SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#6500 - 02/25/02 10:35 PM Synthesizer or Keyboard?
Raziel Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
People I am a long time guitar player and into music for quite long but even dont know the difference between a Keyboard and Synthesizer. Would be glad to have some info on that. I am planning to buy the Quickshot MIDI keyboard for my PC, its about $120. Is it worth that price or can I buy a used Keyboard or a Synth for about 200-250 bux which would do better than that for a beginner?

Please advice on these and also if you know any sites where I can find useful info on keyboards and synths please tell, I ll appreicate.

Thanks guys!

#6501 - 02/26/02 12:46 PM Re: Synthesizer or Keyboard?
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Hmmmmm, keyboard, synth. I'm trying to figure the easiest way to interpret the difference.
Both terms are fairly general. A keyboard is just that, a keyboard that may or may not have editting capabilities. A keyboard can also refer to a controller, which has no sounds associated with it. A synth...I'd have to say the fact that you actually have the ability to create sounds from scratch or with the aid of sampled material, which in turn you can edit or, or modify. To me that's where the true "synth" term would come into play as you are creating a "synthetic" sound, mind you having said that, any electronic device is going to result in a "synthetic" sound...correct??
In a nutshell...what you call it is up to you. What it's capabilities are is what really differentiates "keyboard" from "synth".
Here's another one for ya..."workstation".

There are a lot of good synths/keyboards/workstations...call them what you will, out there. Choose the unit that's right for you. You're gonna read a lot of comments (pro & con) about Roland this, Korg that, Yamaha this, and Alesis that...the list goes on. Just make sure that whatever you decide on is right for YOU. After all, you're the one using it.
Good Luck Raziel....and welcome aboard.

#6502 - 02/26/02 11:08 PM Re: Synthesizer or Keyboard?
Raziel Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Thanks Leon! Nice info as a beginning!

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online