SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#65790 - 09/19/03 02:31 AM Hoax email from Microsoft ?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I have just received an email this morning, supposedly from 'MS Corporation Public Services' with a subject 'Last Upgrade'
It has an attached file 'install5.exe'
I suspect that this is either a Virus or a Trojan Horse. I have scanned the file, using my fully up to date Anti Virus software, but it does not show any virus present.
However, on their website, Microsoft state the following:

"Hoax circulating: Microsoft never distributes software through e-mail. If you receive an e-mail message that appears to be from Microsoft and that contains an attachment, delete the message immediately. Do not open the attachment."
I would suggest that you ignore the email and delete it. Remember that even though your virus checker may be up to date, a malware program could be released before the anti-virus program writers are aware of it!

A bit more research reveals that this is the 'I-Worm/Swen' which is classed as Dangerous.

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 09-19-2003).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#65791 - 09/19/03 10:53 AM Re: Hoax email from Microsoft ?
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
WARNING

Bogus Windows Security Update E-mail Bears New Worm

"A new worm taking advantage of Windows users anxious to get their hands on security updates began making the rounds on Thursday, several anti-virus firms confirmed. The worm, which goes by a variety of names -- including Swen, W32/Swen@MM, Gibe, and W32/Gibe-F -- can pose as an e-mail from Microsoft bearing a bogus security update as a file attachment."

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online