SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#70147 - 04/03/10 09:48 AM WHO IS NEIL BLAK?
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
Hi guys,

There are a lot of listings on eBay by a seller Neil Blak. Since he is from the U.K., probably many of you know who he is. Most of his listings sound like things that Bill Norrie has on his website FREE. The seller states on each listing: "THIS ITEM IS ONLY AVAILABLE FROM US. You cannot get it anywhere else in the world. If you see this item advertised ANYWHERE else please let us know! Anyone copying these styles and selling them WILL BE PROSECUTED (as successfully done last year)"

Mark

#70148 - 04/03/10 10:43 AM Re: WHO IS NEIL BLAK?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Mark
I think you may mean Neal Blake, who runs the Style Disk Warehouse http://www.stylediskwarehouse.com/ and also bought up Tec note (Strawberry Music)

Hope this helps

Bill

#70149 - 04/03/10 10:59 AM Re: WHO IS NEIL BLAK?
kitkat Offline

Thanks, Bill. On eBay, he goes by "neilblak" as a seller's username. It probably is the same person. However, all the styles he is selling from the KN2000 - KN6500 and KN2600 sound very much like what is available on Bill Norrie's site and others free.

Mark

#70150 - 04/03/10 04:14 PM Re: WHO IS NEIL BLAK?
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Mark,

I don't think the styles he is offering are the same as those Bill is offering, as he used to produce floppies for the Technics keyboards, based on the original styles but 'tweaked' by him to go with suggested songs etc. I believe he now does much the same thing for other makes of Keyboards, using the USB stick or whatever they use.

I have several of his Technics floppies, most of which are very good, but some are not quite to my taste, but then as the saying goes "you can't please all of the people all of the time"

Hope this helps.

Audrey

#70151 - 04/03/10 06:28 PM Re: WHO IS NEIL BLAK?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I assume you are referring to the built-in styles from the past KN series (KN2000,3000,5000, 6000/6500 etc.) together with 82 new ‘World’ styles and 45 styles from the KN2600, which are included within the ‘Total KN7000 64.sdb’ file on my website.
These styles were freely available on the Technics website, before it closed down some time ago and were all 'harmonised' for use on the KN7000 by our good friend Alec Pagida.
At the time, I obtained permission from Panasonic to add them to my website, to make them freely available to KN7000 owners, after the demise of their website.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#70152 - 04/03/10 07:40 PM Re: WHO IS NEIL BLAK?
kitkat Offline

Thanks, Audrey for your input. Bill, I am glad you responded. The seller has many listings but the ones I have mentioned sound very much like the ones you have on your site that Alec did and are free. If they are the same, he is asking a pretty price for them.

Mark

#70153 - 04/04/10 01:26 AM Re: WHO IS NEIL BLAK?
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Mark - you are off the mark (sorry for the pun). Neil produces all his own style files which are song specific - I have them all - Bill also produces different song specific styles - I have them all - there is NO crossover between the two.
Neil does it for a living; Bill does it for fun and in order to back singers that he works with.
Both are real genuine guys and I have the greatest respect for them both..another place to go is www.carillonstudios.me.uk for yet more fabulous style files...
Roger M www.keyboardplayerextraordinaire.com

#70154 - 04/04/10 04:14 PM Re: WHO IS NEIL BLAK?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Further to my last posting, having examined the advertised content of Neil Blake's 1GB SD Card and compared it with the ‘Total KN7000 64.sdb’ file on my webite. It would appear they are identical.........

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#70155 - 04/05/10 10:08 AM Re: WHO IS NEIL BLAK?
kitkat Offline

Thanks, Bill. Very interesting, wouldn't you say, Roger?

Mark

#70156 - 04/05/10 12:40 PM Re: WHO IS NEIL BLAK?
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I suppose when you buy something with the intention of making sales and profit from it you're not necessarily aware that someone else is giving it away free.
I wonder what is an acceptable mark up for both your time; the original investment; and the ingredients you use in the process.
In the UK you don't buy petrol cheaper anywhere else than the Supermarket filling stations; one of the most expensive places to buy commodities is Harrods...such are the economies of scale of the western world.
Ever tried any of Neil's style files that he has produced himself, Mark?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online