SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#67637 - 11/05/08 06:11 PM Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
kn7 Offline

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Wake me when it’s over. Huh! Did someone say something? Gee, I am sooooooooooooo glad that everyone has learned everything possible to know on the KN7000. You all have graduated and are all anxious to move on to new technology – new buttons to push. My, My! The truth of the matter is that there is enough technology in the KN7000 to keep you busy for the next 10 years. Anything and EVERYTHING you could want is in the KN7000. But no, you are anxious to push new buttons in a Yammy or whatever – buttons that someone else has created. Few of you have even ventured into learning how to create your own styles. COMPOSER is intimidating other than maybe bringing up a style in the keyboard and tweaking a drum track or whatever – never creating anything original. I know of a couple on the forum that has NEVER used the sequencer, other than loading someone’s song that has been sent to them. Ninety percent of you can’t find Range Edit or know how to use it. Then there is Chord Modify – Gee, what does that do? Good luck. Oh, let’s not forget, Drum User Kit. Huh?! One pompous member said, “I don’t need to use Drum User Kit because ALL the drum sounds are in the other Drum Kits.” Have you given any thought to actually exploring the Drum User Kit? It not only gives you the option of raising the volume of drum sounds but PLACEMENT and SOUND REVERBERATION on each drum sound. Huh! What do you mean by that? If the majority of you had just one-third the knowledge of Alec (my nemesis – by the way, Alec is short for Smart-Alec – Tee hee) you wouldn’t be so quick to move on to new buttons to push. Personally, I will upgrade from the KN7000 when I can buy a keyboard that I can push a button that states, “Destination Moon.” Oooooops, that is the name of a song, if the uninformed don’t know.

Ta, ta,

kn7

#67638 - 11/06/08 04:34 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
There - feeling better now....chuckle...
I post all my new composer rhythms on www.createsongstyles.com cos it's very straightforward to upload with the message. Maybe that facility here would generate some more action.
Rog

#67639 - 11/06/08 06:43 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
casarosa Offline

Loc: Costa Calida Spain
I have experimented with a few things other than pushing buttons and made a right mess of things but does it really matter we all learn something new everyday and the KN will not self destruct instantly if you make a mistake tweaking the sounds etc nothing is ever easy it just takes time, patience and determination maybe we need someone with greater knowledge who would be willing to point us in the right direction with easy tutorials etc, am sure they would be most welcome and appreciated

#67640 - 11/06/08 07:39 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
kn7 Offline

For starters, you need to experience doing a few technical things and ask questions. Chord Modify on Page 212 explains how to CHORD-innate your fingers to be able to play “Bumble Boogie” backwards. Page 52aa tells you how to Range Edit. That changes the harmonies for songs like “Home On The Range.” Drum User Kit is for all the “Users” of other people’s ideas. Learning some of these things is the reason why you shouldn’t be looking for new buttons to push on a Yammie or whatever. Be lucky you have the fine instrument you have and master it. Look no further.

kn7

#67641 - 11/06/08 11:07 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
casarosa Offline

Thank you for the information I will certainly take note must agree we do have a fine Instrument in my area of Spain they sell mostly Yamaha keyboards at a price Technics KN what´s that said the Spaniard Ugh!!

#67642 - 11/07/08 10:13 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
With regard to creating new styles on the KN7000, I've been doing this for quite some time now - thanks to the great editing facilities provided for us in the Composer.
I found that although most of the built-in styles are very good, they are mostly designed to be 'General' rather than 'Specific' for a particular song or tune. That comment in no way, is intended to criticise the 'authors' of the built-in styles.
When I construct a sequence - particularly some of the more modern Songs/Tunes, I try to get as close to the 'feel' of the original arrangement, as the KN7000 will allow. I find that one of the most important components of the arrangement, is the Bass Line and it is often not possible to achieve the desired progression, when the notes played in the Bass Part, are just left the Auto Accompaniment 'Intelligence'.

There are two ways to overcome this problem :
1. In a Sequence, write the Bass line as a completely separate track within the sequence and turn off the Bass part in the Auto Accompaniment.
2. Use a facility within the Composer, to force the Composer style to play the desired Bass notes, which you would enter into the Bass Part.
Although the overall Sequence will sound the same, no matter which option is chosen, I prefer to use option 2, since this option allows the Style to be used, with the 'correct' Bass line, without having to use the Sequencer, particularly if someone else wishes to use my Composer Style and play 'live'.

Most of the Songs/Tunes which I have recently sequenced, have used Composer Styles, which I created from scratch, by either listening to the original recordings and determining what is going on in the 'backing' to the melody, or, having in mind, the kind of 'backing' which I feel is suited to the melody. You can listen to them on the WMA page of my website http://www.willumspages.co.uk/page9.html - songs from around Number 90 upward, mostly use my original styles.
Typical examples of a dedicated Bass Line can be found among the Beatles songs : numbers 137, 'All My loving', 142 'Eight Days a Week', 151 'Michelle', 156 'Something', 150 'A little Help from My Friends' and a particularly good example is, number 154 'Penny Lane'.
It should be noted that most of the Variations in these Styles, use either 8 measures or all 16 measures available, since using the usual 2 or 4 measure Variations, would have been too repetitive and would not allow the full scope of a dedicated Bass line.

The option which allows you to FIX the Bass line notes - irrespective of which Chords you play in your Left hand - and indeed the notes in any of the other component parts of the Composer style, can be found in the Composer Editor. This can be useful if you wish the Bass Line to play a series of so called 'Pedal Notes' during all or part of a Variation. For example, You may wish the Bass Line to play a series of just 'C1' notes while your Left Hand chords play a riff such as, Cmajor, Dm7, Em7, Dm7, Cmajor............... Assuming that the Bass part just contains a series of 'C1' notes on the 1st and 3rd beats of each measure, if left to the normal Auto Accompaniment process, the Bass Line would probably play C, D, E, D, C.......... which may not be what you want! Try getting a realistic Bass line for 'Tuxedo Junction' on any of the Built-in Big Band styles!!

You will find this 'Magic' option here : Program Menus > Composer > Record Memory (A, B or C whichever you wish to work on) > select a Variation > OK then 'Chord Modify Change'. Move the Red cursor over the BASS part (if it's not already there) and in the Second column, change the entry to 'SPECIAL'. In the Third column, change the entry to 'THROUGH'. The 'Function' column will then show 'CHANGE'. Press 'OK' to confirm. Carrying out this procedure, will force the Auto Accompaniment to play exactly, all the Bass notes which you enter into the BASS track of the Composer, when building the Style, using either Step Time, or Real Time recording. Note that this will affect EVERY single note in the Bass part.

If it is desired to only have certain notes, or groups of notes 'Fixed' and the remainder of the Bass part determined by the Auto Accompaniment, then this can also be achieved as follows : Do not change the option in the 'Chord Modify Change' for the entire Bass part, as described above. When you enter the notes in the Bass part of the Composer Editor, you will see at the bottom of the Step Recording Page, a small rectangular window which contains the data for every Note in the Bass part: i.e. NOTE (Pitch), VEL(Velocity), LEN(Length) and under CHORD MODIFY, (GROUP and TYPE). For each Note in the Bass Part, the GROUP and TYPE parameters can be altered to one of 23 different responses, to the Chords which are played in the Left hand. The option which allows individual notes within the Bass part, to be played 'as written', irrespective of the chord played in the left hand, can be selected by setting the GROUP to 'SPECIAL' and the TYPE to 'THROUGH', for the specific notes. Notes which are not set to 'SPECIAL'/'THROUGH' will follow the Chords in the Left hand, as determined by an alternative Chord Modify setting

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#67643 - 11/07/08 04:53 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello KN7

I agree with most of what you say about the KN7000. I still have both mine plus the PR900 piano but, for how long - who knows?
I appreciate you and many others like to delve into the heart of the technology, but most people like myself just like to play.
I do 'tweak' the built-in styles sometimes, but I find I just do not have the time or patience to do much else.

I recently had a 'live' two hours, one-to-one demonstration on the Tyros 3 given by Richard Bower one of Yamaha's leading musicians and I have to say I was greatly impressed. He didn't waste time playing the best preset styles as so many demonstrators do, but spent a great deal of time clearly answering all of my questions (I took a list with me ha! ha!) taking me through each action step by step.

When he was going through the styles and sounds, it sounded to me like some of the Technics 'know-how' has been used on the T3
making it very 'User Friendly'. I particularly liked the Grand Piano. I liked the fact that MP3 CDs could be made direct using the 80gb Hard Drive (although I did wonder whether it would be large enough for some). I liked several other features particularly the two pads for Pitch Bend and Modulation, the super articulation (which really does do what it claims to do) and the fact that with the OTS on if you press the three lower notes in the lefthand, you can knock out the accompaniment and just have a drum/or any other instrumental solo. I wasn't too happy about not being able to 'contrast' the screen but I was assured that now TFT is being used, this wouldn't be neccesary - thinking of one of my venues which is held in a large conservatory and you're in the sun most of the time, that remains to be seen. I also said I thought the Keyboard was overpriced but no comment was made....

I am finding it increasingly more difficult to transport all my gear, and the T3 is much lighter in weight which is the main reason I am interested in it.

My overall impression is that Yamaha have caught up with the Technics KN7 if not in the technology, certainly in the 'User Friendly' approach to playing the Tyros 3.

So, please remember, there are a number of reasons why people make changes in their lives.

Happy playing....

Audrey

#67644 - 11/08/08 10:55 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
kn7 Offline

Bill, you gave a very nice response. I and others, I am sure appreciate the time you spent stating how you use some of the fine features in COMPOSER. The KN7000 gives you so many ways of using the keyboard to create fine work. I do not use the CHORD MODIFY the way you use it for a bass line. The way I compose a bass line works in ANY SONG that is meant to be played in the style that I have composed. I use CHORD MODIFY for what it was primarily meant to be used for – chords. However, I also use it as an example of playing a piano riff in a style that I have created. As you and some know, playing certain notes in a style doesn’t necessarily play back the way you composed them. More often than not, they don’t play back correctly because of the harmony changes. When this happens, I go into Step Record and change NOT ALL but some of the notes in the piano riff or whatever instrument that has a melodic passage to play back correctly when hitting various harmonies, using CHORD MODIFY. I find that this takes a bit of experimenting to do this. Composing chords – I find that generally but not always, BASIC C, E, G works best for chords. The placement of the chord in your style is very important. I find that if you play E, G and C position is best. You can vary the position by changing it to G, C and E. Going to a higher position will make your chord sound weak and not right. This is especially true when using 7th chords. One Chord Modify that I also like and is a bit more interesting is changing CHORD MODIFY to Chord Tension. (C, E, G, A) Your chord position should be E, G, A, C. It is surprising how well complex harmonies work with using this. If doing a guitar strum, however, I prefer CHORD MODIFY be BASIC C, E, G and in the position aforementioned.

I’ll be so bold as to state that I have plenty of criticism for the “authors” of built in styles. By their using a bass line that is all over the map shows that the style really is intended to sell the instrument. The one and only way you can even come close to a built in style to sound OK in a song is to make damn sure you use simple harmony and don’t make very many changes. To prove my point, play a song with a built in style with all the tracks muted but the bass line. In your right hand, play a song with a lot of harmonies using Tech-chord and try to separate your playing and listen to the wrong notes the bass is playing with the harmony that you have played. Speaking of this, it would be great if Nigel had a way of allowing us to present examples on the forum. I am speaking of uploading something created that can be heard correctly by everyone to know exactly what the person is conveying. Sending files through email is time consuming and everyone can not hear exactly what is being presented. Perhaps this is the wrong forum for this. I have never visited another forum on arranging. Bill, people like you and Larry Gosmeyer that have beautiful websites may have an answer for this. I don’t know the technicalities involved in what a site needs for uploading songs.

The above is barely touching on the possibilities that can be achieved with this fine instrument.

In closing, I want to clear up a couple of things. Firstly, I apologize for being over the top on what (I’m starting to laugh) CHORD MODIFY, RANGE EDIT and DRUM USER KIT is for. I was in an irritated mood because many of you want to switch to a new keyboard when there is much to learn in the KNs. Anything and everything is there, folks – you just have to learn how to use it. There are still things that I do not know and am learning all the time. Secondly, this is directed to Audrey. You speak of having to carry so much when performing but I have to ask the question regarding the Yamaha Tyros 3. Has the company come to their senses by having the speakers in the keyboard? As we know, the Tyros 2 has to have the external speakers, which to me, not only is a pain to have to bring on a gig but also quite ugly sitting on top of the keyboard. It might be a lighter keyboard but in the long run, is it worth having to take all the extra baggage?

Member casarosa, please forgive me for misleading you on what the three things I mentioned did. Oh, my! I was having a little mischievous fun with the forum.

Kn7

#67645 - 11/08/08 04:10 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Kn7,

You mentioned Quote ".....playing certain notes in a style doesn’t necessarily play back the way you composed them. More often than not, they don’t play back correctly because of the harmony changes. When this happens, I go into Step Record and change NOT ALL but some of the notes in the piano riff or whatever instrument that has a melodic passage to play back correctly when hitting various harmonies, using CHORD MODIFY. I find that this takes a bit of experimenting to do this."

You can use the 'Special/Through' option in Chord Modify, to make a piano riff sound exactly as you compose it, irrespective of the chords played in the Left Hand. I use this facility quite often, in other parts of a style - not just in the Bass part - if I want say a Guitar or Vocal 'figure' playing, without being affected by the APC chords. It works well and doesn't need any experimentation

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#67646 - 11/08/08 04:13 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello KN7

Yes! the T3 speakers are still an option and I take your point about extra baggage, but as you can almost put them in your pocket, it will not be an issue particularly as I mostly use the Yamaha Stagepas 300 Portable PA System which is very compact and transported on wheels -(you should hear the
KN7 through them, wow!) so I doubt whether I will buy the speakers and there lies the reason Yamaha have gone down this road - the choice is yours.

However, the Technics instruments I have are still my favourites and always will be. I have had, and still do get, so much pleasure playing them and of course, I have learned so much and have made so many 'like-minded' friends from visiting this site which is priceless. Long may it reign.

Audrey

#67647 - 11/09/08 02:28 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
RMepstead Offline

If as you say KN7 so many KN7000 owners have or are moving on to other newer instruments...and in doing so have no doubt sold their KN7000s...where are all the new owners of these 'defunct' KN7000s; I'm sure they weren't / aren't all being thrown on the tip and I don't hear of Retailers being stuck with loads of them.
KN7000s don't die, they just fade away from Synthzone...
Rog

#67648 - 11/09/08 08:56 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
kn7 Offline

Rog, members fade away from Synth Zone because many have not bothered to LEARN the capabilities of the KN keyboards. There are many questions that could be asked on how to do certain tasks. Starting with learning how to change sounds – taking a sax sound and adding “Breath” to it to give it a sexy and more intimate sound. Using Drum User Kit for correct placement of drums. Have you ever really listened to some of the drum patterns and hear a cymbal played to the far left and a high hat played to the far right? Think about it! In reality, a drummer would have to have octopus arms to play like this. It’s cute for a stereo effect but not believable for those who know better. Learning to “cup” notes on a sax or bend notes on a guitar. Most of you never use a foot pedal to bend notes. You don’t play a sax sound like you play piano. One needs to FULLY UNDERSTAND how a musician plays his instrument. Another example: When in COMPOSER and doing a bass track, when going from say, C to G, you don’t just play G – you BEND THE NOTE. When a bass player plays, he moves his fingers up to the G and puts pressure on the string (bending it) to bring it in tune. Gee, you never thought of that.

Audrey, it is, indeed fun to play the keyboard but it is also TOTAL JOY to be able to create something entirely on your own. We only have to ask people like Bill and Larry and others to know this. You don’t do this until you psyche yourself to knuckle down and take the time to learn how to do some of these things. Members taking the time would be asking a million questions and the forum wouldn’t be drying up, as it clearly is.

Kn7

#67649 - 11/09/08 10:05 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
kn7 Offline

Bill, in my last post, I forgot to thank you for telling me how you do a melodic passage in COMPOSER. I will certainly use this the next time I do something in COMPOSER. Right now, I am very involved in transferring arrangements that I have done of songs that I will later add vocals to. I purchased a Boss 900CD digital recorder and I can’t say enough good things about it. I do realize that I could do my work on the computer but this unit is over the top in features. You can record up to 64 tracks. It has a professional studio mixer in it. There is, among many features, a compressor/limiter, a de-esser for too much sibilance, a 4-band EQ plus, another EQ feature that can be used, all sorts of reverbs, an overall tone adjustment for doing a master... the list goes on and on. ALSO, it has a built in CD burner. I am talking about a unit that is ONLY 12 inches wide, about 9 inches deep and around 2 inches high. INCREDIBLE with what you can do with this unit. It will even take a vocal that someone has sung out of key and correct it. Anyway, my KN has perfect input settings for everything and I am not doing any work in the keyboard as of now.

Thanks, again –

Kn7

#67650 - 11/10/08 01:35 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
RMepstead Offline

...and where did all the KN5000s and KN6000s go, eh...think about it...
Rog

#67651 - 11/10/08 08:30 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
Every morning I go to this forum to see what has been posted. It is such a pleasure to find wonderful information such as found here in this particular group of postings! Talk about a learning opportunity! ))

Like Audrey, I really just want to sit at my KN's (a 6000 for gigging, and a 7000 to enjoy at home.) My only home is a Motor Home and I cannot lift either KB.... My body is small, about 130 lbs and 5' tall...also I am in my 70's....

Music is a life long passion. I have a good ear... not exact or perfect pitch tho I do hear when sounds are not in harmony and my sense of rhythm is excellent. I taught myself to read the melody line at age 10 on a neighborhood Church piano... Church and school choir participation were very helpful in my musical education. Additionally, I do so enjoy performing!

As a youngster I spent many Saturday's in Hollywood, CA going to radio shows that featured Big Band era bands & singers. Mainly I listened to the singers and the words they were singing. I did not pay as much attention to the sounds of the band which of course had the better "timing"... except for Frank Sinatra!

I have never taken the time to learn to read on sight, the bass lines. The auto chords and 3 finger chording work for me. I am aware of all the wonderful creative things the 7K has to offer. I do try to understand the Composer features but not very often as I get very frustrated with my own lack of training and fumbling through the instructions! The sequencer is a feature I do work with tho I am never satisfied with my results. Muting and tweaking the sounds in many of the rhythms and trying different instruments are things I do frequently. Since my recent near-death experience, my "ear" has become far more sensitive to the sounds. I am making great changes in most of my registrations... making much softer sounds and fewer big drum sounds. My Christmas registrations that I have just begun to work with are so very harsh sounding! Lots of work to do with these!

About 15 years ago I bought my first KB..a Yammie. In addition to the 2 KN's I still have and play regularly, the 6K for gigs twice each week, and the 7K at home, I have owned a KN 1000, a 3000, and a 5000. Each of these has presented additional educational opportunities along the way. The 7K is for me the ultimate sound machine! There is much that I have yet to explore....! It is always such a joy to read on this forum what others are doing with their KN's and to learn of other KB's that are coming along to fill the void when the KN's are no longer working/available.

As I am a self-taught player except for what I learn on this and other forums/websites. I do not know the meanings of many of the descriptive musical words that are used by those who do have a real musical education... Eventually I do figure out what is meant in most cases.

I do not post much here anymore because it is somewhat embarassing to know so little about music generally.... and again, like Audrey, playing my KB is about my highest priority.

I am VERY grateful for all the information all of you share with those of us who are basically untutored! It would be a great loss to me should this forum fall by the wayside for lack of input.

This is basically my personal THANK YOU for all you do to help in my musical learning and all the help you offer regarding my KN7. Your help is priceless to me.

ELIZABETH EVELYN

------------------

#67652 - 11/11/08 09:59 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
kn7 Offline

Well, I see this thread is drying up. It is either this or members are thinking about what has been said or in “tilt” or decided to move on to new buttons to push on that awaited Tyros 3 that promises to strap you in and take you to the moon. Of course, you will have to leave those outboard speakers behind because they will look like EARS for the Aliens on the moon and they don’t want to be confused with, “Who’s this?” Anyway, this reply is directed at a dear lady named Elizabeth Evelyn.

Hi, Elizabeth! I am unsure if you go by Elizabeth Evelyn or if Evelyn is your last name. I’ll just call you Elizabeth and no disrespect intended. You sound not only like a dear lady but a true music lover. Bless your heart. You keep on playing beautiful music. I and others, I am sure, appreciated all you said in your post. Yes, the KN7000 is a “heavy” but well worth it. I really don’t know anything about the KN2600 but I do believe it is considerably lighter and has the SD card feature. Perhaps you will be able to pick one up for one hundred dollars that someone has anxiously turned in for the Tyros 3. ~.~ You came from a time when the most beautiful music was created. Music written in the 1920’s through part of the 1950’s will never be matched or written again. They say, “what goes ‘round comes ‘round.” Well, if we all live long enough, we shall see. Actually, there were some fine songs written in the late 1950’s and up through the late 1960’s – after that it became, “God, help us all!” Sadly, people started preferring a less challenge to the ears. Three-chord harmony became less challenging and acceptable and to the point of not wanting to hear anything else. Melodies with rich harmonies were yawned at. It has been this ‘norm’ for the last 30 to 40 years. Music today, if one can call it that, is more of a strong beat, with a thumping bass for all the fried ears of listening to rock ‘n roll and heavy metal through the years. Oh, and let’s not forget, repeating a phrase 16 times in what is called a song. “Can’t get enough of you, babe.” Well written lyrics are a thing of the past but what the hell, “keep on rockin’.” What really surprises me is that Seniors today who should know better are willing to wear a T-shirt with “Rock and Roll is here to stay.” Well, gooooooooooooooolly!

In closing, I truly admire someone like Larry Gosmeyer that continually does “The American Songbook.” He has been most generous to this forum with his renditions. There may be some hope, folks because of artists like Michael Feinstein, Harry Connick, Jr. and a singer that seems to be getting a lot of attention today, Michael Buble. These three artists, as well as Dianne Reeves and especially, the lovely Diana Krall also get a lot of plays. These artists all do the Standards. As the old saying goes, “Keep on keeping on.”

kn7

#67653 - 11/11/08 10:20 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
RMepstead Offline

Hi KN7
I guess you must be American as I don't recognise 'TILT' as a British expression - in fact the only reference that I can find to it is as follows...
Tilt is a poker term for a state of mental confusion or frustration in which a player adopts a less than optimal strategy...
Is that what you mean?
Rog

#67654 - 11/11/08 12:04 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
kn7 Offline

Rog,

Uh huh to both. Much like a pinball machine when it is in tilt - out of commission - dead and not functioning. Yes, I am from the other side of the pond - America. Does this make me a bad guy?

kn7

#67655 - 11/11/08 02:12 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by kn7:
.... Yes, I am from the other side of the pond - America. Does this make me a bad guy?

Probably not a bad guy, but reading your post on top make me think you maybe
tend to tilt in the direction of being arrogant?

Happy Playing (whatever level as player or brand played)
Cheers
GJ

Btw,
new buttons to push don't nessesary mean you don't know what old buttons already
pressed does, can do or did.
In fact, new buttons (keyboards) are very exciting, even for me who don't have
as much as a half persent of Alec's or other members knowledge about it.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#67656 - 11/11/08 02:57 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
RMepstead Offline

No - it just makes you American!
chuckle...
Rog

#67657 - 11/12/08 07:17 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
etwo4788 Offline

KN7.... Thanks for your response to my post above. You are correct, I am a "dear lady".... I like to say that "I am comfortable in my skin"..... My "home base" is in S.E. NM, just north of Carlsbad. Where are you located?

Your post seemed rather "patronizing" to me.. like I am near death in my 70's. Being comfortable in my skin means, for me, I know and like who and what I am. What others think of me is not my business....
What I think of me IS my business....

It is very true that "Objectivity" is NOT possible for human beings.... We are each totally subjective.

Gunnar Johnny.... There are several who post here that seem quite "arrogant" to me as well... They also help others on this forum as much as the non-arrogant posters.

Roger... the meaning of "tilt" posted by KN7 is an adequate description in my mind as well. There are many words you folks on the other side of the pond who say some funny words to my ear. That to me is very much a part of your charm! You are certainly one of several on this forum who are great teachers for me... I thank you all for your generous sharing....

Gotta run and go play for the seniors in my local community!

ELIZABETH

where in "America" are you located?

------------------

#67658 - 11/12/08 08:17 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
RMepstead Offline

Hi Elizabeth
All the Americans that I have met during several visits to Synthzone keyboard conventions both in Florida and California have absolutely wonderful kind and very very helpful. They are also marvellously talented keyboard musicians...golly it makes me feel like I want to come over again if it wasn't for the current financial crisis!!!
Rog

#67659 - 11/12/08 08:20 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
kn7 Offline

Hi, Elizabeth –

Now, that we have established your one name basis – no, “dear lady” I was not in the least patronizing you for being in your seventies. You’re wrinkles don’t need ironing, you’ve just had a nap on a chenille bedspread. Did you hear about the woman that had a facelift? There is nothing in her shoes. She wears a dog collar to hide her navel. Most on the forum are nearing or in their seventies. Bob Hendershot has to be at least in his nineties because of his cantankerous ways. Are you listening Bobby? I’ll hear about that. Back to you, Elizabeth – I am in Northern California, about 40 miles from Yosemite National Park, one of the most beautiful places in the world. I’m afraid we are drifting away from being taught anything on this forum. Personally, I am beyond teachable.

kn7

#67660 - 11/12/08 11:35 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
When you are as old as I am, you get to be as cantankerous as you want and then just blame it on another senior moment . . .

#67661 - 11/12/08 05:23 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
kn7 Offline

Bob - Oh, there you are! You came out of your coma! I stuck my finger in your mouth and no response. Having a little fun with you. Very well put.

kn7

#67662 - 11/12/08 06:15 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
Bob Hendershot Offline

Well . . . A few of us are older than dirt. When your kids get senior discounts at restaurants you look into a mirror with an utmost awe! You can be cantankerous but you have to do it eloquently.

#67663 - 11/12/08 08:30 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi Elizabeth, I think you are lovely too. Your post gives one a great insight into your character, just like Audrey, who has a nice way with words too. I am like you, I just like to play and have little time to fiddle with the technology, apart from the sequencer which is my severe critic.
I do not believe that, as some have said,arrogance is the right word for someone who has superior knowledge and/or ability, unless they misuse that talent to look down on those who are not so rich in the same skills.We are all rich in something whether it be sport, music, dancing, good looks (that's me) and also the world's best liar, but we should respect and learn at all times from others,which is why i use this forum.
KN7 has had a ball stirring all of the respondents and is laughing up his sleeve at the action he created.
To coin a phrase of a World Champion Boxer(Jeff Fenech) I love youse all, and have made you all Honorary Aussies,(Down Under).
PS Someone was once asked how old they were, and they replied "I am 79, I am not old until next year. See Ya !!!
The Saint

#67664 - 11/12/08 08:37 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
kn7 Offline

Hi, Bob –

Nice to see your postings. I’m glad you have a sense of humor. I meant no harm. You may find this story funny. In my community, there are about six stores that offer a discount to Seniors on Tuesdays. A couple of stores offer this discount throughout the week. This took place a couple of months ago. I was in line at a grocery store and it was a Tuesday and there was a very friendly elderly lady in front of me, talking a mile a minute to anyone and everyone in line, including me. Let me just say that she was quite a personality. As we got closer to the cashier, I told her, “Don’t forget your discount.” She got all excited and said, “Discount! What discount? What do you mean by a discount? Why do I get a discount?” I looked dryly at her and said, “Because you are OLD!” Everyone in line burst out laughing. Her husband was over to the side, waiting for her and heard me and bent over laughing at what I said. She laughed and as she laughed, she smacked me on the shoulder for saying it. The cashier was laughing to the point of having trouble scanning the woman’s groceries.

kn7

#67665 - 11/12/08 09:11 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
kn7 Offline

Hi, everyone -

I just posted to Bebop's free music post. Please view what I said. I gave a link to my website for listening to one of the finest singers that ever lived. My post will tell you all about it. Enjoy.

kn7

#67666 - 11/12/08 10:55 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
etwo4788 Offline

Hey Bob Hendershot....Now here is a fine fellow American who has been a HUGE help to me!

Early this year I purchased a used Music Pad Pro.... Bob spent hours & days walking me through very defined instructions on how to work with my new toy... I have a stack of paper of all the emails we shared filled with his instructions and my questions...

The first week of May I traveled to the N.W corner of Arkansas and knowing that Bob was in TN, I tried to talk him into coming to visit me... He declined.

I did not get back to my New Mexico Home Base until the end of September and tho I hate to admit it, I have not done any more work with the MPP than to play from Bob's music that he generously shared with me... I have yet to install my own music sheets into the MPP!

Let me tell you what I am sure many of you already know.... Retirement is the busiest part of life! Finally when we get to do what we want to do whenever we choose.... there are just too few hours in each day!

I will have more to say in the morning...all you Brits are asleep now and probably most of the Americans except for the folks in CA....

ELIZABETH....

#67667 - 11/13/08 02:54 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
RMepstead Offline

Is KN7 really nsr007....?

#67668 - 11/13/08 10:09 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
Bob Hendershot Offline

Hi Elizabeth, I really did give a lot of thought about a trip to Branson while you were in that area. Too many committments . . .

Don't think so, Roger. I do remember that at the time, he thought I might have been a little too rough with our friend. He just came on the scene too late to have a feel for some of the background.

EDIT:

Hi Norman, Just visited Garnet records. . . You switched names quickly after we last talked. Roger was right after all. Oh well! Thought you were gone forever. . . Hope you have learned by now how to use your SD card.

[This message has been edited by Bob Hendershot (edited 11-13-2008).]

#67669 - 11/13/08 05:44 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
kn7 Offline

Hi, Uncle Bob -

Yes I have learned how to use the SD card in a better way by your and other’s suggestion. You did come down hard on me, even after I gave a very thankful post to you and others, that your way was better than mine. Please keep in mind that the way I was filing songs worked - it just was NOT the best way. Your way was a far better way of doing things and if you remember in my post, I stated so. Anyway, let's move on. I am trying to keep the forum alive. You and others know, there have been few posts on the forum for quite sometime. My "spice" that I have been posting is to keep the juices alive. People like Rog, the "even if it was good, I wouldn't like it" won't make me lose any sleep. I’m blowing a kiss to you Rog across the pond – lighten up!

kn7

#67670 - 11/13/08 06:25 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
Bob Hendershot Offline

Norman, or Scott, or Reed, or whatever you call yourself today, you just don't seem to get it. You can't exude caustic, pompous and unwelcome stuff and then smooth it all over with some silly quip. You are certainly not needed to keep this wonderful forum alive. Some things are like a festering sore that just won't go away. See my post at Bebop's thread.

#67671 - 11/14/08 09:44 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
fredyfr Offline

Loc: altea, spain
I just wish to add that although, at times it may seem there is little action here, but bear in mind that many little unexperienced KN7000 players are busy looking over dozens or hundreds of older posts. Well, I am one of those. And thankful too that all this knowledge is available to the newcomers.

------------------

#67672 - 11/14/08 09:50 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
fredyfr Offline

Loc: altea, spain
a short message for CASAROSA
I see that you are in Spain, which part pls?
I am on the Costa Blanca, near Benidorm.
Are you around here too?
Regards
Fredy, alias peeanoplayer

#67673 - 11/16/08 12:22 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
casarosa Offline

Hola
We are down in Costa Calida

#67674 - 11/17/08 08:55 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
Jim Helwig Offline

Loc: Sebring, Florida, USA
And a "Hi" to all my friends here in S-Zone. I've read this thread with some interest, and thought I'd chip in an opinion.
Different people play music for many different reasons. Some are professionals who do it for the $$...some are home enthusiasts who play for the love of playing, some love to "tinker" with settings to suit themsleves....the list could go on ad infinitum.
I would love to have the time available to me to really get to know all the little nuances of the 7000, there is much that I don't know. However, I tend to be a "player" who performs professionally. I've never had a lot of luck delving into the far recesses of a keyboard, but I haven't really felt the need to do this. For me, the 7000 does pretty much everything I need to present a decent "live" performance, and right now, that's all I need.
If and when I retire, I'll have time to really get into some of the more obscure inner workings of the 7000, but right now, time is the problem.
I would submit to kn7 that many people are very satisfied to play the 7000 "as-is" and simply because they do this doesn't mean that they are somehow "lacking" because they don't really care to learn all of the tricks etc. to it. There is an intimidation factor to be considered, given that many people prefer not to start pressing buttons etc. with the mistaken belief that somehow, they'll "screw something up" lol. Those of us who have begun to scratch the surface of the inner 7000 workings know differently, but to each his/her own. In the absense of a 3rd "Alec How-To" publication, this forum is really the only point of reference for many of us now, and hopefully, it'll be around for considerable time to come.

#67675 - 11/17/08 04:47 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
Bazz Woods Offline

Loc: British Isles
Sorry.
KN2600 here.Havent been on for a while.
Not that I know it all just workin away.
Cheers Barry

#67676 - 11/18/08 11:33 AM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
fmlk Offline

Loc: Eindhoven, Netherlands
Hi People,

Just as a goodbye: until Friday you can hear me playing my new keyboard on:
http://www.jukeboxforum.be/jukebox.htm

where I am at the end of the row.

------------------

#67677 - 11/18/08 07:59 PM Re: Synth Zone/DEAD ZONE
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Synth Zone/Dead zone

Boy does that sound familiar. I remember trying to wake up this forum and not being very successful. My friend Bob Hendershot tried telling me to leave it as was, they were doing fine. Not to change something that has been successful. He was so very right, this is a good place and my reasons for wanting the change was because I needed something for myself. This forum is doing just fine, one day it will die like all of us but until then it is to be enjoyed as it is.

I have never stopped reading this forum, the people are nice here. I would like to say I should have never sold my KN7 but that is not the truth. For me it would have been like having two wives, I could not travel in two directions because I enjoy going into every little corner and learning and using. And that is not for everybody, there’s enough of us crazies present without adding more. To enjoy your keyboard is the bottom line, no more.

Do I miss my KN7? Yes I do, but I would not go back to it. The are features that no other keyboard manufacture has been able to duplicate one being the Sequencer. The other the big band sound.

IMHO, John C.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online