/01/04 12:33 PM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, Could you tell me what the differences are between the Heil Talk Box and the EH Golden Throat and why Roger Troutman preferred using the Golden Throat?

#71733 - 01/08/04 09:43 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got all the stuff I need to get started I just need the dx 100 settings can you help me please

------------------

#71734 - 02/18/04 10:11 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all, just wanted to let you all know that I got my talk box made by one of Zapp's members ( Bigg Robb )I had a chance to speak with some of the bands members twice in 2003. Those are some very down to earth brothers! Bigg Robb sells the talk boxes, and they are the same as the one's Roger made, but he calls it the (Robb Box)If anyone is interested in one contact via e-mail, and I'll give Bigg Robb a call or do a search on the webb for:BiggRobb of zapp/roger: you should be able to pull up his website. Also so search www.zapptown.com

KDFUNK

#71735 - 03/04/04 03:42 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
Anonymous
Unregistered

The talkboxes Bigg Robb make aren't very good on a visual level, I've heard some bad stories about people being disappointed when they recieved their talkbox from him. First, it's a cardboard box, wrapped in black electrical tape, the vinyl tube is attached but if you want to change the tube you have to go through a lot of that tape to get to the end and it smelled like it was in someone's attic for years... very smelly. The sound is to crisp and very high.

One guy even paid $350 for his robboxx and wanted to through it away after seeing it and hearing it. Another guy said he wasted his $220 on it and trashed it. So I don't know about purchasing his talkboxes if these people and others are complaining about it's sound and appearance.

So, my thumb is down on getting one.

#71736 - 11/07/04 02:31 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
Anonymous
Unregistered

talkbox master, are still about? i got some questions about the talkbox etc

#71737 - 11/11/04 02:42 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
Anonymous
Unregistered

kmxe... contact my email...this is talkbox_master. Just contact the email with this profile.

#71738 - 01/26/05 02:28 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dose anyone still have that "Roger" patch to get the correct sound for the Talkbox? If so, please email one to DiggyDreRecordz@aol.com that would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

#71739 - 05/30/07 10:09 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, talkbox_master, could you please share the exact parameter of Roger's? That would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

#71740 - 05/31/07 11:04 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
Justin Gazda Offline

Loc: Marietta GA, USA
If I had to guess, Roger used the famous 4-0perator yamaha patch "Sync Lead," perhaps tailored a bit with his own portamento settings and such.

DX=100's are going for "crazy stupid money" these days, so might I suggest the Tx81z.

The voice archetechture is a lot cleaner, anyway, and then you can have "lately bass," another staple sound in the history of music.

#71741 - 07/29/07 05:06 PM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone that still reads these boards know the roger troutman dx100 parameters? And does anyone know how big of an amp i need?

#71742 - 09/26/07 01:54 PM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am a big fan of Roger Troutmann and really like his sound. I have just purchased a Yamaha dx-100 and a banshee talk box. I only have 2 problems, I dont know what other equipment I need and I dont know how to use siad equipment. If anyone wants to help a desperate fan please feel free to contact me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I KNOW NOTHING about the technical aspects of this Yamaha

#71743 - 10/25/07 01:13 PM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like to know the Roger Troutman Parameters Like the sound and all that stuff

#71744 - 12/24/07 08:10 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
holler Offline

Loc: germany
Hey everybody...I got a question!!!!
I would like 2 knwo if somebody can tell me where i can get a dx 100....or something similar...reeeeaaally important... i got everything ready 2 start talkboxin but i need the dx 100!!!!
I tried it with a another synt but its not the same!!!PLEASE HELP

#71745 - 12/27/07 05:21 PM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
Anonymous
Unregistered

For those that want the Roger Troutman sound.

If you aren't lazy and can do a bit of learning, you can achieve the Roger Troutman sound by what's called FM Synthesis. Before I tell you an easy stupid secret let's just consider this....

Getting a DX100 used is a nightmare and costs alot these days. So why wouldn't Yamaha jump on the re-issue band wagon and just make something like it. Well first off, to make a small keyboard for only a few sounds is obviously ridiculous. Second, the technology patent for FM synthesis is up and anyone can make it (Casio did, and look at Moot Booxle play). And last but not least, Almost every keyboard out there has a sound close to it if not better and also has the same if not close to it, FM synthesis technology in it. So you see, there's a software plug called FM8 by Native Instruments and can replicate the DX series by Yamaha EVEN BETTER because it's digital. Do some research on FM Synthesis and you'll quickly see that it's no secret to getting more bounce to the ounce.

#71746 - 02/02/08 01:21 PM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
holler Offline

Loc: germany
can somebody please help....i got the DX 100 and i got the banshee talkbox!!!!
But it still sounds kinda weird!!!
What am i doin wrong?!?!can somebody help me with the correct sound on the dx!?!?!
what do i have 2 do 2 get the perfect sound of it!!?!?

#71747 - 05/09/08 08:23 PM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
Anonymous
Unregistered

You will not be able to get the exact harmony you hear on Roger's recordings...unless you record yourself doing the other parts. The secret to the talk box sound is mostly in your mouth- how you form the words...while you play the notes on he keyboard...adding modulation or pitch bending for effect.

Just practice ...play around with it...and above all LISTEN to the recordings..and watch the videos of people playing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online