SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6759 - 05/21/03 12:38 PM I've made up my mind on what synth do buy.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay well I have thought about for a long time and have debated about what to buy and listend to several people give me their input. After much deliberation and searching for just the right synth. I've decided to buy a Roland Juno-60. I know some of might say I shouldn't becuse of the Nikle cadium battery inside might leak. Well I have never come across anyone with this problem, well none that I am aware of anyway.

Every synthesizer that I had looked at or recommended to buy just did not interest me. Not the VA's like the MS2K or Nord Lead (still too expensive). Only the Roland Juno-60 seems to be the one. True it does not have MIDI but it does have a DCB port on the back so I'm sure I could figure out away to hook it up to a computer with a DCB-MIDI converter.

Oh and I am going to also look for a MIDI Controller keyboard because there are some softsynths out there that I like. Such as NI's Absynth.

#6760 - 06/01/03 03:21 PM Re: I've made up my mind on what synth do buy.
Equalizer Offline

Loc: Scotland
Those are both great choices.

You get a definate thumbs up from me.

#6761 - 06/01/03 10:48 PM Re: I've made up my mind on what synth do buy.
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
You did it right when you decided to buy what interests YOU. That's a wise choice no matter WHAT you buy !
(former Juno owner!)

#6762 - 06/02/03 08:00 AM Re: I've made up my mind on what synth do buy.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Haven't exactly bought one. I keep changeing my mind. Now I am not sure waht I really want.

#6763 - 06/02/03 08:21 PM Re: I've made up my mind on what synth do buy.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well Paul, I am going to throw a wrench in on the gears for a second just to say that there is only one thing that is different about a Juno-60 and a Juno 106.
The Juno-60 is pre MIDI, DCB Controlled

The Juno-106 is MIDI Controllable.

Their panel operation is just about the same and their voice chip IS the same.
Lastly their price is about the same. (DCB Controller not included). Bottom line though; Dave is right. Get what floats your boat.

#6764 - 06/02/03 10:44 PM Re: I've made up my mind on what synth do buy.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay! Even though I said I had made up my mind to buy a Roland Juno-60 I am still not sure if I want one because now I am finding other keyboards to consider. So here is a list of what I am considering.

Roland Juno-60
Roland Juno-106
Roland RS5 or RS9
Roland A33 (this is a midi board)
Kawai K5000s (have owned one before)
Korg MS2000
Korg Triton Le
Kurzweil PC 88
Ensoniq Fizmo
Ensoniq ASR 88
Oberheim OB12
Nord Lead
Access Virus Indigo (though could not afford)
Waldorf XTK (another pipe dream)
Novation K Station
Yamaha AN1x
Yamaha CS1x or CS2x
Minimoog (bought one but wound up lost in the mail)

As you can see I have quite an extensive list and a very hard descion too make. I like each one but I can only afford to buy just one. I would love to own every single synth listed here but I have neither the money or the room. So for now it will have to be just one. I hate makeing descions.

#6765 - 06/03/03 05:45 PM Re: I've made up my mind on what synth do buy.
Soft Machine Offline

your list has stuff thats just not on your budget. You have a whole life ahead of you,

life is short

Dont make a fuss over "sound"

if you're not happy with what you've bought
you can always sell or trade.

#6766 - 06/03/03 09:13 PM Re: I've made up my mind on what synth do buy.
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
I just bought an OBERHEIM OB-12 and a NOVATION K-STATION and they are both excellent synthesizers . I would have to say that going by our past discussions and what you have told me and everyone else about what it is you like , I can say this .
Roland RS-5 and RS-9
Korg Triton LE
Ensoniq ASR-88
YAMAHA CS-1X and CS-2X
These you will not like , they are boring sample playback machines .
If you like the simplicity of the ARP synthesizers that you have and you want to just be able to build you're own sounds then here are some good ones .
KORG POLY-6 , KORG DELTA , KORG SIGMA
ROLAND JUNO-6 , JUNO-60 , JUNO-106
YAMAHA SY-1 , SY-2 , CS-5
NOVATION BASS STATION , A STATION , K STATION
REDSOUND DARKSTAR , DARKSTAR XP-2
FUTURE RETRO 777
PAIA 9700 MODULAR
SEQUENTIAL CIRCUITS PRO-ONE , PROPHET-600
SIEL DK-600 ( OPERA 6 )

I think these will do what you want and they will not KILL you're wallet .

#6767 - 06/04/03 07:52 AM Re: I've made up my mind on what synth do buy.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you 800dv. Finnally I got a straight answer from someone. I was even considering a roland JP8000. But that could still be out of my price range. But I see what you mean about simplicity. I do prefer my AXXE over the OMNI. Plus I have played witht the Axxe more then I have witht the omni. Having a stinrg synth does not help. plus it has two dead keys. I stll have not brought myself to part with it. Unless there is someone who would want it.

#6768 - 06/04/03 08:19 AM Re: I've made up my mind on what synth do buy.
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
That tends to happen to string machines , keys go dead , or no sound at all . String machines are not really synthesizers , they are organs . They use the same type of super sonic oscillator with divide down circuitry that an organ uses . The best string machines are from CRUMAR and ROLAND from my experience.

The KORG DELTA is like an ARP ONMI but is more versatile , that is it's a string machine with a more versatile synthesizer section than the ARP OMNI . Plus it's WAY more reliable .
You already know about the ROLAND JUNO's .
The KORG POLY -6 is similar but it has a different sound .
The SIGMA is monophonic but is really capable of unique sounds .
The SIEL DK-600 is a dual oscillator 6 voice synthesizer ( ROLAND JUNO'S have only one ) , it has a really nice sound and it has MIDI . It's an Italian made synthesizer , make sure it works perfectly before you get one . If it has any problems , DO NOT get it , no one will fix it .
Also I forgot to mention the ROLAND SH-101 , SH-09 , and SH-2 .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online