SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#71719 - 08/28/03 06:26 AM Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
talkbox_master Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USa
If you like the synthesized sound of Roger Troutman's signature talkbox and you have a Yamaha DX100 (which Roger used in the 90's), a Golden Throat talkbox and 40watt plus amplifier, then you're in luck... post your questions about the signature sound of Roger Troutman here and get some incredible, valuable knowledge about it and the parameters used on the DX100 by Troutman for years.

#71720 - 08/28/03 08:42 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
danb Offline

Yeah, what kind of talkbox is it? I thought he's using vocoder. I hate putting something in my mouth.

#71721 - 08/28/03 09:45 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
talkbox_master Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by danb:
Yeah, what kind of talkbox is it? I thought he's using vocoder. I hate putting something in my mouth.

He used a talkbox which requires a vinyl tube to be inserted into the mouth... if you seen him in concert or footage you can see that... he used a Electro Harmonix Golden Throat in the beginning which aren't made any more. He made his own talkboxes after discovering how they where made and used more than one type of horn driver (which is what a talkbox really is).

Roger didn't use vocoders... a vocoder is a different effect... if you ever heard any of MIDNIGHT STAR'S music like NO PARKING ON THE DANCE FLOOR that's a vocoder... if you heard DANCE FLOOR, MORE BOUNCE... that's a talkbox... there is a big difference.

[This message has been edited by talkbox_master (edited 01-06-2004).]

#71722 - 08/28/03 10:32 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
danb Offline

I missed their concert here in San Diego. But according to my friend they are using 2 mini keyboards. I believe it's DX100. does it have to a DX100? Can we use any other keyboard. Which patch or sound from DX100 does Roger always used to obtain that effect? Those harmony like in the song "Computer Love" is it achievable with only one voice using that talkbox and at the same time playing chords in the keyboard?

Thanks,
Dan

#71723 - 08/28/03 10:50 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
talkbox_master Offline

Quote:
I missed their concert here in San Diego. But according to my friend they are using 2 mini keyboards. I believe it's DX100. does it have to a DX100? Can we use any other keyboard. Which patch or sound from DX100 does Roger always used to obtain that effect? Those harmony like in the song "Computer Love" is it achievable with only one voice using that talkbox and at the same time playing chords in the keyboard?

Thanks,
Dan

Yes, Roger was using the Yamaha Dx100 keyboards... the chords you are hearing on their music isn't chords being played through his talkbox... it's single vocals tracks panned to create that chords/harmonization effect... there is a vocal in each ear when it happends... listen closely to their music and you can discover it.

The patch on the Dx100 being used is a sound that you have to alter slightly and using a HEIL SOUND talkbox or any other talkbox on the market won't have that same sound or loudness needed to control that sound coming out your mouth.

If you want that sound, it's always best to use the same equipment as Roger did... those Golden Throat horn drivers can take 110 watts... but that's not the only driver Roger used throughout his career but it is the one he used in the recording studio with his Minimoog Synthesizer and Yamaha Dx100... he also used the JBC drivers (which aren't made any more also.)

[This message has been edited by talkbox_master (edited 01-05-2004).]

#71724 - 08/28/03 12:46 PM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
danb Offline

Okay, we all know that DX100 is not available anymore. And those talk back and some other gadgets you mentioned that Roger is using is either expensive or hard to find. What will be the cheapest alternative to achieved Roger Troutman style at least 75-85%? What kind of equipment you're using?

#71725 - 08/28/03 01:33 PM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
talkbox_master Offline

Okay, well... I personally use a Yamaha DX100 with a Radio Shack Optimus MPA-50 40watt Amplifier with my own custom made Golden Throat talkbox I call the Golden Throat LE... once you have the necessary items and those correct settings... you will have that sound but... you can sometimes come across the old EH Golden Throat at www.ebay.com as well as the Dx100 there too.

... for an alternative... the Yamaha DX27 or DX21 keyboards with a horn driver that's frequency response is between 100Hz-8,000kHz and a Fender Frontman 15 Series 1 Amplifier (15watts).

You can find the Dx27 and Dx21 at ebay and the Frontman 15 amp too. You basically want a keyboard where you are able to alter the orginal sound and change it into Roger's signature talkbox sound... you want a keyboard that has either the FM PULSE or FM SAWTOOTH sounds on them.

[This message has been edited by talkbox_master (edited 12-27-2003).]

#71726 - 08/28/03 03:36 PM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
danb Offline

Can I make my own talkbox? If so then what are the materials that I need? I guess I can use any keyboard as long as there is this saw synth sound. I don't have problem with amp, I got plenty of those. Let me know.

#71727 - 08/28/03 03:40 PM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
talkbox_master Offline

Quote:
Can I make my own talkbox? If so then what are the materials that I need? I guess I can use any keyboard as long as there is this saw synth sound. I don't have problem with amp, I got plenty of those. Let me know.

I know just the person to help you with building a talkbox... contact his e-mail at zappb4roger@aol.com he'll even give you a sample of his Golden Throat sound on Yahoo Messenger.

[This message has been edited by talkbox_master (edited 08-28-2003).]

#71728 - 08/29/03 11:07 AM Re: Yamaha DX 100 and Roger Troutman
danb Offline

Now I know that he used talkbox to create that sound. I am still confused on creating those harmony in live situation. It is easier for the vocoder to obtain harmony. How can you obtain harmony using single voice in live using talkbox by only one performer? Many thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online