SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#71202 - 10/24/01 10:21 PM YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I read a posting tonight about the DJX in one of the synthzone topics. When I tried to post a reply I couldn't because it was already archived. Bummer, because now I am stirred up!

This is the statement that got me stirred up as posted in the topic (Re: GEM PRO2):

I am sorry my comments contains tons of "but that is my opinion" because really it depends on the user. For example, I never liked hip-hop music so when I tried Yamaha PSR DJX keyboard, I spent long long hours to find one reason to enjoy that keyboard and I could not. However, some people here evidently like it. What I am trying to say is you need to listen to the keyboard.

---------------------------------

My opinion!

This person must really not have taken the time to test out the djx-1 to it's fullest.

The DJX-1 is one of the best keyboards ever turned out in it's class. Now, I am no newbie to the keyboard world. I have been playing keyboards since the 1980's and have owned a variety of professional keyboards and synthesizers. Including Akai X-7000 Digital Sampler, Korg N5EX Professional Synthersizer, and the original Yamaha CX5M Music Computer, Casio CZ101, Moog Minimoog, and now the Yamaha DJX-1.

The Yamaha DJX-1 is "Not just a dead dog" as many would assume, though it has been pulled off the shelves for the most part, and replaced by the DJX-II and DJX 2B.

Being the webmaster and main user support person for the Official DJX Users Group website, I know beyond doubt that this keyboard is far from dead. In fact there are plenty of people world wide still trying to get their hands on the DJX-1.

The DJX-2 is a nice keyboard, but as the arguments have continued to rattle on, it's not as capable of a keyboard as the original Yamaha DJX PSR-1 Keyboard.

The destiny of the DJX-1 keyboard is to be listed in the archives of electronic keyboards as "one that broke the mold".

If the Yamaha Corporation (located in Japan) had been paying close attention to it's customer base, they would have marketed the the DJX-2 keyboard as the offical DJ'ing keyboard, and then reintroduced an updated version of the Yamaha DJX-1 with the minor features that most DJX-1 owners were wanting. Yamaha could have easily added a backlight LCD Display, the pattern generation similar to the one on the DJX-2, added a few new voices, then to top it off they could have made it a really killer keyboard by adding a cheap 3.5 inch floppy disk to store and upload samples and sequencer data from.

Had Yamaha made these minor changes, they could have easily sold it for $500 or more. The DJX-1 had the potential to become a mid-range keyboard between the CSX series of keyboards and the original DJX-1.

During the first run of our original DJX website we had almost 3,000 djx users visiting our website. This was mainly because at the time, we had some of the only djx-1 information still available on the web. Yamaha had removed all of the djx-1 information from their website and replaced it with the DJX-2 information. We have since launched our new website, "The Official DJX Users Group". I mention original visitor numbers because we receive only a tiny percentage of the DJX-1 users world wide. Imagine how many djx-1 users there actually are in the world!

P.S. "We have one of the only djx-1 softwares for download from our website that allows you to save your bulksend, sample send, and sequences to your computer for storage with out having to buy a hardware or software sequencer."

Yamaha Corporation tried to solve the problem of saving information to your computer by introducing the DJX-2, and adding by their pattern editor software. But, we have had tons of DJX-2 users who have had problems with it. This has also come at the cost of having full midi implementation. Shame on Yamaha for dumping full midi-out on the DJX-2!

That has caused so many problems! Many users who bought the DJX-2 assumed that they were getting full midi out. Instead these users discovered that they would have to buy a midi controller or already own another full midi keyboard to actually do anything useful with the pattern editor. Something that they failed to mention on the box!

The DJX-2B which is the box dj version of the djx-2, has caused a lot of stress to it's purchasers also. Any DJX-2B user reading this has certainly come across the infamous "Error 3" message. I can't tell you how many people have contacted us about that problem alone. Fortunately, our djx users group friend Jason, had created a website specifically devoted to the DJX-2B and specifically addressed the "Error 3" problem.

Back to the DJX-1.

We have received numerous reports over the past year from professional musicians that the DJX-1 has been found in many professional recording studios. That alone says a world about this keyboard! Similar to the Casio CZ101 and CZ1000 of the 1980's which was yester-years version of the Yamaha DJX-1. The DJX-1 is a keyboard of proportional value that will be talked about well into 2010.

The DJX-1 has been officially off the market now for almost a year, and to our surprise, people are still hunting them down and buying them.

About the Hip Hop comment! Well, the DJX-1 does focus and target hip hop users. But, any real musician will find it's meager $150 to $200 dollars price tag well worth spending for the DJX-1's analog controls! The DJX-1's analog controls are midi compatible by-the-way. It also has a number of non "hip hop" voices of high quality that apply towards numerous musical styles and tastes.

Yes, it's got a sequencer, sampler, a ribbon controller, digital effects, dual layered voices, pattern generator, pop-in/pop-out rhythm controllable keys, split keyboard, great voices, touch sensitive keys, pitch bend wheel, stereo built-in speakers for street performance, A/C and battery power source, cool voices and a number of other features, but at this point those features have been talked about in so many articles about the djx-1, I'm not even going to do anything other than mention they exist.

It's analog knobs are it's primary value. Your not going to find anything except maybe a Phatboy or something of a higher price that will give you those. You can tweek your voices on the DJX-1 and/or another connected midi device in a way that is only now beginning to become standard on some of the higher end professional keyboards and workstations. I have found the analog controls extremely valuable, especially when midi'ed to my Korg N5EX.

So to any would be DJX-1 basher! I say, "Hey, back off"!

---------------
If you want to know more about any of the Yamaha DJX Keyboards, or your already an owner and want to network with other users. The Official DJX Users Groups website is here: http://www.geocities.com/dj_white_rice/

[This message has been edited by dj_white_rice (edited 10-25-2001).]

#71203 - 10/26/01 05:31 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
DMC Offline

Loc: NY City
Im glad you love your little toy. I saw them on sale at BEST BUY(great musical store) this week.
I suggest running your DJX through some good studio monitors, Then you'd see the sound quality isn't very good. Not bad for a toy, but not of the quality (not even close)that MOST musicians like. Note* I was recording a small hiphop/rap group here in NY, and one of the guys had a DJX. He had never really heard the DJX through good speakers until they hit the studio. Needless to say they had to postpone the recording session until he got something with clear quality sounds they could use, he got a S30. I need a kit that I can rely on. Thanks anyway for your review. I would suggest getting out to a real music store and listening to a current model of a "professional" keyboard. You'll be surprised as to what your missing.

Have fun,
DudeManCentral

[This message has been edited by DMC (edited 10-26-2001).]

#71204 - 10/26/01 11:17 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your reply DMC.

>> Im glad you love your little toy. I saw
>> them on sale at BEST BUY(great musical
>> store) this week.

Your correct, for the most part the DJX-1 was marketed to the general consumer market. But your obviously overlooking it's overall value. People said the same thing about the Casio CZ series when it came out in the mid 1980's, yet it became a favorite digital synthesizer in many professional studios also.

>> I suggest running your DJX through some
>> good studio monitors, Then you'd see the
>> sound quality isn't very good. Not bad
>> for a toy, but not of the quality (not
>> even close)that MOST musicians like.

I have heard the DJX through professional production monitors. (And I am not a newbie to the music field by the way) I never suggested that a professional musician would want to take it into the studio. (though many have) I simply stated the fact that we have had reports from many professional musicians who own and use the DJX series of keyboards in the studio, or who have found them in professional studios. I'm not implying that it is their only instrument in the studio. No professional keyboardist that I know of uses only one keyboard, but instead uses a variety of keyboards, effects, modules, and other gear in their set-up. You are correct in the fact that you would probably not want to use the djx as your solo instrument in a studio. But, it makes a dam good part of a set-up, studio or otherwise.

>> Note* I was recording a small hiphop/rap
>> group here in NY, and one of the guys had
>> a DJX. He had never really heard the DJX
>> through good speakers until they hit the
>> studio. Needless to say they had to
>> postpone the recording session until he
>> got something with clear quality sounds
>> they could use, he got a S30.

Obviously, I can not verify your little rap crew or if you actually have even ever stepped into a studio in your life. I can't say that I care either way. If you have or not, every studio is different, and the gear of the studio and the experience of the technicians operating the recording equipment makes all the difference in the world. For all I know, you went to a economy studio with lousy technicians.

>> I need a
>> kit that I can rely on. Thanks anyway for
>> your review.

You welcome! No apologies are offered.

>> I would suggest getting out
>> to a real music store and listening to a
>> current model of a "professional"
>> keyboard. You'll be surprised as to what
>> your missing.

Thanks for your opinion. All opinions are welcome!

As to if I know my way around "professional" music stores or professional gear, your sure making a lot of big assumptions about me. Stop into California sometime and I'll show you around.

I'm not ashamed to admitt that the DJX-1 is part of my keyboard set-up. It's a great instrument, especially it's analog controls.
I'm not suggesting that the DJX is the greatest keyboard in the world. You'll never find me anywhere on the net saying that. If you want to find other articles by me about the DJX-1 or Korg N5EX on the web. Simply go to Yahoo.com and google.com search engines and type in my name: dj_white_rice
and you'll find me.

lastly, my friend. I am a Korg player! The Korg N5EX I mentioned is a professional synth, and not out dated! Check your local New York "Professional" keyboard store and if it's even a half-way decent store you'll find it sitting right next to the Triton and Trinity Workstations, which I might add make up a number of the voices on the N5EX.

Just because you had a bad run in with the DJX-1 doesn't mean it's not worth adding to a set-up or using in the studio. If it's actually in the studio, (which I know it is) then someone besides myself must think that this toy was worth having around.

You could give me a Roland, a Korg, Kurzwell, Nord, or other keyboard to add to my set-up, and that would be cool! But my DJX-1's going to be at the top where I have easy access to it's controll features.

Again! For $150 to $200 bucks you can't beat the cost.

The final word....... DMC there are three DJX keyboards. Which one are you talking about. Finding a DJX-1 in a retail store or professional store is very difficult to find. The DJX-1 is what this article is written about. It has been replaced by the DJX-II and DJX-IIB. If your refering to the DJX-II or IIB then I will agree with you that they are merely toys in my opinion. Lacking full midi implementation. The DJX-II has red, black, and grey keys, no general midi, no midi out, a ribbon controller set-up mainly for creating scratches, a red light lcd number display, and a little switch for effects.

The DJX-1 on the other hand, has a blue and black case, full midi implementation, digital effects, medium large lcd display, ribbon controller, analog assignable knobs, foot switch, and ribbon controller. Built in realtime and step sequencer, and a 6 second sampler.
------------------------
dj_white_rice
Official DJX Users Group http://www.geocities.com/dj_white_rice/

[This message has been edited by dj_white_rice (edited 10-26-2001).]

#71205 - 10/27/01 03:57 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
grahawk Offline

Hi dj - I have to say I agree with the comments that got you worked up. They said you should try a keyboard before buying and if you like it buy it. Hanging around at various forums some people clearly dislike the original DJX and some like it and that's all about personel preference.

Some people will think the sounds are rubbish, the effects are poor and the preset patterns are smelly cheese. But others will find lots of sounds they like, features which are good and even find something in the preset patterns. It's just down to taste and that's fair enough. And even I think the sampler and song recorder (I refuse to call it a sequencer) are complete tat. But for the price it's unbeatable as long as you like it.

#71206 - 10/27/01 10:56 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I can see where DJ is coming from. I used to own the original DJX and if I still had it you wouldn't be able to pay me enough money to trade it for the DJXII. The original is way better! Granted it's not a top of the line keyboard, but in regards to features and price you can't go wrong with it. Some of the sounds aren't quite there, but I think the biggest problem with the original was that a lot of people expected the keyboard to play ALL types of music. So many people did not know that the DJX was designed specifically for rap, hip hop, techno, trance, ambient, club, dance, and drum&bass. I've seen the DJX advertised by Yamaha as "a keyboard not intended for everyone" I recall in the past, several postings about this keyboard with users complaining about not being able to do ballads, jazz, orchestral, and several other styles. People have to keep in mind that this keyboard was not designed for those styles. As far as the quality of the styles I think Yamaha was dead on with most if not all of them. NO other PSR model including the new 9000 Pro and PSR-2000 are capable of producing the style quality of the DJX. Granted the 9000 Pro and PSR-2000 are great keyboards, they are designed for all types of music whereas the DJX is just for a few specific types. Yamaha concentrated on just those styles and by doing so produced a keyboard with some serious features and great styles for the price range. Yeah its sequencer is really more of a scetch pad, but a computer or an external sequencer would make a world of difference. I think they should have re-introduced the original DJX and added a floppy disk drive, the sequencer of the PSR-540/550/640/740, style sequencer, and a back lit screen. Granted this would have pushed the board price up a bit to $500.00 and up, but people would have paid that price because it would be well worth it. Yamaha was heading in the right direction when they released the original DJX, but really flopped on it when they released the DJXII. They cut out a lot of the good features "mainly" touch response! Of all the things to drop, why drop that???? Plus they dropped the LCD display and the pitch bend wheel. The DJX has the potential to be a really good keyboard "if" Yamaha puts the effort into it...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#71207 - 10/27/01 11:39 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Greetings Grahawk.

Too true. The "sequencer" has much to be desired, but for a keyboard that cost as much as a decent software sequencer, you have to agree that it is incredible that it has anything to record with for the price.

I think the so called "Sequencer" was really intended for the sake of being able to make your own background layers. For instance you can record your own small mix into it and then use it's voice loops layed over it to trip it out. Of course you could also sample a loop if it were a small one and then play it as a loop on the keyboard at any key. But it is certainly not a pattern generator or a phrase sampler like you find on the Korg or Roland rhythm boxes.

I think my approach to the djx-1 is to be objective for what it has, the cost you could pick one up for, it's originally intended purpose, and how well it could fit into a set-up.

Someone could certainly spend $1900.00 to $2500.00 on a keyboard workstation that could easily blow the djx-1 away. But how many people want to spend that kind of money unless they are going to be using it as a solo instrument on tour or in the studio.

Heck, if you can afford to record all your work at a studio and your producing serious projects, or if you have an agent getting you high paying gigs, then spend the money and buy a Korg Karma.

Grahawk,

About the voices. Yes, they could certainly be improved on a bit. But, I think the looped voices are a unique addition. The only thing I could think of other than maybe updating the voices and what I already stated as good upgrades for it, is maybe if they expanded the keyboard to 88 keys, added a modulation wheel, and allowed for multiple keyboard splits. It does have three split points technically, but one of the splits is for controlling the patterns. I'd like to be able to split the voices down by individual keys, that would be nice.

But, you take what you get.

Let me say too, the voice generation of some of the higher end Yamaha PSR's and Yamaha's professional keyboards are certainly of a higher digital quality than the DJX series of keyboards. But, what amazes me is that so many professional keyboardist own one anyway and use it as part of their set-up.

And personally, I hate any keyboard that calls a drum loop or pattern "Ballad,waltz, or anything similar. If you buy a keyboard with something like that, you might as well buy a metronome or one of those Sears Organs and just use that. Save yourself some money.

About checking out a keyboard and buying what you like. I absolutely agree with that. If your looking for a professional keyboard than you'll want to buy a professional keyboard and spend the required cash. I never recommend buying a keyboard or any gear with out putting it to the test.

I test out my gear for at least six months on a weekly basis at a local music store before I ever buy it.

I tested out the djx-1 for eight months whenever I had the time, simply to find out everything I could about it. I downloaded and printed out a copy of it's users manual from Yamaha to review it's features. Before I ever seriously considered it. Since I am into experimental music and alternative music, the djx-1 looked like a wise choice for me.
------------------
Official DJX Users Group http://page.freett.com/newfriends/

[This message has been edited by dj_white_rice (edited 12-16-2001).]

#71208 - 10/27/01 11:42 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Squeak_D!

Yep, almost everyone I know who actually owned a djx-1 and put it to a real challenge and for some reason got rid of it, or whatever; have all said they regret not having it anymore.

------------------

#71209 - 10/27/01 12:43 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
squeak_D Offline

DJ,
Actually I got rid of mine not because I didn't like it, but I had way too many keyboards at the time and my wife was ready to have a garage sale.. Rather than sell the DJX I gave it to my younger brother who was interested in the music the DJX was designed for. I would honestly love to get my hands on a brand new one if possible. I think it's an awsome keyboard and using it with a computer or external sequencer would really put out some great tracks..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#71210 - 10/28/01 12:01 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Squeak_D!

The old wife story huh? I've know a number of chaps that have had that happen, so don't feel to bad.

That's cool that you gave it to your brother though, maybe someday he'll give it back.

He must be a younger brother, am I right?

Thanks for the feed back!

------------------

#71211 - 10/28/01 05:20 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
squeak_D Offline

Yeah he's my younger brother.... He just started college in August. Actually I'll be seeing the keyboard on the 20th of next month because I'll be up there picking up a minivan. I'm sure I'll be playing it while Im there... My wife didn't have a poblem with my love for music.. She just had a problem with the number of keyboards I had in our apartment... She was pissed because I had too many at one time. I had the PSR-540, DJX, Roland XP-60, and the Yamaha EX-7 all at the same time.... It was pretty crowded....

Squeak

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online