SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#60985 - 06/01/05 06:11 PM Struggling with the type of music I play
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I had good intentions when I said I would start a teaching post on the forum. Since then I have committed to making a changeover in the type of music that is needed to play the jobs that I play.

Creating a new repertoire is one big job, I?m doing it reluctantly, I love the older music. Big Band, Latin, Polkas, Nice Ballads and all that goes with that era. This happened to me back in the 60?s and 70?s in New York, that?s why I moved to Florida, I was able to continue playing the music I love. Here in Southeast other than nursing homes there is very little demand for the older music. Even the condos have changed their preference.

In the changeover I am using Midi Files ? I sing --- and I may also use Guitar --- Wow, it sounds like I am back in New York again. Maybe it's time to quit.

I am open to any thoughts -- Are any of you struggling with the same problem?

Puzzled, John C

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 06-01-2005).]

#60986 - 06/01/05 08:20 PM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
JOHN C.... Play what you love & enjoy all that you do...For me there is nothing else to be & nohing else to do!

No attempt I have ever made to conform to what others APPEAR to want has ever pleased myself or those others. Some times the challenge has been my interpretation & sometimes it has been the explanations of those others about what they wanted me to do.

I play the music I love & enjoy playing... Like you, I also play BB, Jazz, Polkas, Waltzes, Latin rhythms...all the oldies & goodies from the late 1800's through the 70's.... My audiences seem to like it well enough to want more of the same...

Life for me is about sharing what I love...it is NOT about struggling with anything or coping with "problems."

These are my thoughts....Maybe you will find something here that will encourage you to just be yourself moment by moment & enjoy all that you do...

ELIZABETH

#60987 - 06/02/05 01:08 AM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Hi there John
On reading your posting I would ask yourself the following questions.

1. Do you really want to play a different type of music.

2. Can you give it your best to play it

3. Will it satisfy you?

4. Do you need the money or is it perhaps the buzz of playing to a live audience?

5. Is it becoming a pain rather than a joy to play this different style of music?

If the answers to the above are more NOs than Yes, then you have your answer.

We each play and enjoy the type of music that we prefer, because of this we can add that extra feeling to it that comes across in the music.

You know John - you already know this yourself!!! You are at an age when life is precious and should be about enjoying yourself and smelling the roses not worrying about a change of direction unless it is absolutely necessary - Is it? Joan

#60988 - 06/02/05 01:16 AM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hi John
Maybe you should become an impresario and 'manage' others who's younger talents are more suited to today's market demands...
Best wishes
Rog
Or would you like me to pop over and set you up with rhythms and sheet music for the later genre - that'd be a challenge wouldn't it, eh...

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 06-02-2005).]

#60989 - 06/02/05 02:27 AM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play

Or would you like me to pop over and set you up with rhythms and sheet music for the later genre - that'd be a challenge wouldn't it, eh...
Rog

Now there's a beautiful thought Rog, you could stay and you and I would make a great duo.
ha ha ha Hmmm1
I still enjoy the way you play Beatle Music

You know John - you already know this yourself!!! You are at an age when life is precious and should be about enjoying yourself and smelling the roses not worrying about a change of direction unless it is absolutely necessary - Is it? Joan

A bit of wisdom from over there. Joan, there are times when one loses their direction, and you are so right. I have been so taught to do what I must, to do what is needed that I negelect the most important issue, me. Thank You.

John C.

#60990 - 06/02/05 02:32 AM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play

Quote:
Originally posted by Joan:
Hi there John
On reading your posting I would ask yourself the following questions.

1. Do you really want to play a different type of music.

2. Can you give it your best to play it

3. Will it satisfy you?

4. Do you need the money or is it perhaps the buzz of playing to a live audience?

5. Is it becoming a pain rather than a joy to play this different style of music?

If the answers to the above are more NOs than Yes, then you have your answer.

We each play and enjoy the type of music that we prefer, because of this we can add that extra feeling to it that comes across in the music.

Joan, 1-No 2- No 3-No 4-No 5-No
I've had to deal with not smelling the roses one than once in my life, I guess I just need to hear it from time to time. You're good Joan, thanks.

John C.

#60991 - 06/02/05 02:40 AM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi John
I am going through the same thing.It is easy enough for me to modernize.In fact many times I prefer it. To put this in context,I am speaking of moving up to the 50's to 80's from 20's to 40's.

I have played nursing homes and senior dances where the former is always appreciated. I have played lodges and other venues where you can't give them a steady diet of bigband,ballroom,etc.I thought about this a long time,and concluded that to stay in the mainstream at all,I cannot keep playing the same music I did 40 years ago,although the irony is I played cover songs then that were newer than I play now. The reason is I was playing lounges for a living.

I am going to keep the old,but,also join the 50 and 60 yr olds. Afterall,I remember when that was old as dirt. Look at our British friends,Bill and Rog.I thought their music was refreshing at the Jam

Good post,John

#60992 - 06/02/05 03:08 AM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play
RMepstead Offline

Well done Joan - you've put your finger right on the spot(s)...
For me the most important thing is the buzz of playing to a live audience and having them respond because I've got it right for them...
Therefore I play anything that I've heard and like right up to the present day (although I find that I'm increasingly rejecting more and more of the very latest stuff - rap etc) but singers like Coldplay - Clocks; Katie Melua - Closest thing to crazy; and Gabrielle - Rise are just superb examples of beautiful melodic harmonic sounds that still make the hairs on my head stand on end, and I want to play them well to a live and receptive audience. So I guess the psychologists would tell me that it's recognition that I'm after...
Is that how both you John's feel?
Rog

#60993 - 06/02/05 11:04 AM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
First of all..play what you want to play,and find the audience that will enjoy the same music...

That being said, we are losing the audience that relates to the 20's to 40's music...in general..It doesn't mean we can't play the super well known songs from that era...for example Gershwin,Porter,Kerns etc...
My personal preferrences...Late 30's[songs from film hits]...Bigband from the 40's, and I definately add the 50's[great hits in this era], I also like to play the 60's tapering off after the mid sixties[Humperdink and Elvis are covered as are Bobby Vinton,Vee and Rydell...
If we can't keep an audience with this material..send them to the Karaoke bar..

Naturally we need to have a few of the Disco/dance hits of the 70's and some Motown from late sixties.. throw in some novelty dance tunes from the eighties...and you've got it...Forget the 90's and newer[that's 1990's..]..

#60994 - 06/02/05 11:53 AM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play

I am using a Tyros to play a job this weekend, I feel it sounds better for music form the 50's to the 80's. The midi file system is very friendly. I feel Yamaha has set it's market in these two areas.
My set-up
1-In the regestration menory I have the music that I have been playing.
2-In the song section I have all the Midi files.
3-On my laptop I have all my lyrics, sheet music and some audio files like Electric slide.
4-I have all my midi files on my laptop also. The sound is not as good as the keyboard but oh wow ease using the Van basco program.

This is a trial for me, I'll know better next week.

John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 06-02-2005).]

#60995 - 06/02/05 04:11 PM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
When I and a friend started our Keyboard Club, I was surprised to be criticised for playing "favourites" my way. Apparently, I was not keeping the beat, I was not using the correct style/backing and was using some "peculiar" (their word not mine) sounds as well.

My answer to them was, you can have several people all admiring the same picture but each will see different aspects of it. Some will like it some will loathe it and some will be indifferent and that is how it is with music.

When I buy a new music book/sheet, one of the pleasures for me is to pick a song and go through my styles on my KN7000 - it is amazing how many styles suit a particular piece of music.

I also do this when playing a 'gig' I surprise my audience by playing a popular song to a an unusual rhythm. Again, it is surprising how many people will say "that's sounds good, I never thought of using a Latin rhythm" or whatever.

I must be doing something right because I keep getting repeat 'gigs' so as Elizabeth said in her posting, enjoy your music, if someone doesn't like it - tough! You cannot please everybody all of the time.

Good luck!

Aud (U.K.)

#60996 - 06/02/05 06:31 PM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play
etwo4788 Offline

AUDREY.....I want to be in your KB Club! Where do I sign up!

Isn't there a song entitled "Versatility"???

ELIZABETH

#60997 - 06/03/05 02:15 AM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play
Bernie9 Offline

John C
I run my laptop through an Echo"Indigo" card that slips into the pmcia(?)slot. The sound for MIDI playback is equal to the 7000 GM sounds. Sometimes better.

Bernie

#60998 - 06/03/05 08:19 AM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play
etwo4788 Offline

AUDREY....What I mean is that I support your conclusions! Not sure that is clear in my previous post...

Music is about enjoyment for all who hear it...including the players!

ELIZABETH

#60999 - 06/04/05 02:40 AM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hey John

Have fun on your gig.

Last night I played for an anniversary. It was fun to play the old goodies for the older crowd, but, songs like In The Mood will get all ages out there for sure.

After awhile I think you will find it super easy to transfer your midi files to your Tyros and also very easy to operate. And the sound is quite good as I think you have found.

If you get a chance play "In Heaven There Is No Beer" All ages should like that masterpiece, huh? haha

Scott

#61000 - 06/08/05 03:20 AM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play

I played a job using my Tyros this past Saturday, it is the first time I have not used a Kn keyboard to play a larger job. New keyboard and an amended repertoire, less big band, more rock. I am using the word rock as any song that has a rock flavor from the 50?s on.

1-Started with background music, they were still eating.
2- I played enjoyable music but no rock.
3-Dinner is over, opened with a sing-a-long, then New York New York, Leroy Brown, and YMCA.
4-Now I entered the strange (to me) world of midi files. Pushed a button and I started singing. At one point I muted the right and left hand of the keyboard and caressed the keys while I was singing. Aaaah!
5-Next was the Audio files, Electric Slide, Pretty Woman ? ect.

The job was a success, they were pleased and I got a $25 tip.

It was not s bad as I thought it might be, in fact it was a much easier job. Not as rewarding. I am now a keyboard player, a DJ, and a karoake Guy. Hmmm

Life is interesting, John

#61001 - 06/08/05 03:28 AM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play
RMepstead Offline

Hiya John - I can sense the relief...
But, how do you feel about playing this comparatively easy stuff compared to what you have been doing?
Rog

#61002 - 06/08/05 03:36 AM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play
RMepstead Offline

and what's all this with using midi files - these more modern songs are easy to play given the right rhythm/style files...
Rog

#61003 - 06/08/05 06:54 AM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:
... I am now a keyboard player, a DJ, and a karoake Guy. Hmmm
Life is interesting, John

IMHO: First and foremost we are entertainers ... We get hired, and paid (hopefully ) to ENTERTAIN... How we do that is by individual preference, taking into consideration the desires of the client... Many of us used to work in a band with other musicians and relied on their support to entertain the client, but the economics don't allow for much of that now ... so we now still rely on other 'musicians, or 'music makers', but they are not physically with us on stage ... they are the style makers, the midi file makers, the mp3 recorders, whatever ... As Dylan said "The times they are a changin' ..." and they will continue to do so ... if we want to continue to feed our pockets, and just as importantly, our EGOS, we must change with them ...

I can find enough enjoyment in 'pleasing the crowd' by playing THEIR music, and then find the time to please myself, playing MY music ...

Do whatever it takes, but just keep making music ...
t.

#61004 - 06/08/05 11:30 AM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play
Bernie9 Offline

Well said,Tony
I would like to add that,for the purist's edification,playing midis does not mean all the time,and, it does not mean turning on the midi and pretending to play.

I use them when the style is custom made for the song,and much more identifiable than a generic style. Furthermore, I tweek the instruments,and mute parts so I am playing the melody and,manytimes,embellishing with my left hand.

From a musicians point of view,I think midis can be abused,but they certainly have a place in today's entertainment.
Bernie

#61005 - 06/09/05 03:44 AM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play
RMepstead Offline

'I use them when the style is custom made for the song'
That's exactly my point Bernie - there are loads and loads of style files that enable real live playing which are custom made for the song (many many songs in fact) - and even Midis can be converted into style files so that you can actually play the song live with both hands...
A midi is useful when you are playing another instrument at the same time - otherwise you tend to run out of hands (and feet!)
Rog

#61006 - 06/09/05 11:23 AM Re: Struggling with the type of music I play
Bernie9 Offline

Hi Rog
I prefer using styles,myself,for a couple of reasons. One has more flexability for one thing.If one is playing backup to a vocalist,or if there is any need to pause.
The second reason is pure ego. I like to play as much of the song as possible to lend some degree of personal authenticity.

Having said that, I also want to bring as much recognizable elements to the song,including proper instrumentation and,above all,a beat and accompaniment as close to the original as possible.

Unfortunately,unlike yourself, I don't own EMC software to convert the good Yamaha styles. I,also,do not possess the skill,or the patience to make my own. Therefore,sometimes there is a tradoff.

Cheers
Bernie aka/Cheeky Boy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online