SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#71202 - 10/24/01 10:21 PM YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I read a posting tonight about the DJX in one of the synthzone topics. When I tried to post a reply I couldn't because it was already archived. Bummer, because now I am stirred up!

This is the statement that got me stirred up as posted in the topic (Re: GEM PRO2):

I am sorry my comments contains tons of "but that is my opinion" because really it depends on the user. For example, I never liked hip-hop music so when I tried Yamaha PSR DJX keyboard, I spent long long hours to find one reason to enjoy that keyboard and I could not. However, some people here evidently like it. What I am trying to say is you need to listen to the keyboard.

---------------------------------

My opinion!

This person must really not have taken the time to test out the djx-1 to it's fullest.

The DJX-1 is one of the best keyboards ever turned out in it's class. Now, I am no newbie to the keyboard world. I have been playing keyboards since the 1980's and have owned a variety of professional keyboards and synthesizers. Including Akai X-7000 Digital Sampler, Korg N5EX Professional Synthersizer, and the original Yamaha CX5M Music Computer, Casio CZ101, Moog Minimoog, and now the Yamaha DJX-1.

The Yamaha DJX-1 is "Not just a dead dog" as many would assume, though it has been pulled off the shelves for the most part, and replaced by the DJX-II and DJX 2B.

Being the webmaster and main user support person for the Official DJX Users Group website, I know beyond doubt that this keyboard is far from dead. In fact there are plenty of people world wide still trying to get their hands on the DJX-1.

The DJX-2 is a nice keyboard, but as the arguments have continued to rattle on, it's not as capable of a keyboard as the original Yamaha DJX PSR-1 Keyboard.

The destiny of the DJX-1 keyboard is to be listed in the archives of electronic keyboards as "one that broke the mold".

If the Yamaha Corporation (located in Japan) had been paying close attention to it's customer base, they would have marketed the the DJX-2 keyboard as the offical DJ'ing keyboard, and then reintroduced an updated version of the Yamaha DJX-1 with the minor features that most DJX-1 owners were wanting. Yamaha could have easily added a backlight LCD Display, the pattern generation similar to the one on the DJX-2, added a few new voices, then to top it off they could have made it a really killer keyboard by adding a cheap 3.5 inch floppy disk to store and upload samples and sequencer data from.

Had Yamaha made these minor changes, they could have easily sold it for $500 or more. The DJX-1 had the potential to become a mid-range keyboard between the CSX series of keyboards and the original DJX-1.

During the first run of our original DJX website we had almost 3,000 djx users visiting our website. This was mainly because at the time, we had some of the only djx-1 information still available on the web. Yamaha had removed all of the djx-1 information from their website and replaced it with the DJX-2 information. We have since launched our new website, "The Official DJX Users Group". I mention original visitor numbers because we receive only a tiny percentage of the DJX-1 users world wide. Imagine how many djx-1 users there actually are in the world!

P.S. "We have one of the only djx-1 softwares for download from our website that allows you to save your bulksend, sample send, and sequences to your computer for storage with out having to buy a hardware or software sequencer."

Yamaha Corporation tried to solve the problem of saving information to your computer by introducing the DJX-2, and adding by their pattern editor software. But, we have had tons of DJX-2 users who have had problems with it. This has also come at the cost of having full midi implementation. Shame on Yamaha for dumping full midi-out on the DJX-2!

That has caused so many problems! Many users who bought the DJX-2 assumed that they were getting full midi out. Instead these users discovered that they would have to buy a midi controller or already own another full midi keyboard to actually do anything useful with the pattern editor. Something that they failed to mention on the box!

The DJX-2B which is the box dj version of the djx-2, has caused a lot of stress to it's purchasers also. Any DJX-2B user reading this has certainly come across the infamous "Error 3" message. I can't tell you how many people have contacted us about that problem alone. Fortunately, our djx users group friend Jason, had created a website specifically devoted to the DJX-2B and specifically addressed the "Error 3" problem.

Back to the DJX-1.

We have received numerous reports over the past year from professional musicians that the DJX-1 has been found in many professional recording studios. That alone says a world about this keyboard! Similar to the Casio CZ101 and CZ1000 of the 1980's which was yester-years version of the Yamaha DJX-1. The DJX-1 is a keyboard of proportional value that will be talked about well into 2010.

The DJX-1 has been officially off the market now for almost a year, and to our surprise, people are still hunting them down and buying them.

About the Hip Hop comment! Well, the DJX-1 does focus and target hip hop users. But, any real musician will find it's meager $150 to $200 dollars price tag well worth spending for the DJX-1's analog controls! The DJX-1's analog controls are midi compatible by-the-way. It also has a number of non "hip hop" voices of high quality that apply towards numerous musical styles and tastes.

Yes, it's got a sequencer, sampler, a ribbon controller, digital effects, dual layered voices, pattern generator, pop-in/pop-out rhythm controllable keys, split keyboard, great voices, touch sensitive keys, pitch bend wheel, stereo built-in speakers for street performance, A/C and battery power source, cool voices and a number of other features, but at this point those features have been talked about in so many articles about the djx-1, I'm not even going to do anything other than mention they exist.

It's analog knobs are it's primary value. Your not going to find anything except maybe a Phatboy or something of a higher price that will give you those. You can tweek your voices on the DJX-1 and/or another connected midi device in a way that is only now beginning to become standard on some of the higher end professional keyboards and workstations. I have found the analog controls extremely valuable, especially when midi'ed to my Korg N5EX.

So to any would be DJX-1 basher! I say, "Hey, back off"!

---------------
If you want to know more about any of the Yamaha DJX Keyboards, or your already an owner and want to network with other users. The Official DJX Users Groups website is here: http://www.geocities.com/dj_white_rice/

[This message has been edited by dj_white_rice (edited 10-25-2001).]

#71203 - 10/26/01 05:31 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
DMC Offline

Loc: NY City
Im glad you love your little toy. I saw them on sale at BEST BUY(great musical store) this week.
I suggest running your DJX through some good studio monitors, Then you'd see the sound quality isn't very good. Not bad for a toy, but not of the quality (not even close)that MOST musicians like. Note* I was recording a small hiphop/rap group here in NY, and one of the guys had a DJX. He had never really heard the DJX through good speakers until they hit the studio. Needless to say they had to postpone the recording session until he got something with clear quality sounds they could use, he got a S30. I need a kit that I can rely on. Thanks anyway for your review. I would suggest getting out to a real music store and listening to a current model of a "professional" keyboard. You'll be surprised as to what your missing.

Have fun,
DudeManCentral

[This message has been edited by DMC (edited 10-26-2001).]

#71204 - 10/26/01 11:17 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your reply DMC.

>> Im glad you love your little toy. I saw
>> them on sale at BEST BUY(great musical
>> store) this week.

Your correct, for the most part the DJX-1 was marketed to the general consumer market. But your obviously overlooking it's overall value. People said the same thing about the Casio CZ series when it came out in the mid 1980's, yet it became a favorite digital synthesizer in many professional studios also.

>> I suggest running your DJX through some
>> good studio monitors, Then you'd see the
>> sound quality isn't very good. Not bad
>> for a toy, but not of the quality (not
>> even close)that MOST musicians like.

I have heard the DJX through professional production monitors. (And I am not a newbie to the music field by the way) I never suggested that a professional musician would want to take it into the studio. (though many have) I simply stated the fact that we have had reports from many professional musicians who own and use the DJX series of keyboards in the studio, or who have found them in professional studios. I'm not implying that it is their only instrument in the studio. No professional keyboardist that I know of uses only one keyboard, but instead uses a variety of keyboards, effects, modules, and other gear in their set-up. You are correct in the fact that you would probably not want to use the djx as your solo instrument in a studio. But, it makes a dam good part of a set-up, studio or otherwise.

>> Note* I was recording a small hiphop/rap
>> group here in NY, and one of the guys had
>> a DJX. He had never really heard the DJX
>> through good speakers until they hit the
>> studio. Needless to say they had to
>> postpone the recording session until he
>> got something with clear quality sounds
>> they could use, he got a S30.

Obviously, I can not verify your little rap crew or if you actually have even ever stepped into a studio in your life. I can't say that I care either way. If you have or not, every studio is different, and the gear of the studio and the experience of the technicians operating the recording equipment makes all the difference in the world. For all I know, you went to a economy studio with lousy technicians.

>> I need a
>> kit that I can rely on. Thanks anyway for
>> your review.

You welcome! No apologies are offered.

>> I would suggest getting out
>> to a real music store and listening to a
>> current model of a "professional"
>> keyboard. You'll be surprised as to what
>> your missing.

Thanks for your opinion. All opinions are welcome!

As to if I know my way around "professional" music stores or professional gear, your sure making a lot of big assumptions about me. Stop into California sometime and I'll show you around.

I'm not ashamed to admitt that the DJX-1 is part of my keyboard set-up. It's a great instrument, especially it's analog controls.
I'm not suggesting that the DJX is the greatest keyboard in the world. You'll never find me anywhere on the net saying that. If you want to find other articles by me about the DJX-1 or Korg N5EX on the web. Simply go to Yahoo.com and google.com search engines and type in my name: dj_white_rice
and you'll find me.

lastly, my friend. I am a Korg player! The Korg N5EX I mentioned is a professional synth, and not out dated! Check your local New York "Professional" keyboard store and if it's even a half-way decent store you'll find it sitting right next to the Triton and Trinity Workstations, which I might add make up a number of the voices on the N5EX.

Just because you had a bad run in with the DJX-1 doesn't mean it's not worth adding to a set-up or using in the studio. If it's actually in the studio, (which I know it is) then someone besides myself must think that this toy was worth having around.

You could give me a Roland, a Korg, Kurzwell, Nord, or other keyboard to add to my set-up, and that would be cool! But my DJX-1's going to be at the top where I have easy access to it's controll features.

Again! For $150 to $200 bucks you can't beat the cost.

The final word....... DMC there are three DJX keyboards. Which one are you talking about. Finding a DJX-1 in a retail store or professional store is very difficult to find. The DJX-1 is what this article is written about. It has been replaced by the DJX-II and DJX-IIB. If your refering to the DJX-II or IIB then I will agree with you that they are merely toys in my opinion. Lacking full midi implementation. The DJX-II has red, black, and grey keys, no general midi, no midi out, a ribbon controller set-up mainly for creating scratches, a red light lcd number display, and a little switch for effects.

The DJX-1 on the other hand, has a blue and black case, full midi implementation, digital effects, medium large lcd display, ribbon controller, analog assignable knobs, foot switch, and ribbon controller. Built in realtime and step sequencer, and a 6 second sampler.
------------------------
dj_white_rice
Official DJX Users Group http://www.geocities.com/dj_white_rice/

[This message has been edited by dj_white_rice (edited 10-26-2001).]

#71205 - 10/27/01 03:57 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
grahawk Offline

Hi dj - I have to say I agree with the comments that got you worked up. They said you should try a keyboard before buying and if you like it buy it. Hanging around at various forums some people clearly dislike the original DJX and some like it and that's all about personel preference.

Some people will think the sounds are rubbish, the effects are poor and the preset patterns are smelly cheese. But others will find lots of sounds they like, features which are good and even find something in the preset patterns. It's just down to taste and that's fair enough. And even I think the sampler and song recorder (I refuse to call it a sequencer) are complete tat. But for the price it's unbeatable as long as you like it.

#71206 - 10/27/01 10:56 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I can see where DJ is coming from. I used to own the original DJX and if I still had it you wouldn't be able to pay me enough money to trade it for the DJXII. The original is way better! Granted it's not a top of the line keyboard, but in regards to features and price you can't go wrong with it. Some of the sounds aren't quite there, but I think the biggest problem with the original was that a lot of people expected the keyboard to play ALL types of music. So many people did not know that the DJX was designed specifically for rap, hip hop, techno, trance, ambient, club, dance, and drum&bass. I've seen the DJX advertised by Yamaha as "a keyboard not intended for everyone" I recall in the past, several postings about this keyboard with users complaining about not being able to do ballads, jazz, orchestral, and several other styles. People have to keep in mind that this keyboard was not designed for those styles. As far as the quality of the styles I think Yamaha was dead on with most if not all of them. NO other PSR model including the new 9000 Pro and PSR-2000 are capable of producing the style quality of the DJX. Granted the 9000 Pro and PSR-2000 are great keyboards, they are designed for all types of music whereas the DJX is just for a few specific types. Yamaha concentrated on just those styles and by doing so produced a keyboard with some serious features and great styles for the price range. Yeah its sequencer is really more of a scetch pad, but a computer or an external sequencer would make a world of difference. I think they should have re-introduced the original DJX and added a floppy disk drive, the sequencer of the PSR-540/550/640/740, style sequencer, and a back lit screen. Granted this would have pushed the board price up a bit to $500.00 and up, but people would have paid that price because it would be well worth it. Yamaha was heading in the right direction when they released the original DJX, but really flopped on it when they released the DJXII. They cut out a lot of the good features "mainly" touch response! Of all the things to drop, why drop that???? Plus they dropped the LCD display and the pitch bend wheel. The DJX has the potential to be a really good keyboard "if" Yamaha puts the effort into it...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#71207 - 10/27/01 11:39 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Greetings Grahawk.

Too true. The "sequencer" has much to be desired, but for a keyboard that cost as much as a decent software sequencer, you have to agree that it is incredible that it has anything to record with for the price.

I think the so called "Sequencer" was really intended for the sake of being able to make your own background layers. For instance you can record your own small mix into it and then use it's voice loops layed over it to trip it out. Of course you could also sample a loop if it were a small one and then play it as a loop on the keyboard at any key. But it is certainly not a pattern generator or a phrase sampler like you find on the Korg or Roland rhythm boxes.

I think my approach to the djx-1 is to be objective for what it has, the cost you could pick one up for, it's originally intended purpose, and how well it could fit into a set-up.

Someone could certainly spend $1900.00 to $2500.00 on a keyboard workstation that could easily blow the djx-1 away. But how many people want to spend that kind of money unless they are going to be using it as a solo instrument on tour or in the studio.

Heck, if you can afford to record all your work at a studio and your producing serious projects, or if you have an agent getting you high paying gigs, then spend the money and buy a Korg Karma.

Grahawk,

About the voices. Yes, they could certainly be improved on a bit. But, I think the looped voices are a unique addition. The only thing I could think of other than maybe updating the voices and what I already stated as good upgrades for it, is maybe if they expanded the keyboard to 88 keys, added a modulation wheel, and allowed for multiple keyboard splits. It does have three split points technically, but one of the splits is for controlling the patterns. I'd like to be able to split the voices down by individual keys, that would be nice.

But, you take what you get.

Let me say too, the voice generation of some of the higher end Yamaha PSR's and Yamaha's professional keyboards are certainly of a higher digital quality than the DJX series of keyboards. But, what amazes me is that so many professional keyboardist own one anyway and use it as part of their set-up.

And personally, I hate any keyboard that calls a drum loop or pattern "Ballad,waltz, or anything similar. If you buy a keyboard with something like that, you might as well buy a metronome or one of those Sears Organs and just use that. Save yourself some money.

About checking out a keyboard and buying what you like. I absolutely agree with that. If your looking for a professional keyboard than you'll want to buy a professional keyboard and spend the required cash. I never recommend buying a keyboard or any gear with out putting it to the test.

I test out my gear for at least six months on a weekly basis at a local music store before I ever buy it.

I tested out the djx-1 for eight months whenever I had the time, simply to find out everything I could about it. I downloaded and printed out a copy of it's users manual from Yamaha to review it's features. Before I ever seriously considered it. Since I am into experimental music and alternative music, the djx-1 looked like a wise choice for me.
------------------
Official DJX Users Group http://page.freett.com/newfriends/

[This message has been edited by dj_white_rice (edited 12-16-2001).]

#71208 - 10/27/01 11:42 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Squeak_D!

Yep, almost everyone I know who actually owned a djx-1 and put it to a real challenge and for some reason got rid of it, or whatever; have all said they regret not having it anymore.

------------------

#71209 - 10/27/01 12:43 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
squeak_D Offline

DJ,
Actually I got rid of mine not because I didn't like it, but I had way too many keyboards at the time and my wife was ready to have a garage sale.. Rather than sell the DJX I gave it to my younger brother who was interested in the music the DJX was designed for. I would honestly love to get my hands on a brand new one if possible. I think it's an awsome keyboard and using it with a computer or external sequencer would really put out some great tracks..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#71210 - 10/28/01 12:01 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Squeak_D!

The old wife story huh? I've know a number of chaps that have had that happen, so don't feel to bad.

That's cool that you gave it to your brother though, maybe someday he'll give it back.

He must be a younger brother, am I right?

Thanks for the feed back!

------------------

#71211 - 10/28/01 05:20 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
squeak_D Offline

Yeah he's my younger brother.... He just started college in August. Actually I'll be seeing the keyboard on the 20th of next month because I'll be up there picking up a minivan. I'm sure I'll be playing it while Im there... My wife didn't have a poblem with my love for music.. She just had a problem with the number of keyboards I had in our apartment... She was pissed because I had too many at one time. I had the PSR-540, DJX, Roland XP-60, and the Yamaha EX-7 all at the same time.... It was pretty crowded....

Squeak

#71212 - 10/29/01 04:31 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
DMC Offline

Loc: NY City
Yeah well I guess I see your point, It is only $150 and I can see where it might be useful for a DJ (you are a DJ, right ) or a little brother....

Good luck,
DudeManCentral

PS. I work in a studio(since 1983) and NO we dont have Casios and DJXs here. Just because you know someone who used it in a studio doesn't make it a studio keyboard. I don't know of a single studio (in NY) who has one in its permenant setup. Most studios assume that the performers can afford the cheaper instuments so they load up on the stuff some can't afford.

#71213 - 10/29/01 08:54 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi DMC!

I'd personally never take one into the studio if I could take something better!

Most djx users won't be going into the studio.

------------------

#71214 - 10/29/01 05:41 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Ph@yze Offline

Loc: London,England
Well I spose ill have my say,
The DJX IS an excelent keyboard for what it is.
Its true to say without a doubt its the best you can get for the money.
I dont use the internal sounds because yes there a bit weak mind u root them through a good effects processer and there fine.
I do however use its midi functions and mighty fine they are, to get the same from a pro synth would cost a small fortune.
Ive used it for my main controller since I got it when it came out. It gets the thumbs up for me,
Im a semi-pro musician and im not ashamed to use it in my set up,
And ive earned a bit of money from it as well

Yamaha SW1000XG
Yamaha SW60XG
"Yamaha DJX"
Yamaha FB01
Yamaha DX7
Yamaha DRC20
Quasimidi Raven
Roland MC303
Roland MC505
Akai S2000
Korg X5
Korg M1
Casio MG10
Alesis SR16
Alesis Midiverb
Yamaha RM800
Dell P4 1200 512 Ram 80 Gig HD
Sound Blaster Audigy Card
Yamaha CD Writer
1200's
Soundlab CD Mixer
Apex Mixer
SoundCraft STS 1500 15"subs

Ph@yze London age 30

#71215 - 11/06/01 11:58 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rice is dead on the money about the djx! it was his users forum that brought me here and I must agree with him wholeheartedly; I LOVE MY DJX!! She is my first keyboard but she is packed with alot of stripped down features found in many high end boards (the poor mans triton). To the untrained ear or should I say the consumer, they don't know what instrument is generating the sounds as long as the beat is hot so they don't know that I used a djx (and I got mine from Best Buy but we first met at a pro music shop). My older brother skoffed at the idea of a djx until I got one and went wild with it (he has a roland and a korg). Once I ran my djx through my console and recorded it on my multitrack I was able to beef up the sounds with eq and compression that I wanted to sound fatter. I love my djx. Granted it's not a pro level synth but for someone who has nothing you can't beat the value. I will never get rid of my djx.

#71216 - 11/07/01 04:15 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, thought I'd drop my two cents on the DJX. I just got mine a while ago and I had a specific purpose in mind for it, and for that purpose it has not let me down. First, consider how much just a simple full feature midi controller costs...around $150-$200, right? Now about how much does a CC controller box cost, you know..the box with knobs on it, such as the Phat Boy...anywhere from $75 to $200. If that were the only reason to buy this keyboard wouldn't it be enough? I got mine for $150, a bit less than a Roland PC-200 or midiman keystation and it does so much more than those by having the knobs on it. I was looking for a midi controller to control my modules, soft synths, and samplers and didn't care at all about having sounds........That being said I enjoy a few of the DJX's sounds, I don't like the general midi sounds that it uses, but there are a few good sounds to use and the other "just" midi controllers can't say that. The drum sounds are actually kind of impressive, and the arpeggiator can be kind of fun. I've only briefly tried the sampler, but it seemed alright...name me a synth from the early 80's that had as long of a sample time as this, no it's not an Akai S1000, but I could almost argue that it's better than an S612, but like I said, I haven't gotten into the sampler too much...certainly better than an Sk-5 (although not nearly as cute ). I'd recommend this to anybody really, it has some great features and a few good sounds, pair it up with some DX series stuff and something analog and you'll have a nice little set-up, or even if you only bought this and just bought synth modules I'd still think it was a decent set-up. Pay no attention to what people say if you buy this, nobody's equipment is ever as good (or right) as theirs..as long as you actually make music and not just talk about it or buy things you can't use you'll be one step ahead of any Mr. Three-Tritons-and-he-can't-even-use-them out there. Good Luck.

#71217 - 11/07/01 07:32 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
What you use is not important , it's how you use it . Things like sound quality DON'T matter . Most people who sample use effects to mangle or change the sound . Analogue synthesizers are old and there sound is not anything like a sample or sample quality . Yet they are an industry standard and always will be . Take the TB-303 for instance , I remember when they came out , I was 12 then . They were a joke and they did not sell well at all and by 1986 the music stores could not give them away . Yet in the 90s they became an ACID sound standard and everyone had to have one . People paid $1000.00 for those things because they were not smart enough to realize that you could get that same sound on any ROLAND SH model and the earlier JUNO models . I've heard people that sound like shit with a KORG KARMA and I've heard people that sound great with a YAMAHA CS-01 . Anyone that tells you that what you use is important , obviously knows nothing . It's how you use what you got . If you have a DJX , then use it and do the best you can . I sample rhythms from my old CASIO analog keyboards and then totally mangle them in RECYCLE and METASYNTH and ring modulators and people want to buy these rhythms when I'm done with them . Just use what you have and enjoy it !

#71218 - 11/08/01 09:52 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
optinone Offline

Loc: St. Cloud, MN USA
ive never used or touched a DJX, but....
my friend had the original, and he said it was awesome, he traded it in for turntables cuase it's cooler to be a DJ than a musician/artist??????

#71219 - 11/09/01 08:47 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi 800DV

About Sound Quality.

You have a point to one degree. I have seen people who can take a cheap $50 or less keyboard and play it in a way that would blow away most people.

But sound quality is important in my opinion. Very important overall. But what makes the significant difference is the current expectation of modern society.

I remember when a Hammond Organ was the highest quality keyboard and it only did piano sounds. I hated the imitation electric piano sounds. Then when I was 14 years old, a 35 year old musician bass player introduced me to the analog keyboards that had to be patched together with wires and cables. They were HUGH! One synth could fill up a large walkin closet. You had to re-wire the stinking thing just to create a new sound, then you had to write down or memorize the wire set-up you used to get that original sound. Around that same time I was introduced to the Korg Poly 61 and several others. I thought they were the most amazing synths I ever heard, with no wires, and no patching, even preset buttons.

Later, I got hold of a Moog Roug. I thought it sucked!

Years later I heard a Korg M1 and thought it was the greatest keyboard.

The point is! As technology grows so does the quality and purity of the sound, and with it comes new abilities and ways to decimate them.

The Yamaha DJX as you suggest, is simply a tool. A persons skills and abilities will obvious be an influence in the overall quality of music that someone could produce.

However, the awesome thing about the djx is that anyone can punch a few buttons, pound a few keys, and tweek some knobs, and produce some really cool music regardless of ability.

The future evolution of music will be the continual improvement of instrument voice quality, the ability to decimate the sounds, and the ability to be used by anyone regardless of ability.

The DJX meets those needs for now, with some great original voices. But, eventually it will become outdated. That is why Yamaha needs to continually recreate the DJX series of keyboards. The one thing that is going to last about the current DJX keyboards are it's assignable controlls.

------------------

#71220 - 11/09/01 02:47 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
800dv Offline

There is no such thing as OUTDATED or obsolete . That only comes from the manufacturers and the sheep that believe what they say . A modular MOOG is still a modular MOOG and nothing made today can take that away from it . Modular synthesizers are still made today because they are still some of the most powerful synthesizers ever made . I also like software synthesizers like REASON and REBIRTH . There is no obsolete , there is no such thing as that .

#71221 - 11/09/01 04:26 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Obsolete? O.K. Perhaps not. Out Dated! Perhaps So!

I suppose that all keyboards virtual, hardware, or whatever happens along next all have the potential for long lives and being used for future styles.

But, lets face it! Some of them simply need to be retired! They did their time, they had their season, and somewhere along the line of history someone is going to make something that does the exact same thing easier and better.

Thus, the DJX......heh heh heh heh......

------------------

#71222 - 11/10/01 10:20 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
800dv Offline

The only synthesizers that are being ignored in some way are the older digital samplers and synthesizers . I can understand why , lets face it , in samplers the original EMULATOR only had 128k of memory . The cheapest of todays samplers have 20 times that . The EMULATOR II only had 512k of memory . Most people get there samplers of today loaded up to 32megs of memory . The DX-7 only stored 32 programs and had a dirty sound because of cheap D/A converters . Digital technology keeps getting cheaper and have more features . You never know though , the whole vintage thing could some day include the vintage digital stuff too . Things like the ALPHA SYNTAURI , PPG , RMI KC-II , SYNERGY , SYNCLAVIER , 360 SYSTEMS DIGITAL REPLAY KEYBOARD , and other weird stuff like that .

#71223 - 11/15/01 01:41 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I only recently started using the DJX and after working with it for a while I've already recorded some stuff with it. Mixing acoustic guitar and vocals with some moderately compressed and tweeked DJX 1 drum and synth sounds has really impressed some people. Music is good only relative to the listener, or the culture derived by the music. I'm shure with the appropraite funding I could make DJX sounds paramount to gum chewing Britteny Spears songs and sell a ton of albums. Really it dosen't come down to how hi-fi your sounds are look at all of the vac tube amps and eq sets... that equipment is designed to add noise. It all comes down to the musician, if a musician with the right connections and talent were to use the DJX 1 to make his/her music than you might just hear it on the radio tomarrow.
Keyboards and equipment are just tools, they don't make you a better musician, for the money the DJX 1 packs alot of power. For us in the 21st century the DJX could be the tool for the next power pop sensation like Madonna... she didn't start out with a Trition work station, or in a studio that could afford one. I look at it this way, anyone capable of mastering good quality demos in their home studio would find many benifits in owning the DJX- PSR-D1.

#71224 - 11/17/01 01:31 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
splatastic Offline

Another two cents..

Being what feels like the only DJXII-B owner around, I think I have to stick up for 'the box':

Like Rice and the others said, you have to look at the cost versus what you get, and also how you, the individual, use it. For $199US, you get quite an amazing box, I think. On the DJXII-B, you get 180 voices and about 20 different drum kits, plus some great effects all in a neat little box! Show me another sound module for that price that does all that. Plus, even though it's a little tricky, you can make your own patterns and play them back on the DJXII-B, while playing a MIDI keyboard thru it (I've done it). Pretty neat, I think. And the scratch CD is alot of fun. Using the effects I've gotten some pretty cool tones out of it. Plus, it's great to throw some scratches into a song with when playing covers in a band (especially since alot of bands these days seem to be sticking DJ's in the background).
I will admit, I wasn't that impressed with the DJXII keyboard. But, don't bash it's forgotten brother until you give it a try. I think if you got an orginal DJX and connected it to a DJXII-B, it wouldn't be half bad.
Is it a toy? Maybe, but aren't they all just 'toys'? What defines 'professional keyboard'? Do I need to spend over $1000? $1500? When you get a chance, look up a guy named 'Wesley Willis'. This dude has recorded hundreds of songs, goes on tours, and has several albums out. And he did it all with what sounds like a Casio keyboard! Granted, it's not always the greatest, but most of his songs kick ass and are really funny (Check out "Suck a Caribou's Ass")! Music is in the ears of the beholder. If some kid playing a plastic bucket can make it into a Madonna video...

Anyway, next time your looking for an inexpensive sound module, check out the DJXII-B.

Later,
DJ Billabong

#71225 - 12/14/01 03:02 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Guys..guys..guys....

You can't expect an all-features-in-the-world-in-one-tiny-pack synth unit for this kinda price.

If you want a mother of a synth that can tweak a piano to sound like a sax or a master-blaster that can control half of the zillion units in your concert, then expect to empty your coffers!

Do some homework...look around...compare what you can get for about 200$ - 250$ and then come to a conclusion...

It's the amateur and not-so-pro. market that this thing is aimed at. That's probably why the pricing is so agressive and you can't expect a 1000 voices or an 88key master controller or a workstation w/. HDD for this sort of pricing. If you're looking for those, then search at a higher price level and market.

I found it's a great piece for a start (for people who'd like a cheap -read 'economical' groovebox). If you want a good learner's keyboard for this price range, there's the PSR GX76. And if you wanna gig with Paul McCartney, there are the Korgs and the Rolands and the AKAIs and other $1000+ units out there.

But seriously, remember this is a beginners buy and if Yamaha wanted to add more features into -that you people cry about the DJX not having - then they would be selling this as some PSR -500series or 600series with a 600$ tag. Maybe their line up actually is.

Anybody thinking of a PSR-740 or a 9000pro right now?

I'm open to feedback...you are most welcome. But I really didn't get a better keyboard/groovebox that had better options and features at this range of pricing.

#71226 - 12/15/01 05:48 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the market is drooping a little, but there would certainly be a number of current djx users and others who would dish out $600 for a higher line PSR version of the DJX. But for $600 they'd certainly have to do more than add a floppy disk.

Yeah, I have a high end Korg and have had an Akai and so forth, and the djx sound quality is not as good, but were talking street gigging and Dj'ing, and more likely small gig or party Dj'ing. The DJX is perfect! Again, heck charge a little more, give us what we want, and everyone is a happy camper....

------------------

#71227 - 12/16/01 01:31 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
squeak_D Offline

DJ,
I totally agree with you... Actually 2 weeks ago I emailed a letter to Yamaha with a suggestion. I think they really hit the nail on the head when they released the original DJX. When that thing came out there was NO other keyboard in that price range that offered what the DJX did... Yamaha really was on to something with this keyboard. I suggested to Yamaha that they come out with a Pro version of the DJX like they did when they released the 9000 Pro. Imagine a DJX with these features:

-16 track (internal sequencer)
-good quality expandable sampler (like on the 9000 pro)
-large back lit screen
-good professional look (possibly drop the speakers)
-add a floppy disk drive
-add a synth engine (again similiar to the 9000 pro)
-do what they do with all their upper keyboards and use the same set of keys as on the upperline models they have (synth action)
-better DSP's
-good pattern sequencer

These are just a few of the addtitions that I feel would complete this machine. Now I understand if they add all these features it will push the price up over $1,000, but if they make it right people will buy it. People always talk about how expensive a board is, but we all know that when we want something we find a way to get it. I honestly think a DJX Pro would sell and would sell big time. If yamaha made it right and marketed it properly, I think it will be a big hit...

Squeak

#71228 - 12/16/01 09:24 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, Squeak!

You know, your right! If they came out with a pro version of the djx and put some real hardware and stuff into it. You know a real hip hop, dj'ing, urban style professional keyboard. I'd certainly consider shelling out a $1000 or so for it. I mean I love my Korg and spent plenty on it, but the djx was the first keyboard Yamaha ever produced that I felt had any merit. I have never cared much for Yamaha gear personally and generally stay away from it, even it's professional line. I am not alone in that either, for Digital Drums Roland is the way to go, for Keyboards it's got to be a Nord or a Korg, for guitars electric or acoustic it's not gonna be a Yamaha. BUT! The djx-1, not the djx-2, but the djx-1, changed my opinion and view of Yamaha, at least for the last year or so. I hope they will listen to their american, U.K. and non-japanese markets
for once, because if they do, they might actually sell something to someone who lives outside of Japan and make some money.

Thanks, for your input!

------------------

#71229 - 12/16/01 09:42 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by optinone:
ive never used or touched a DJX, but....
my friend had the original, and he said it was awesome, he traded it in for turntables cuase it's cooler to be a DJ than a musician/artist??????

=====================================

Hey Optitone, that's probably true! There's a lot more fame in front of a crowd throwing together a cool mix, over being in a band playing a djx, or mixing with the djx without turntables. But both of them together would be nice too, if used with a flavorable technique and original style.

Thanks,

------------------
------------------

#71230 - 12/16/01 10:16 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
squeak_D Offline

DJ,
I'm with you 100% on this one... If Yamaha actually came out with a pro version of the DJX, I would do everything within my power to buy one.... I too own the original DJX and as far as I'm concerned it is an amazing keyboard especially for the low price.... Yamaha can only better themselves by making a pro version of this keyboard.

Squeak

#71231 - 12/21/01 04:47 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Umm....,

I think what broke the mould was the very unusual package - good sounds, "fresh" sounds, modern beats, some synthing, and other such very tempting features - all for a price that attracted the average 'home' misician to give this one a shot, to flush their dough on this one - and they liked what hit them.

And perhaps that's what's made this one such a classic.

If they had priced it at par with the others in the category, do you guys seriously think this piece would have such a fan following?

Now if they had put in all these drooling features like a 16-tracker and 96K sampler (which Yam is more than capable of), that would obviously put in this machine a higher price slot. How many would have still thought of giving this one a try?

Don't you guys think that adding all the pro features might just make the DJX another synth on the shelf? (Hell, I'd definitely want one of those pieces, though)

Unless, they price it as aggressively as the original DJX, Yamaha might just end up adding another one to their catalog.
If they had priced it with the PSR9000Pro, would you still buy it? (In other words, would it sell as hot?)

Wot say, mates?

#71232 - 12/21/01 09:17 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
squeak_D Offline

I think it would sell..... I agree that one of the main reasons the board did so well when it was first released was because of all the features in had along with a low price tag. I look at it like this. Yamaha, like most makers has its top line and bottom line keyboards. What's nice is how Yamaha makes the so to say more affordable version of their upperline models. If someone likes all the features of the PSR-2000 but doesn't need all of them they have the option of the PSR-1000 which is much cheaper and still has many of the good features from it's big brother. It was like that with the PSR 740 and 640. Now after the PSR-2000 the prices on the upperline start to go WAY up. It could be this way with the DJX. They could make the lower end DJX for those who just want an affordable keyboard for dance music, and they could market a pro version for those who want to use it in the studio and on stage and in clubs. I see it like this..... Granted the upper model arranger keyboards are good, I don't think ANY of them come close to the style capabilities of the DJX.... What I mean is that the styles and the sounds on all the other arrangers aren't geared towards dance, techno, and drums&bass, but they were on the DJX.. The DJX was designed specifically for dance, techno and so forth.. Yamaha really put some effort into making a low cost keyboard that had current styles, and in my opinion they did quite well. There are a lot of people who say negative things about the DJX, but have never even tried it out. How many people out there know that several of the styles that are on the PSR-740 were taken from the DJX??? They sound better on the DJX because the DJX has a completely different voice set though. Even my PSR-550 has a few styles that were taken from the DJX. I think if Yamaha made a pro version of this keyboard and upgraded its features it would sell. Also look how disappointed people were when the new DJXII was released.. Yamaha kinda took a step back with that one. They may have added a few features, but they dropped some of the important ones. So many of us thought the PSR-9000 wouldn't sell because of the huge price tag, but look at it now. People love this keyboard. So what did Yamaha do... They released a lighter professional version of the thing and it too is a big seller. Yamaha can only benefit from making a pro DJX.....

Squeak

#71233 - 12/25/01 03:24 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, Arun_George.... I was kind'a sad when I saw you describe the DJX-1 as a classic. I guess it really is becoming a "Classic" these days.

Hi Squeek D!

Well, about the whole pricing thing and the idea of a pro djx. You know, when the original DJX-1 came out, it was not a $1000 synth, but it did list at $500.00. That's no small potatos! I think at $500.00 it was priced about right for the features and the limitations of the features.

The DJX-II and DJX-IIB I think listed lower than that when they came out. Whatever the case, the DJX-1 really kicked off when it dropped down to about $250.00.

Also, there was something different about it that I personally think appealed to a wider range of people than the new DJX's. I know that a wider spectrum of people bought the DJX-1 because it was really created with independant features. In other words, someone who just wanted to sample their own stuff could focus on that, someone who wanted to mix some beats could do that, someone who wanted to play classical style could do that, someone who wanted to do more hightech stuff would record thier own patterns (not loops though) and so forth. I think that is why it did so well.

The DJX-2 and DJX-2b don't seem to have done as well, from what I can tell. It seems very limited in the audience that could use it. Accessing the keyboard as only a keyboard is initially a bit tricky, the patterns and splits would be really frustrating to someone who wanted to write their own tunes.
It seemed specifically targeted at the young Groovers. Again, I think it's great for just making some easy grooves. But, It's probably going to be on the market longer than the DJX-1 so they can make the required profits off of it.

About a new pro djx.
Hmmmm, I honestly have this picture and image in my head of what it might look like and do. I'd really like to see something original for any pro version they might do. More of a full blown workstation for Trance, Groove, House, Club, Rave, Tech, Triphop, etc. Something really different from what is currently on the market. Korg came out with the Karma last year that was supposed to be for that, and it does have some nice originaly features, but it's basically got the brain that my Korg N5EX has.

I don't know, I'm just thinking about a keyboard that could do multiple looping, import wave, mp3, midi, acid pro patterns, etc. It would have a sampler, a apregiattor, a bunch of really good effects, the ribbon bar, multi-directional modulation and pitchbend wheels, some really nice noices, including a few regular ones, a nice
real sequencer that could import files from Cakewalk and Cubase, perhaps a vocal vocoder, etc. I'd just like it to be the ultimate and most creative alternative keyboard on the market. I think Yamaha has that ability and the DJX-1 and 2, proves they have enough imagination to do something like that.

You know.... a pro djx that could basically be taken into a club environment and used by itself. It could also go easily into the studio.

Hmmm, I am thinking about a DJX that would be designed for and to some degree by, the users. Maybe some of the high profile musicians could tell them what they wanted too.

Anyways, It's probably not likely that Yamaha will create a DJX-3. You know a pro djx-3 would really go over well in their home country of Japan. I used to live there, and a DJX Pro version would be a big time.

I once had the old Casio cz-101. Probably the DJX-1 will eventually fall into the hall of classics like the CZ-101. Funny thing, is I saw, read, or heard something about the CZ-101 and saw a picture of it this week, and I was really wishing I still had one, or could get my hands on one. When the CZ-101 came out, it was similar to the DJX-1's price and features. It was the first affordable digital keyboard that could be programmer. Man I miss it!

Now that I have a good job, maybe I will hunt one down, to atleast listen to it.

Later!
Happy 2002 to you!

------------------
------------------
The Official DJX User Group - ""FORUMS & MESSAGBE BOARD"" http://forums.asp-dev.co.uk/DJXYamaha/default.asp

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online