SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#62370 - 03/13/02 03:22 PM I haven't LEFT you . . . .
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I just sold my long beloved Technics KN5000 keyboard and shipped it off to its new owner today. As some of you may know, I purchased a Yamaha PSR2000 about 4 months ago, initially as just a backup board to the 5000, but then (surprisingly) started using the 2000 as my principal performing board. The PSR2000 has proven to deliver quality sound and performance at a price less than 1/3 the cost of a new KN6500.

As a long time Technics fan, I certainly have not abandoned Technics (yet). If the new KN7000 lives up to the excitement surrounding its release, and is competitively priced with other brand top arrangers with similar features & sound quality, I'll be the FIRST in line to get one. Unfortunately, here in the USA, Technics arranger keyboards are quite a bit more expensive than in Europe, primarily because of US sales restsrictions (can ONLY be sold in traditional acoustic piano & organ stores, but not at major chain music stores such as Guitar Center or Sam Ash.

Traditional piano stores in the US have the distinct reputation of jacking up Technics KN keyboard prices up from 150 -400 % above their wholesale cost. Maybe they feel they need to do this because they only sell a few pianos a year. This policy may work for them, but certainly not for us, the consumer. I only hope that Technics/Panasonic USA will open up marketing of Technics KN keyboards to include mainstream music stores (Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc) too. That would definitely drop the prices to be more competitively inline with the competition, as well as EXPAND exposure to the Technics line to many MORE musicians out there. Surprisingly, most professional keyboard players I run into never heard of Technics arrangers before seeing me perform on one.

In the meantime, I'm anxiously excited waiting to hear reports and see pics of the 'new' KN7000 from forum members who are attending the Frankfurt Music Fair (Music Messe) this week.

Scott
California, USA
http://scottyee.com

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 03-13-2002).]

#62371 - 03/13/02 06:37 PM Re: I haven't LEFT you . . . .
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
Greetings Technics owners: I am new here, but old in years, and I love to read this forum every day. I continually see this remark about Technics high price in the USA, and must conclude that this K/B's price must vary widely throughout our country. As for me here in Michigan, I bought my KN-6500 for just under the going price here for a PSR-9000. I just could not be any happier with a K/B than I am with this unit, and 34 pounds sure is welcome to this aged Keyboard player. Me thinks many buyers just don't shop around enough, or drive a hard enough bargin when it's time to close the deal. Well, I had my say and I just wanted you to know that the Technics KN-6500 is not neccessarly higher in price than many other top boards, at least in the central midwest of the United States. HUMMMMMMMM--hope I can still say that when the KN-7000 arrives. ARJ

#62372 - 03/13/02 07:16 PM Re: I haven't LEFT you . . . .
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Good to hear from you, Scott. I know you like the size and weight of the PSR2000 and it's impressive bang for the buck. But I suspect you will be unable to resist the KN7000. We'll probably be able to find them for less than $3000 (maybe around $2,500).

You are right for the most part, ARJ. But, it's hard to find a dealer that will offer sensible prices. I live in Tennessee and had to buy my KN5000 from New York to get a reasonable price (which was a little less than half the best price I could get in this area). You just have to shop around.

#62373 - 03/13/02 07:24 PM Re: I haven't LEFT you . . . .
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Arthur,
I agree that negotiating will probably bring the price down, and that the dealer's wholesale cost for a KN keyboard is probably no higher than the competitors arranger KBs. In fact, the dealer cost for most all current top end arrangers today is around $2,000 US dollars. The problem I see is that Technics does NOT publish any kind of official 'list price' for their KN KBs as the other brands do. As a result, I've seen Technics dealers put price tags on their KN6500 KBs with prices as astronomical as $6,500 US dollars, and then tell you what a great deal they will offer you ($4,000), but only if you buy 'today'. I think Technics USA needs to take the lead to stop this type of pracitice. They should start by providing an official list price for their keyboards as Yamaha, Roland, and Korg do. Of course the list price is typically higher than anyway would pay, but at least it gives the dealers a fair standardized price to negotitate from, and prevent dealers from posting 'pie in the sky' price tags which prey on innocent people who may not be as buyer savy as we are. I guess I may be purchasing my KN7000 from Michigan.

Arthur, btw: MANY thanks for sending me the pics of your keyboard setup. Looks great.

- Scott

#62374 - 03/13/02 08:49 PM Re: I haven't LEFT you . . . .
Dan Hanson Offline

Loc: Sumterville, Fl. USA
The dealer I have been getting Technics from for years tells me the price for a 7000 in his store here in central Florida will be $5000. If I can't do better than that, looks like I'll have to just keep my 6000.

#62375 - 03/13/02 11:01 PM Re: I haven't LEFT you . . . .
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
To early to try to predict the prices, and I think that Technics are going to follow other "top line" keyboard brands prices closely if they shall be able to compete in the market.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#62376 - 03/14/02 06:31 AM Re: I haven't LEFT you . . . .
Walt Tenay Offline

Loc: Rutherfordton, NC
Hi Scottyee,

Sorry to learn that you are now only a one owner keyboard and alas have no back up in the event your Yamaha PSR 2000 stops working. Fortunately for you a replacement more easier to buy than a new KN6500. I dont want to get into the fair price controversy at this time but wanted you to have an understanding of why the Technics keyboards will not be offered in the pro shops such as Sam Ash, Musician Friend etc. I have no direct knowledge of Technics marketing plans but speaking strickly as a retailer for over 20 years selling many different types of keyboards and organs, here is some information you might find iteresting.

Technics keyboard lines were never marketed as
arranger keyboards. I think that term got picked up by the pro playing out and being
compared to the work station keyboards that
are on the pro side once he started using a
Technics

Technics has only one dividison in the musical instuments and that is the home line of ogans, digital pianos and keyboards.

The keyboard was initially developed as an extention of their organ line organ so owners could have a portable instrument to take with them when traveling etc.

Technics's organ line was very popular as all other brands and more organs were sold in Florida than all the rest of the US put
together for 12-15 years in a row. Although
this has changed as the home organ business
has declined with all major brands.

Unlike all the others (boo hiss hiss) Roland,
Yamaha, Kawai, Korg, etc had two division,
the home and the pro. Kurzweil has no home
line if I remember correctly and I think Korg being the more recent to join the home lines.

Each division markets their products acordingly thus having the pro lines offered in the Sam Ash, Musician Friend etc, and those offered in the chain stores like Best Buy,
Circuit City (yamaha low low end series)

Lucky for us Technics keyboard line became popular by accident more than planning. Many of the features are of a work station nature giving us the ability to do so many things as compared to the pro side but allowing the beginner and intermediate player to accomplish and polish their playing skills and have
fun while doing it.

I too have run into many questions by pro
while I am out performing about Technics.
All they know is that Technics makes turntables, and stero equipment.

Until the marketing of Technics division sees
the light - these units will only be ofrfered
in the traditional organ/piano store.
I hope you will become a new KN7000 owner. However no reason why you cant shop around
for the best price!!! Shame on you if you dont

Regards, Walt

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I just sold my long beloved Technics KN5000 keyboard and shipped it off to its new owner today. As some of you may know, I purchased a Yamaha PSR2000 about 4 months ago, initially as just a backup board to the 5000, but then (surprisingly) started using the 2000 as my principal performing board. The PSR2000 has proven to deliver quality sound and performance at a price less than 1/3 the cost of a new KN6500.

As a long time Technics fan, I certainly have not abandoned Technics (yet). If the new KN7000 lives up to the excitement surrounding its release, and is competitively priced with other brand top arrangers with similar features & sound quality, I'll be the FIRST in line to get one. Unfortunately, here in the USA, Technics arranger keyboards are quite a bit more expensive than in Europe, primarily because of US sales restsrictions (can ONLY be sold in traditional acoustic piano & organ stores, but not at major chain music stores such as Guitar Center or Sam Ash.

Traditional piano stores in the US have the distinct reputation of jacking up Technics KN keyboard prices up from 150 -400 % above their wholesale cost. Maybe they feel they need to do this because they only sell a few pianos a year. This policy may work for them, but certainly not for us, the consumer. I only hope that Technics/Panasonic USA will open up marketing of Technics KN keyboards to include mainstream music stores (Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc) too. That would definitely drop the prices to be more competitively inline with the competition, as well as EXPAND exposure to the Technics line to many MORE musicians out there. Surprisingly, most professional keyboard players I run into never heard of Technics arrangers before seeing me perform on one.

In the meantime, I'm anxiously excited waiting to hear reports and see pics of the 'new' KN7000 from forum members who are attending the Frankfurt Music Fair (Music Messe) this week.

Scott
California, USA
http://scottyee.com

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 03-13-2002).]

#62377 - 03/14/02 07:09 AM Re: I haven't LEFT you . . . .
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Great Post Walt, and thank you for sharing your expertise from the retail side with us. To those that don't know, Walt is widely known as a Musical Instrument Dealer, including Technics, and one of the most honest and fairest of the many. He stands behind what he sells even what it is not easy or popular. I have always been a businessman myself and I have the highest regard for his business principals.
A word of advice for anyone that is considering paying $5, to 6,000.00 for a $3,000.00 keyboard. DON"T!!!! Go shopping. Be aware that freight on keyboards is CHEAP, as in 40.00 or so USA border to border, in comparison to a local dealer that thinks you are captive and fair game to legitimately steal from.
BEBOP

#62378 - 03/14/02 07:52 AM Re: I haven't LEFT you . . . .
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
These prices on kbds amaze me ..... I paid just under 3Gs for my kn6 out of CT ... I didn't think it was cheap, but I didn't pay 5Gs .......
t.

#62379 - 03/14/02 07:54 AM Re: I haven't LEFT you . . . .
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
ooooops ...... to my kb playing friends in other lands... 3Gs = $3000 US .....
t.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online