SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#71212 - 10/29/01 04:31 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
DMC Offline

Loc: NY City
Yeah well I guess I see your point, It is only $150 and I can see where it might be useful for a DJ (you are a DJ, right ) or a little brother....

Good luck,
DudeManCentral

PS. I work in a studio(since 1983) and NO we dont have Casios and DJXs here. Just because you know someone who used it in a studio doesn't make it a studio keyboard. I don't know of a single studio (in NY) who has one in its permenant setup. Most studios assume that the performers can afford the cheaper instuments so they load up on the stuff some can't afford.

#71213 - 10/29/01 08:54 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi DMC!

I'd personally never take one into the studio if I could take something better!

Most djx users won't be going into the studio.

------------------
Official DJX Users Group http://page.freett.com/newfriends/

[This message has been edited by dj_white_rice (edited 12-16-2001).]

#71214 - 10/29/01 05:41 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Ph@yze Offline

Loc: London,England
Well I spose ill have my say,
The DJX IS an excelent keyboard for what it is.
Its true to say without a doubt its the best you can get for the money.
I dont use the internal sounds because yes there a bit weak mind u root them through a good effects processer and there fine.
I do however use its midi functions and mighty fine they are, to get the same from a pro synth would cost a small fortune.
Ive used it for my main controller since I got it when it came out. It gets the thumbs up for me,
Im a semi-pro musician and im not ashamed to use it in my set up,
And ive earned a bit of money from it as well

Yamaha SW1000XG
Yamaha SW60XG
"Yamaha DJX"
Yamaha FB01
Yamaha DX7
Yamaha DRC20
Quasimidi Raven
Roland MC303
Roland MC505
Akai S2000
Korg X5
Korg M1
Casio MG10
Alesis SR16
Alesis Midiverb
Yamaha RM800
Dell P4 1200 512 Ram 80 Gig HD
Sound Blaster Audigy Card
Yamaha CD Writer
1200's
Soundlab CD Mixer
Apex Mixer
SoundCraft STS 1500 15"subs

Ph@yze London age 30

#71215 - 11/06/01 11:58 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rice is dead on the money about the djx! it was his users forum that brought me here and I must agree with him wholeheartedly; I LOVE MY DJX!! She is my first keyboard but she is packed with alot of stripped down features found in many high end boards (the poor mans triton). To the untrained ear or should I say the consumer, they don't know what instrument is generating the sounds as long as the beat is hot so they don't know that I used a djx (and I got mine from Best Buy but we first met at a pro music shop). My older brother skoffed at the idea of a djx until I got one and went wild with it (he has a roland and a korg). Once I ran my djx through my console and recorded it on my multitrack I was able to beef up the sounds with eq and compression that I wanted to sound fatter. I love my djx. Granted it's not a pro level synth but for someone who has nothing you can't beat the value. I will never get rid of my djx.

#71216 - 11/07/01 04:15 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, thought I'd drop my two cents on the DJX. I just got mine a while ago and I had a specific purpose in mind for it, and for that purpose it has not let me down. First, consider how much just a simple full feature midi controller costs...around $150-$200, right? Now about how much does a CC controller box cost, you know..the box with knobs on it, such as the Phat Boy...anywhere from $75 to $200. If that were the only reason to buy this keyboard wouldn't it be enough? I got mine for $150, a bit less than a Roland PC-200 or midiman keystation and it does so much more than those by having the knobs on it. I was looking for a midi controller to control my modules, soft synths, and samplers and didn't care at all about having sounds........That being said I enjoy a few of the DJX's sounds, I don't like the general midi sounds that it uses, but there are a few good sounds to use and the other "just" midi controllers can't say that. The drum sounds are actually kind of impressive, and the arpeggiator can be kind of fun. I've only briefly tried the sampler, but it seemed alright...name me a synth from the early 80's that had as long of a sample time as this, no it's not an Akai S1000, but I could almost argue that it's better than an S612, but like I said, I haven't gotten into the sampler too much...certainly better than an Sk-5 (although not nearly as cute ). I'd recommend this to anybody really, it has some great features and a few good sounds, pair it up with some DX series stuff and something analog and you'll have a nice little set-up, or even if you only bought this and just bought synth modules I'd still think it was a decent set-up. Pay no attention to what people say if you buy this, nobody's equipment is ever as good (or right) as theirs..as long as you actually make music and not just talk about it or buy things you can't use you'll be one step ahead of any Mr. Three-Tritons-and-he-can't-even-use-them out there. Good Luck.

#71217 - 11/07/01 07:32 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
What you use is not important , it's how you use it . Things like sound quality DON'T matter . Most people who sample use effects to mangle or change the sound . Analogue synthesizers are old and there sound is not anything like a sample or sample quality . Yet they are an industry standard and always will be . Take the TB-303 for instance , I remember when they came out , I was 12 then . They were a joke and they did not sell well at all and by 1986 the music stores could not give them away . Yet in the 90s they became an ACID sound standard and everyone had to have one . People paid $1000.00 for those things because they were not smart enough to realize that you could get that same sound on any ROLAND SH model and the earlier JUNO models . I've heard people that sound like shit with a KORG KARMA and I've heard people that sound great with a YAMAHA CS-01 . Anyone that tells you that what you use is important , obviously knows nothing . It's how you use what you got . If you have a DJX , then use it and do the best you can . I sample rhythms from my old CASIO analog keyboards and then totally mangle them in RECYCLE and METASYNTH and ring modulators and people want to buy these rhythms when I'm done with them . Just use what you have and enjoy it !

#71218 - 11/08/01 09:52 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
optinone Offline

Loc: St. Cloud, MN USA
ive never used or touched a DJX, but....
my friend had the original, and he said it was awesome, he traded it in for turntables cuase it's cooler to be a DJ than a musician/artist??????

#71219 - 11/09/01 08:47 AM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi 800DV

About Sound Quality.

You have a point to one degree. I have seen people who can take a cheap $50 or less keyboard and play it in a way that would blow away most people.

But sound quality is important in my opinion. Very important overall. But what makes the significant difference is the current expectation of modern society.

I remember when a Hammond Organ was the highest quality keyboard and it only did piano sounds. I hated the imitation electric piano sounds. Then when I was 14 years old, a 35 year old musician bass player introduced me to the analog keyboards that had to be patched together with wires and cables. They were HUGH! One synth could fill up a large walkin closet. You had to re-wire the stinking thing just to create a new sound, then you had to write down or memorize the wire set-up you used to get that original sound. Around that same time I was introduced to the Korg Poly 61 and several others. I thought they were the most amazing synths I ever heard, with no wires, and no patching, even preset buttons.

Later, I got hold of a Moog Roug. I thought it sucked!

Years later I heard a Korg M1 and thought it was the greatest keyboard.

The point is! As technology grows so does the quality and purity of the sound, and with it comes new abilities and ways to decimate them.

The Yamaha DJX as you suggest, is simply a tool. A persons skills and abilities will obvious be an influence in the overall quality of music that someone could produce.

However, the awesome thing about the djx is that anyone can punch a few buttons, pound a few keys, and tweek some knobs, and produce some really cool music regardless of ability.

The future evolution of music will be the continual improvement of instrument voice quality, the ability to decimate the sounds, and the ability to be used by anyone regardless of ability.

The DJX meets those needs for now, with some great original voices. But, eventually it will become outdated. That is why Yamaha needs to continually recreate the DJX series of keyboards. The one thing that is going to last about the current DJX keyboards are it's assignable controlls.

------------------

#71220 - 11/09/01 02:47 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
There is no such thing as OUTDATED or obsolete . That only comes from the manufacturers and the sheep that believe what they say . A modular MOOG is still a modular MOOG and nothing made today can take that away from it . Modular synthesizers are still made today because they are still some of the most powerful synthesizers ever made . I also like software synthesizers like REASON and REBIRTH . There is no obsolete , there is no such thing as that .

#71221 - 11/09/01 04:26 PM Re: YAMAHA DJX -1, "Not just a dead dog!"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Obsolete? O.K. Perhaps not. Out Dated! Perhaps So!

I suppose that all keyboards virtual, hardware, or whatever happens along next all have the potential for long lives and being used for future styles.

But, lets face it! Some of them simply need to be retired! They did their time, they had their season, and somewhere along the line of history someone is going to make something that does the exact same thing easier and better.

Thus, the DJX......heh heh heh heh......

------------------

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online