SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#66666 - 03/10/08 10:04 AM CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Through several emails with one of the forum members, the subject of CUSTOM PANEL was brought up. I never used the feature. Bringing it to my attention, I decided to use it because it seemed a good way to save all panel memories instead of saving them on the SD card. Day before yesterday, I did the set and got a COMPLETED. I thought everything was fine. Yesterday, I decided to play one of the song files using SD SONG MEDLEY. Every one of RIGHT 2 sounds was changed because of using the CUSTOM PANEL. I don’t understand why this happened because when I save songs, I always save the panel memory that I have done the song in. Why the CUSTOM PANEL over rides this is surprising. I don’t think it should do this but since it has, I will no longer use this feature. I had to go into 14 songs in this file and change all the RIGHT 2 settings back to the sounds they were supposed to be. A big job, I might add. Anyone have any thoughts why this happened?

Scott

#66667 - 03/10/08 12:15 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Question for you Scott.
The sequenced stuff that you previously saved in panel memories prior to your mishap - did you save it as 'Normal' panel memory mode or 'Expand' panel memory mode; and if it was the latter what did you specify in the Expand Mode Filter.
My thinking is that when you try to recall previously saved stuff it is not overriding the custom panel stuff because of unaware limitations you placed in the original panel memory savings...not well explained but perhaps you get my drift.
Rog

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 03-10-2008).]

#66668 - 03/10/08 01:38 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
There are a couple more questions that might help us understand your problem, Scott. You said "it seemed a good way to save all panel memories instead of saving them on the SD card". What do you think is saved when you do the custom panel save?

Where is the file that contains the 14 songs? If the songs are in SD memory, why do you want to avoid using the SD card for Panel Memory setups?

After you pressed the Custom Panel button to retrieve the Custom Panel setup that you had saved, did you press any of the Panel Memory buttons?

When you corrected the 14 songs did you save them back to the SD card? If so, did you save the Panel Memory also?

#66669 - 03/10/08 02:02 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
BOB HENDERSHOT.....

I've been trying to reach you via email since Saturday evening with no success.... Will you please contact me? Do you have another edress?

Please excuse my intrusion on this thread..

ELIZABETH EVELYN

------------------

#66670 - 03/10/08 04:01 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
Bob Hendershot Offline

Elizabeth, try again. Got the mail you sent this afternoon.

#66671 - 03/10/08 04:57 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
nsr007 Offline

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses. Firstly, when I record a song in Sequencer, I use PANEL MEMORY BANK A. I do not use any of the Banks 1 through 10 for sequenced work. When I save a song on SD card, I save the following only: CURRENT PANEL, PANEL MEMORY 3BANK, (Not All Panel Memory) SEQUENCER and EFFECT MEMORY. I know that some of you do as Bob does and save work done in COMPOSER, SOUND MEMORY and PERFORMANCE PADS as well as the others that I save. Bob knows that I get my styles from the CUSTOM STYLES that I have created and not from COMPOSER. I purposefully do not get involved with saving SOUND MEMORY on each song and here is why: Say that I have done a song six months ago and during the last six months, I have created several new sounds. If I bring up a six-month old song saved with the Sound Memories that I had at that time and start to play live, a song that has later custom sounds in Sound Memory, they won’t be there for my use. I try not to get involved with saving SOUND MEMORY. I save SOUND MEMORY only when I have created new sounds to add to what I already have that have been saved. The sounds are always there. If for some reason that they are not, I reload them again from the card.

Rog, I always work with EXPAND MEMORY MODE. Everything is set to ON other than MIDI, which is OFF.

Bob, I am probably wrong but I assume when saving CUSTOM PANEL, it is saving BANKS A, B, C as well as saving BANKS 1 through 10. Is this not correct? Before I ever tried using CUSTOM PANEL and had all my Panel Memories set as I wanted, I would always save them on the SD Card by saving only ALL PANEL MEMORY.

I might add to the aforementioned – when saving SOUND MEMORY, ALL PANEL MEMORY and CUSTOM STYLES, I save each as a single file. This brings them up quickly. I seldom get involved with CUSTOM STYLES unless I have another 20 styles that are different. CUSTOM STYLES is the only file that takes more time to load or is from my experience.

I’m hoping all of what I have said is understandable. Many of you on the forum are much more advanced than I am with some of these technical issues.

In closing, I might add that what I found strange with these changes is in RIGHT2, they were all changed to BIG BAND BRASS, which is in SOUND EXPLORER. I find this very odd.

Scott

#66672 - 03/10/08 05:47 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
Bob Hendershot Offline

Scott, read page 23 of your manual re Custom Panel. Note the bottom paragraph where it says "if there is ONE particular combination of settings". It's like a single panel memory button that always stays the same until you intentionally change it. Pressing the Custom Panel button will bring up whatever panel settings you saved for that button. Pressing any other panel memory button cancels the Custom Panel setting and the Custom Panel light will go out. A solution to the panel setup problem is to always insert the panel memory button that you want to use for the song at the beginning of the song sequence.

It is still not clear where you have the file of 14 songs. If you are using Custom Styles for all the songs, I suspect that things have changed since you saved the custom styles and you need to do an all custom style load from your backup before you begin to play. It is easy to get settings confused when you depend on Custom Styles. Custom Styles were great with older keyboards that took a lot of time for song setup loads from disk. The SD card is so fast that there is little need for them with the KN7000. I avoid Custom Styles like the plague.

I am totally baffled by your comment on Sound Files. I can't find the logic there so will not try to comment except to say that they should ALWAYS be included in the same file save and load as the Sequencer file.

This is also true with your comment on saving individual files. With the possible exception of All Custom files the difference in load times is almost negligible.

#66673 - 03/10/08 09:36 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
nsr007 Offline

Bob, I thought I gave a good example by saying if I saved SOUND MEMORY in a sequenced song I did six months ago and after playing it, wanting to immediately play a live performance by using Panel Memories, I would not have the later added sounds in SOUND MEMORY that I have chosen in a current Panel Memory to play live. It seems to me that you load from the SD card every song you play. I use the SD card only when I have to. I don’t want to be bothered of loading each song I play and the way you are suggesting is what I would have to do. If I put Sound Memory on every song that I did in Sequencer, the Sound Memory would most likely be changing. If I wanted to play a song live, I would have to download Sound Memory to make sure I had the latest sounds in my Panel Memories. I don’t want to do that. I might want to play 10 songs live and I expect all the sounds that I created to be in Sound Memory. Saving SOUND MEMORY in every sequenced song is a dangerous thing when one plays live because of the changing sound possibilities. Saving Sound Memory in every sequenced song the way you do might be fine for someone who does not change sounds in Sound Memory or who plays every song by loading them from the SD card.

When I did this CUSTOM PANEL setting, the CUSTOM STYLES did not change – they are fine. The only thing that changed was RIGHT2 in all the Panel Memories. What I didn’t make clear in my post was that the sounds in SOUND MEMORY had not changed. What changed was what took place in BANK A Panel Memories where I have my songs sequenced. The sound in RIGHT2 in all the BANK A Panel Memories changed to BIG BAND BRASS. I had to go to every song I saved and change RIGHT2 to the correct sound used in each Panel Memory. This strange thing did not happen in RIGHT1 in any of the Panel Memories.

Bob, from what you said about using the CUSTOM PANEL, it doesn’t sound like it would be much use to me. If it is going to negate any setting by going to another Panel Memory, I don’t see the advantage. Saving a sequenced song, I save the PANEL MEMORY 3BANK so I have the Panel Memory needed. I will check the page you suggested but as I write, it doesn’t sound that useful. I thought that doing a set in CUSTOM PANEL saved every Bank, the same way as if you save ALL PANEL MEMORIES on the SD Card. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that it saves only the one Panel Memory presently being used. Is this correct?

Scott

#66674 - 03/11/08 03:20 AM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
After reading all that is posted here I’m left with a sense of confusion.
My rules – Keep in mind that I do not have KN7000 or a manual, this is right off the top of my head.
Work as the keyboard was designed to work, add your ideas to the system. If you invent a way contrary to the keyboard’s design you will have problems that can not be solved.
1-When saving the keyboard automatically selects that which should be saved – “Performance” -- you can change the preference if there is a good enough reason – only if needed.

2-Whenever you play a sequence from a source other than yourself or your own there is a danger that the sequence may make undesirable changes without you being aware of it.

3-To load to load the 20 custom styles for each endeavor is not a great idea –
so I have four different 20 custom styles that fit special types of music. Big band, Sing-a-longs, Dance and specialty. In an evening I may load the 20 custom styles two or three times. (If needed)

4-I save 10 normal panel settings, “not extended”, for my live playing. Either playing a song from memory or reading I have 10 banks to chose form. Each bank has been created to use with a specific type of music.
EX. Big Band Ballads – Big Bands Moderate – Big Band Strong – Latin – Polka – Waltz –Disco ect—I am ready to play live.

5-In extended play my panel memory, all 13 banks are setup with a song title and a keyboard setup. Press one memory button and I’m playing the song.

My discipline:
1-Whenever I decide to record anything with the keyboard I load my normal panel settings above, this way I am always working from the same base. This includes the sound memory.

2-If I record a sequence I will always copy the style I am using from the custom 20 to the memory style. I feel that no matter what the style is it needs some editing to best fit the song.

3-If I decide to edit a instrument sound I add to the original sound memory, the same sound memory that I load be fore I start anything. My sound memory is always growing in an orderly fashion. I do not have more than one sound memory that would add to much confusion, 40 are enough for me.

4-I do not find it necessary to select certain parts when I am saving unless there is a reason, the SD card has a large enough capacity. When I work with my keyboard I select the first choice of saving which is the “Performance” – Technics knew what they were doing. IMPORTANT, save panel setting to “ALL” I want all 13 banks not three. (Not just A B and C)

5-On my SD card and a floppy I have every area of the user sections covered. Someone can sit at my keyboard and change everything and I am covered.

6-I am very careful with the OTS, I do not like many of the instrument choices. I need to have control.

Scott, I sense your frustration – I am guessing that is because your are going against the design of the keyboard. If I have not covered your issue please respond and I’ll give it anther go.

Hope this helps, John C.

#66675 - 03/11/08 12:31 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
Bob Hendershot Offline

You made some excellent points, John. Most everyone I know has a keyboard setup in SD memory that takes them back to whatever setup they prefer to use for just playing whatever comes to mind, or playing live without sequences or specific song setups. I use SD card location 01-01. I know of others that use 99-01. It doesn't matter where the setup is located, you just need to have a location that is easy to remember. The file needs to have everything in it including a blank sequencer file as well as the sound memory file. As you said, there is no worry about changes in the keyboard or other people inadvertantly changing the setup. All it takes to return to the settings you want, is a SD card load of less than five seconds and you are ready to play live.

Scott is using custom memory styles and edited sounds in sound memory as a part of a song sequence and is not saving the style nor the sound memory with the sequence save. That forces him to be constantly worried about any changes in those areas. It is inevitable that somewhere downstream the sequence will be played and unexpected results will occur because changes have taken place since the sequence was made. His fear that changes will occur is unfounded if he would simply include these things in the sequence save process. That means, as you implied, copying the custom style to the composer and using the composer instead of the custom style with the sequence. Then the composer file and sound file would be saved with the sequence. If these things are done the sequence could be played several years later with no concern about inappropriate settings.

I should clarify that when I said that I avoid custom styles like the plague above I should have emphasized that I was talking about using custom styles in a sequence. They are obviously a great tool for non sequenced playing.

#66676 - 03/11/08 03:54 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
Bob Hendershot Offline

Scott, you said:

"Saving SOUND MEMORY in every sequenced song is a dangerous thing when one plays live because of the changing sound possibilities."

I can only say again what I said in the above post. All it takes to return to the settings you want, is a SD card load of less than five seconds and you are ready to play live.

Back to Custom Panel again. The answer to your question is "Yes".

I don't know exactly what you did that changed your panel memory setups or if they were even changed at all. A Custom Panel setup does not change other Panel Memory setups.>

#66677 - 03/11/08 06:04 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
I have read this posting with great interest and to me it is all totally confusing and seems to entail a lot of hard work.

All I do when planning a 'gig' is firstly to find out the type of music required, set up the styles on the KN7, then save to an SD Card and/or SD Favourites. Finally I pencil in the file and song number on the music sheet. You can then access the song either by the SD Card number or SD Favourites, which is loaded in seconds. For added security I 'lock' the SD Card to prevent it accidentally being overwritten by myself or anyone else.

Literally hundreds of songs/settings can be saved to the SD Card Favourites and it is well worth using. (Thanks for that Roger...)

Audrey

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 03-11-2008).]

#66678 - 03/11/08 07:00 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
Bob Hendershot Offline

Audrey, your method is the way almost everyone I know works. I also use load by number and have the SD card location written on each music sheet. It is simple. It is safe. It is quick. And, it is efficient.

#66679 - 03/12/08 05:12 AM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
RMepstead Offline

Having read all this I am certain that it is, by default, what Scott did not save that caused the changes to occur.
If you don't save sound to panel memories then that area - sound - will be open/subject to every subsequent deliberate or accidental change that occurs sound wise whether it's Right 1 Right 2 or even Left.
I can understand Scott finding a method to ensure continuity of play particularly if the music is uptempo and Scott is singing to it - hence the use of SD Song Medley. What I guess he's never discovered is just how quickly SD Cards load the next setting for the next number with all the safety factors built into that approach for saving/recalling your work.
Incidentally I move custom styles as quickly as possible to Memory bank 'A' as Custom Style is liable to be altered by adding other custom styles!!!

#66680 - 03/12/08 06:06 AM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!

Audrey, I agree, it is a lot of work –BUT--- that little funny word, once it is done I feel the major part is over and if I am going to play a job that requires special music or just wish to play live wherever and I am fully prepared.

It is my nature to use my instrument to the fullest extent, the work involved has always been a welcomed challenge. When a new keyboard enters my life breaking to code (Operating system) has always been exciting, new discoveries.

I should add that my set up started with the KN3000 is still the same. It has traveled from the Kn30000 to the Kn5000, Kn6500 and the KN7000. Each new keyboard brought improvements to my set up. It is constantly growing.
This would not be possible if I did not start with a well thought out base.
How is it said, “Different strokes for different folks” true.

I bring all this information to the Jam in Florida.

John C.

PS, I have been transferring my KN thoughts to my new Toy, Yamaha S900, it has been one tall task BUT, "here I go again", it is almost done.

#66681 - 03/12/08 09:35 AM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
Audrey Turner Offline

Hello all,

I agree with Bruno, there are many ways to work with technology to achieve the same end result and when you find a system that suits you'd be wise to stick to it. Fortunately, over the years all Technics keyboards have used very similar 'basics' and as Bruno said it is great fun to find out the added'extras' to each new keyboard.

However, it took me quite awhile to grasp the fact the ABC Panel Memories only hold the data for 80 minutes when the keyboard was switched off which was very frustrating at the time and although I have moved on quite a bit since then, I will admit I am still learning each day particularly through this Forum which to me is the best on the net.

Your new toy sounds very interesting Bruno. I went to a 'Y' demonstration recently and was quite impressed with the 900 so much so, I'm thinking of getting one to link up with the KN7 via midi, would this possible or would the two keyboards be incompatible?

Audrey

#66682 - 03/12/08 12:30 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!

Quoting Audrey
I went to a 'Y' demonstration recently and was quite impressed with the 900 so much so, I'm thinking of getting one to link up with the KN7 via midi, would this possible or would the two keyboards be incompatible?

Audrey, It is possible BUT, here’s that word again, I have found that the quality or type of sound coming from the two keyboards or sound module was not compatible. When I added the second sound I felt it was coming from another place. You also have to deal with midi settings, although it came be done you are open to a third party midi file which may change your settings. There are way to protect the data but you have entered another stage of learning, it now becomes less user friendly.

But, ha ha I just love using that word, it puts me on the other side – This is what I would do:
1-First – Do not do as I did – I sold my Kn7000 and bought a S900. That is equivalent to one real good move and one terrible one, ya might relate that to tunnel vision. You can also relate that to this aging mind, There is a Jam coming in Florida this March, I just might be able to steel Glen’s Kn7000.

2-Have a double rack stand and use each one independently. You will have the best of both worlds. Both keyboards excel in different areas, work in those areas. One keyboard waiting while playing the other, great. Big Band song to a contemporary song, wow that sounds so good.

John C.

#66683 - 03/12/08 02:01 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
nsr007 Offline

Greetings, everyone!

Thank you for your suggestions, your thoughts and the way you have your KN7000 set up. I will try to respond to all statements that I have not already responded to.

John C, you state: “Work as the keyboard was designed to work, add your ideas to the system. If you invent a way contrary to the keyboard’s design you will have problems that can not be solved.” I think I pretty much keep to the keyboard’s design. Keep in mind that one of the defaults in saving is not ALL PANEL MEMORY but only PANEL MEMORY 3 BANKS. Since you don’t have a KN7000 to know this, you have to select ALL PANEL MEMORY to save it. I only save the default setting, PANEL MEMORY 3 BANKS because that is all that I need on a sequenced song since the song was done in PANEL MEMORY A. I do not want to save ALL PANEL MEMORY because that would also be a problem as is SOUND MEMORY changing. When I have my 10 banks of panel memories set up, I do not want any changes down the line unless I purposefully make changes, either from adding new sounds or outright adjustments to the panel settings. I want to always rely on their being as I have set them. Saving them each time I do a new sequenced song has the strong possibility of the panel memories being changed. If I make any changes in the 10 banks of panel memories, with a permanent setting in mind, I save them to ALL PANEL MEMORY on the SD card. The same goes with SOUND MEMORY. Even though one of the defaults in saving includes SOUND MEMORY, I still can’t see how this wouldn’t be a problem bringing up another sequenced song done much later with added sounds used in SOUND MEMORY. I mention this by the possibility of playing live right after playing a sequenced song.

Everyone keeps saying that the SD card loads fast. I am quite aware of this. You tell me how to play live with the LATEST SOUNDS I have created and are supposed to be in my LATEST Panel Memories when I have just played a sequenced song done say, a year ago with old Sound Memory settings that were saved on the sequenced song? I would have to immediately go to my SD card and load a file with ALL PANEL MEMORY, SOUND MEMORY and everything else in that file. Had I not done this, I would not have the latest created sounds – I would have only the old sounds when I did the sequenced number. Yes, the sequenced song would play correctly from the old sound memories that were saved but what about my new additional sounds that I have created? The only way to get them is to load them up from the SD card. Though this may take a few seconds to load, I have to find the file to load it. Anxiously wanting to play live, I CAN’T because I have to be concerned about whether or not the sounds and panel memories are set correctly. It becomes a never-ending battle with having to use the SD card. One could get very paranoid unless they downloaded continually. I’ll discuss FAVORITES later.

John, I do not have a problem with CUSTOM STYLES. The custom styles that I mainly keep in the keyboard are very select and cover most of the music styles that I play so I am not loading CUSTOM STYLES.

I have not had a problem with Panel Memories changing until I tried this CUSTOM PANEL SETTING. From my understanding how this works, I still don’t know why it changed all the Panel Memories in RIGHT2 only. How come it didn’t change RIGHT1 and why were all the changes made to BIG BAND BRASS, which I had not used when I made the setting? No one has addressed this when it was the original question.

Bob H, we have discussed putting styles in COMPOSER and doing a sequenced song from there. There are valid points to doing this and they are: One has a choice of 12 variations versus only 4 variations by using a style from CUSTOM STYLE. What I don’t like about using COMPOSER in this way is because, as we know, it is a temporary file. I personally feel more comfortable with getting my style from a permanent setting in the keyboard, which is CUSTOM STYLE. The keyboard has COMPOSER set up as a default and anything you have put in it is lost as soon as the keyboard is turned off. Yes, when you save the sequenced song, COMPOSER should also be saved but what happens if you don’t save that file – you have nothing but the default playing back to your sequenced song. As many of you know, I am not fond of the styles in the keyboard. I personally can not use them. They are not professionally done to my standards. I work a great deal in COMPOSER and soon as I have done what I set out to do, the work goes into a CUSTOM STYLE file. To me, depending on a temporary file as COMPOSER for a later source in a sequenced song is scary. It certainly is ideal in sending a file to someone because the styles are in COMPOSER and don’t interfere with someone’s CUSTOM STYLES. There are pros and cons in the various ways we use the instrument.

Audrey, you are an old pro at using FAVORITES. I remember your speaking of this in the past. I have never taken the time to figure out how to use this feature. It really sounds ideal. If I remember correctly, the manual doesn't really give an easy step by step on using it.

Rmepstead, I only use SD SONG MEDLEY for listening to a file of songs that I have sequenced. You have lost me on this: “Incidentally I move custom styles as quickly as possible to Memory bank 'A' as Custom Style is liable to be altered by adding other custom styles!!!” I am unsure what you mean by doing this or how to do it.

I think I have responded to all that have responded to this posting. I thank each for your comments. I may be asking some dumb questions so prepare yourselves. I have always been more into playing and composing than learning some of the fine features the keyboard offers. One of the things I don’t have to be concerned with is that I never take music on a job. It’s all in my head and I might add, I have a large repertoire.

All the best,

Scott

#66684 - 03/12/08 03:31 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
Bob Hendershot Offline

My command of the English language is obviously inadequate. Maybe one of you other folks can get through . . .

#66685 - 03/12/08 05:06 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
Audrey Turner Offline

Hi Scott,

I have two thoughts on your predicament:-

1) When these changes occur, it might be worth checking the original settings to see whether the Rt.2 was switched to 'ON'
If so, try switching it 'Off', re-save then do a reload and see if it happens again.

2) As it is so important for your work, if I were you I would save everything to the Music Stylist which as you know cannot be overwritten unless you choose to do so.

When I had my KN6000 because it was an 'iffy' keyboard, I did this everytime I had a 'gig' saving all my tunes and/or their variations to a 'named' designated slot. Once you've loaded the MS page, you then have 80 sets which with the Music Style Arranger 'ON' will instantly change forward or back using the Fill-in 1 or Fill-in 2 buttons, or better still, using a Foot Controller.

I know I keep referring to the SD Favourite Songs but it really makes life that much easier. There are 40 Banks with 9 slots to each, totalling 360 places to save all your settings in any order you wish and if you go to 'SD Preferences', here you can choose how they are shown e.g.

1st-SD Play Priority: SOUND or AUDIO.
2nd-Song Select Method: FOLDER, ALPHABET,
NUMBER or SD-SOUND LOAD.

I hope you soon find a solution to your problem and when you do, would you please post it on this Forum as I, and many others I am sure, would be very interested in how your solved it.

Good luck! - Audrey

#66686 - 03/12/08 06:44 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
nsr007 Offline

Hi Audrey,

Thanks for what you suggested. I am running late but am trying to understand your statement of saving everything to the Music Stylist. Bringing it up on the keyboard, I only see all the various styles, tempos, etc. that are in the keyboard that can be used to play whatever style of music. Keep in mind, I do not use styles in the keyboard. I don’t see where I can save a custom style of mine. From what you said, it seems I can do that. I don’t see anywhere on the pages a place to save a special custom style or any style. Hopefully, you will clear this up for me. I will check further in the manual.

Scott

#66687 - 03/12/08 08:19 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!

Scott, It is important we keep the categories of playing live, “no midi files” and using sequences separate.
One of the hardest lessons I had to learn is in saving all panel memories instead of three. After many hours of perfecting 10 banks and having them just right I saved three instead of all -- I lost all my work, never did that again.
I know this may bring different opinions but using midi files with a Kn7000 or any KN product leaves much to be desired. My opinion is that the KN7000 has been one of the best keyboards if you are playing live. If your are using the keyboard for sequences – it can be done, but it will take a lot of time to get each sequence right and then place it where you can call it up.

Here in south Florida we had a group of seven players who used the Kn7000, they all decided not to use the keyboard for midi files. Why, there are so many other friendly ways to work with midi files. My friend Mike, a sax player downloads the free midi files then recreates them as Technics midi files – and then records them onto a Mimi Disk player. When I find that I want to use a sequence I use my lap top. The Vanbasco program allow me to change the pitch, tempo, volume and cut some of the unwanted channels. It then keeps the changes in memory. Some have added to the lap top to improve the sound, Bernie has a sound improvement and also uses a SD sound module at times – fantastic sound.

There are many pros that use midi players, they are several steps up from the lap top. If I were saving sequences I would save performance each time period.

Why is Yamaha so popular? One of the reasons is that it is very friendly when using midi files. I record a song, put it on my memory stick load the song into the PC and send it out – the keyboard records everything in midi format. When playing a sequence I can mark four places and the keyboard will repeat to those [places – or I can select a section of the song and it will keep repeating it. The midi file players do even more.

I don’t know if I am helping here – The value of the KN7000, in my opinion is live playing. If you do not mind the extensive work to create or edit a free download file then your KN7000 will and can do the job. My friend’s sequences sound so real when he is done with them that the question he gets most often is –Is that a recording? It takes him three to four full days to complete a good midi file/sequence. (In Technics format)

Scott, is any of this helping you?
John C.

#66688 - 03/12/08 08:29 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!

I just reread your Post Scott – Clear your mind and I do not mean that disrespectfully, and listen to Bob. This is not difficult, it may be just different from where you are heading.

Every sequence has certain information/data –When you select Performace when saving you are done.
It saves all the needed data in the sequence. There are occasions when people record a sequences and break some of the general rules, those sequences will always carry problems.

Scott rethink what we are saying -- If I missed something tell me.

John C.

#66689 - 03/13/08 06:11 AM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
RMepstead Offline

Hi Audrey - I didn't know that you could save anything to music stylist - your ref: 'if I were you I would save everything to the Music Stylist'
Rog
p.s. Scott - I'll come back to you when I've got more time...

#66690 - 03/13/08 10:50 AM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
RMepstead Offline

Right now Scott...golly isn't it difficult trying to learn from one another at arms length or in this case several thousand miles of Atlantic Ocean!!!
Your quote:
I still don’t know why it changed all the Panel Memories in RIGHT2 only. How come it didn’t change RIGHT1 and why were all the changes made to BIG BAND BRASS, which I had not used when I made the setting? No one has addressed this when it was the original question.
On the far R/H side of yout KN7000 is a circle containing 3 buttons. Press the one marked 'Customize'. Then select 'Custom Panel Mode' from the screen. 2 choices are offered...panel memory or all panel...page 185 in the manual explains the difference and is no doubt the root of the experience that you went through.
Next - why do I transfer any custom styles to Memory Load bank A...cos custom styles are only resident in your keyboard and found when you press the custom rhythm button; and if someone sends you a new file to try out and it happens to be a series of custom styles then by loading those you effectively wipe out /replace inadvertently your carefully nurtured existing custom files. Once moved to Memory Load Bank A and saved to the SD Card as a tune specific set up then it is always on that SD Card exactly as you want it for playing that number.
However all of this is contrary to the way that you use your KN7000 where to suit your way of doing things you keep sounds seperate from sequences seperate from custom styles. In effect you dip into 3 seperate pots to bring together the latest mix of components to enable you to perform. That's fine - it's just that we are using the operating system in 2 completely different ways to achieve the same end.
Phew...lays back exhausted...Rog

#66691 - 03/13/08 12:09 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
nsr007 Offline

Bob H - It may surprise you, Bob but we are on the same planet and I comprehend your lingo. Cutting to the chase, the only way to safely play live after playing a sequenced song is to load a file that has ALL PANEL MEMORY, SOUND MEMORY, ETC., what I have been trying to avoid having to do – is this to your thinking? The way I have been saving a sequenced song, I don’t have to do this. You are thinking, “Yes, but you have run into a problem.” I ran into this problem by using CUSTOM PANEL for the sounds in RIGHT2 coming up wrongly when sequenced songs are played. It is bad enough that one has to remember to take the INTRO button off and the SEQUENCER button off when playing live. By adding another step of loading from the SD card is a further irritating step, though you and others say it’s easy. It IS easy. The problem is, having to DO IT.

Speaking of the INTRO and SEQUENCER buttons needing turned off, one of the biggest mistakes Technics made was not correcting this through Panel Memory settings. Panel Memory settings should override any previous settings – they do for everything else. We all have experienced the embarrassment (or at least, I have) of starting to play live and have the INTRO and SEQUENCER buttons still on.

Here is a way of playing that you or others might not have considered – I might have a Panel Memory set in Pianist Mode, play and sing 8 bars of a song ad lib, switch to another Panel Memory with a style in tempo, finishing the song. I also might play and sing the 8 bars, press the SEQUENCER button and finish the song.

John C – I do keep separate live performance from sequenced work. I was hoping for a way to not have to load my live settings after I have played a sequenced song. I CAN do this by the way I have been saving a sequenced song. I am being told it is the wrong way to save and dangerous of changes down the line.

I look forward to Audrey’s comments on saving songs to Music Stylist.

ONE FINAL COMMENT – I have never saved or used PERFORMANCE. Since it is not part of the default settings, I just never got around to knowing anything about it. I would appreciate all your thoughts about this as to how it is beneficial.

Thanks,

Scott

#66692 - 03/13/08 12:30 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
nsr007 Offline

Hi Rog,

I just sent the above reply before I read your latest that came in. Thanks for clearing up the Bank A statement. You are talking about what is called RECORDING MEMORY A and not actually, BANK A, which is a Panel Memory - right? You made an interesting point about the CUSTOMIZE button. I will read that section in the manual.

Scott

#66693 - 03/13/08 01:21 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
Bob Hendershot Offline

Scott, as long as you are unable or unwilling to comprehend the basic aspects of using your keyboard you will continue to face unexpected things that you feel are totally wrong. It is not a problem of the keyboard. It is a problem with the method you try to use to play the keyboard.

You still seem to believe that the process of saving your Custom Panel had something to do with a change in other panel memories. As I said in an earlier post, that is impossible unless you also did something else, such as resetting one of the other panel memories with the content of the Custom Panel memory. The difference between the two modes that Roger talked about above is that the Panel Memory mode saves what would normally be in the Panel Memory file and the All Panel mode adds to that, the content of what would normally be in the Current Panel file. The results of either mode would be the same for the problem that you described.

If you had pressed the Custom Panel button, you would see whatever you had saved for that button for the voice selection among other things. At that time the light associated with the Custom Panel button would be lit. If that was the case when you thought your panel memories had changed, you may have seen what you thought was the wrong voice selection. BUT, you said that you edited 14 songs. The instant that you began to edit any of the panel memory buttons, the Custom Panel mode would have been cancelled and suddenly you would have seen the correct voicing. I asked above if you had touched any of the panel memory buttons after you selected the Custom Panel button and I did not get a reply. I also asked where you had stored the 14 songs so that I could understand what you felt needed to be fixed. I did not get a reply.

The more that I read your comments the more I become convinced that your basic problem is that you are unable to place any faith in use of the SD card and you think that stuff that is in the keyboard memory is much safer to use and will not change. Nothing could be further from the truth.

In one of my comments above I talked about most everyone I know using a location in SD memory that they used for live play where they just wanted to play whatever came to mind or where they did not have a specific song setup. I said that a memory location that was easy to remember should be used and that I used SD location 01-01 for that purpose. Surely you can remember a single number that you can select for yourself. ONE MORE TIME FOR POSSIBLE PENETRATION: All you have to do is press the yellow SD button, select LOAD, select LOAD BY NUMBER (if it is not already your default), enter your own special number that you selected and remembered and load your keyboard setup. All of this should take less than five seconds unless you are doing an All Custom load. Your keyboard is now set up for live play in precisely the same configuration that you had when you saved your special setup file. This includes your sound file that you seem so concerned about. It also includes a blank sequencer file so that any lingering file in the sequencer is deleted. It doesn’t matter what you did before or what sequence you may have played. Nothing could have been done to your keyboard that isn’t fixed by that one simple load. If you are an experienced performer you know that the first thing you do when you go on stage is to make eye contact with your audience and make some sort of greeting comment or gesture. While you are doing that, you have more than enough time to load your special setup file. You could go on stage with a new KN7000 that you had never seen before and find all your setups already in the keyboard with that one simple load.

#66694 - 03/13/08 03:56 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!
RMepstead Offline

Hiya Scott
Just to confirm what I was refering to - it is the Memory Load button bottom right of the Rhythm group of buttons which when pressed shows up (A) and (B) and (C) options of sets of 4 variations of styles/rhythms.
Rog
p.s. with regard to all the rest we are talking 2 totally different ways of using the operating system of the KN7000 and realistically they are so far apart that only by standing next to one another each with our own keyboards could each of us comprehend fully what the other is proposing - so fellas may I suggest 'leave it at that, and carry on enjoying playing'
p.p.s. I go from live play to midi to sequenced and then back to live from one song to the next and never does a previous intro or sequenced material overlap.... because I keep each song set-up seperately saved IN FULL - EVERYTHING on my SD Card.
And yet my load time for each new song is less than 2 seconds - absolutely ideal for uptempo stuff when folk are up dancing.

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 03-13-2008).]

#66695 - 03/13/08 06:43 PM Re: CUSTOM PANEL – NEVER AGAIN!!!

Scott,
After reading all that has been written I feel you are heading the wrong way on a one-way street. But--- it is possible that you might come up with some ideas the rest of us never thought of.

I sold a Yamaha Psr2100, Psr3000, Tyros 1 and a Tyros2 because I could not get them to work like a KN7000. I am now cured.

John C.

PS, Scott, This post has gathered a lot of interest and participation and that is good, thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online