SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#63841 - 09/28/07 11:53 AM KN7000 Screen query?
Peter Lowden Offline

Loc: England
I've just purchased an immaculate KN7000 and it's probably nothing because the screen works fine, but has anyone noticed with their KN7000 if when you hit the power button you get an initial flash of light to the screen, lasting only a split second then it goes black and runs as normal through the various boot displays.

I own two other KN7000's that are permanently sited at venues so no way of checking the screens on them until next week, but I don't recall the initial flash of light as with this Kn7000 that was delivered today.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Peter L

#63842 - 09/28/07 12:24 PM Re: KN7000 Screen query?
technicsplayer Offline

I don't see any flash from a cold boot (say from overnight) but if you have had the keyboard powered and switch off for 30 secs and back on again there is a very faint flash in part of the display (almost not noticeable), before the normal blackness then grey backlight, then intro scrolls etc, and is probably due to some charge remaining in the capacitors and power supply not having leaked away yet. If it's happening from a cold boot I would guess the voltage is just surging through for an instant before the regulators have had a chance to gain control and bring the display up softly after the microprocessor has gone through its' boot routine.

#63843 - 09/28/07 12:41 PM Re: KN7000 Screen query?
Peter Lowden Offline

Loc: England
Many thanks for your explanation of what's happening and why, appreciate that!. I noticed it initially when I first switched on from cold (when the instrument arrived) and on every other switch on since. Like I say i'm not concerned big time about it but I just don't remember it happening with regard my other KN7000's.

Once again, many thanks, least it's put my mind at rest.

Peter L

PS: just in case anyone is looking for a cheap second hand KN7000 here in the UK, during my phone calls to locate one, Eddie Moors of Bounmouth have a average condition instrument for sale for £599, this includes 3 months warranty

#63844 - 09/29/07 12:01 PM Re: KN7000 Screen query?
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Speaking of LCD screens, would you be so kind as to offer an opinion at the General Arranger Forum on this topic.

This may be of some interest to Technics Owners as well.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/016263.html

Thanks

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#63845 - 09/29/07 02:16 PM Re: KN7000 Screen query?
technicsplayer Offline

nothing to add, not worth touching unless it is just a connection or backlight, but a technician might be needed to replace that with the correct bulb type. It is true that with the backlight gone you can still see the display under certain angles of incident light, so you should be able to see eg the sliders moving if the lcd itself is still working.

#63846 - 09/30/07 01:01 PM Re: KN7000 Screen query?
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Thanks Alec,

I only need to find a qualified tech, and to find the correct bulb for the backlight.

############################################

I also wanted to say, that I have appreciated everything you have done for us.
I remember when the KN-7000 first came out, and many owners, including me were totally confused as to SD Cards, SD Audio, SD Sound etc. I personally went from the 3000 to the 7000, a huge leap indeed. Without your help, I would have been lost.

You showed a lot of patience in answering all questions, and explaining in 'easy to understand terms', the nuances of the 7000.
Your knowledge and the tips you provided were what was needed.

All this and coupled with your 'How To' and 'Getting The Most' books, the downloads from Technote, made owning, and playing the Technics KN-7000 an enjoyable experience

I can't think of anymore questions to ask you...you may have answered them all...many more than once.

Again. Thank you my good man. We are grateful.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#63847 - 09/30/07 02:54 PM Re: KN7000 Screen query?
Walt M Offline

Alec,
I'll echo that -- Thanks
Walt Meyer

#63848 - 10/01/07 03:23 AM Re: KN7000 Screen query?
technicsplayer Offline

thanks, Guys

that sounds like a bargain Larry if it's just a backlight. If it's a standard type and you don't need Yamaha spares, even cheaper!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online