SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#71498 - 04/26/00 12:38 PM A5000 or Emu IV ?
KIKO Offline

Loc: Paris FRANCE
Hi every body !!!

Could any one tell me what to choose beetween an Emu IV and a A5000 ?

Some retailors told me A5000 has poor converters AD/DA (64 /8 oversampling) compared with those we find in Emu IV (128x).
Do we really hear the difference ?

Also can the A 5000 correctly read ROLAND S700 format samples (I mean no tweak or fine tuning of enveloppes samples or filters) ?

Thanks to evry body and best regards to all.

#71499 - 04/27/00 04:15 AM Re: A5000 or Emu IV ?
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
Kiko! These are 2 very different machines! Both are awesome however.

Check my reply to somebody elses post further down this list. I do not own either sampler but if I had to make a quick decision, I'd go the Yamaha because of it's super flexible effects and direct CD burning capabilites.

The Emu has 'beat munging' which is great for getting fantastic loops but the Yamaha also has other great loop features.

The Emu has a mega powerful synthesis system as does the yamaha but I think the Emu wins out here!

The Yamaha looks easier to use- but both are very deep instruments and it would take heaps of time to get to know both well.

In the end, don't let others decide what is best for you. Get down to your local shop and try both out!!!! Then you will soon find out the right sampler for you. Cheers.

#71500 - 04/27/00 07:21 AM Re: A5000 or Emu IV ?
KIKO Offline

Loc: Paris FRANCE
Thanks a lot for your answer !

But you see where I live in France, I won't find a store that will have an A5000 and an Emu IV both plugged and loaded with same cd roms datas.

Also they don't let the user try... They just say : Ok ! buy, buy, buy...

So I really need help and advices. Also price is very different...

Thanks very much for all your tips and infos
and best regards to every body.

#71501 - 04/28/00 03:56 AM Re: A5000 or Emu IV ?
Korgasm Offline

Loc: Australia
Kiko-
Rest assured that any sampler you buy today- be it a Yamaha, Emu, Akai or whatever do NOT sound bad!!!!! They all sound awesome and have very deep synthesis/DSP functions, heaps of polyphony and heaps of (overpriced!) options.

After thinking about your questiion above, I've come to the conclusion that you might be better off with a Yamaha for the simple reason that it comes standard with most features that are options on the Emu.

No I'm not bagging the Emu (I'd love to own a fully expanded one very dearly!). It's just that short of getting an E4XT Ultra (with nearly all optioned fitted) you will need to expand certain features (most notably RAM, outputs and effects)) to get more practical use out of the sampler.

It all depends on how much money you have to spend. The Yamaha A series can be fitted with a board for extra outputs and digital I/O and extra Ram (of course!), the fantastic effects come as standard.

Have you checked out Akai's S5000/S6000???? Here in Australia, there has been a massive price drop on the S6000!! I saw one in a shop for $6,995 (It did cost $9,995!!!!). And this has practically all options fitted with 128 notes of polyphony to boot! Initially it's software was a bit buggy but Akai seem to have been onto the problems. I'd seriously check one of these machines out also. They are a massive step up from the older S series machines.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online