SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#60300 - 01/14/05 07:31 PM The Music Played On . . . . .
Khai Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Dear All,

Thank you for your acknowledgements. If there are some members who wish to send me new or existing materials to listen and/or comment, please make sure that no single file is larger than 10 megabytes. Feel free to include any explanatory notes or essays.

For those of you whose music has just been commented by me, or who intend to take up my offer and send me some of your music, I thought it might help even further if I explain just a little how I listen and review the music played.

I generally make no distinction between live playing, live playing with some post-editing, and the purely sequenced using step edit. It is purely a function or requirement of taste, convenience, the playability of a musical passage and/or the individual's playing skill. Some figurations or gestures just sound unconvincing when played live, such as a cymbal roll, an extremely fast passage, a pointilistic effect, and arpeggios with notes widely spaced between them. By all means, you could alert me to how certain features or passages are achieved.

Generally, I make no difference between styles, sounds and automatic accompaniments that are pre-existing and those that are created anew. However, I do look for artistic elements concerning forms, changes, developments, transitions, variations, surprises, originality, unusual combinations/uses of materials, interpretations, transformations and fusions.

Notice that I have not mentioned anything about tempi, rhythms, genres, length of a piece, and other fundamental aspects of a piece of music ---- they are simply not as important, as long as they do not detract from the presentation of your music and your intention(s) in/for the music.

Keep the creative juice flowing!

Khai

[This message has been edited by Khai (edited 01-15-2005).]

#60301 - 01/15/05 11:03 AM Re: The Music Played On . . . . .
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HELLO KHAI,
I have sent you all the songs that I received in December plus a large zip file of all my Christmas Midi files.
In the event (not likely), that your thank you was not delivered to me, I am wondering why. YOU seem to have a great deal to say about everything, that surely takes up a lot of your time and efforts. A thank you by comparison is only two words, and would only take you a fraction of the time.
The purpose of this post attached to yours is to suggest that now you have heard our music and we have been exposed to your awesome expertise on nearly everything, then perhaps you would now like to share your music with us.
Feel free to email the zipped attachement of your music and I will be pleased to send it out on my distributions system.
My emails lists are not a one way street. The people remain on my lists and continue to receive the mailings by sending a simple thank you to those that contribute and then by contributing something themselves. Those whom are only takers and not givers are soon gone
Best to you and yours,
Bebop

#60302 - 01/15/05 04:11 PM Re: The Music Played On . . . . .
Khai Offline

Dear BEBOP,

I have taken a lot of time reading, responding and posting to members in the Synth Zone, as well as to their emails. (There are nine emails sent to you alone in the very short time since I became a member about ten days ago.) Many of these different correspondences and emails contain words conveying my gratitude, enthusiasm, reflection, insight, etc. etc., often presented in flowing, synergistic ways. Altogether, they have gone much further than just a simple "thank you", which, I also hope, is not the only criterion by which you judge a person's worth and character.

I also regularly deal with a large volume of music, information and writings that concern many different fields and disciplines, many of which are not even related to music. All of these take time. Family duties, work, helping friends and other commitments also share the rest of my waking hours. I was still up after three in the morning (as Bill Norrie probably knows, for I was still sending him emails at those dream hours), and as I am writing this sentence, it is not even ten o'clock on a Sunday morning here in Brisbane. I hope that you do realise that making this offer to listen attentively to members' musical pieces, reading their notes or essays about their submissions, and thinking/commenting/reviewing intelligently and fairly are EXTRA commitments on my part, as much as it provides or contributes to a new form of interaction to members at the Synth Zone. Realistically speaking, this provision or contribution cannot even be properly compared to a simple "thank you", which "would only take you a fraction of the time", as you indicated. Should I find time and energy to be too scarce, it might all become impossible to sustain.

All of these also mean that I have little time in recent years to make or record my own music, a situation very much like that of the music teacher, composer and family man, Mr Holland, as played by Richard Dreyfuss in the movie. I will send some of my music to BEBOP when I have sufficient time to organise and choose them from my collection, which I have neglected. I may even plan a quiz for members to guess what instrument each piece was done on and how. A friend of mine who is an amazing pianist is planning to collaborate with me on recording a CD for a commercial release of my three piano sonatas, which are fiendishly difficult to play. A lot of my pieces are also notated as scores.

Khai

[This message has been edited by Khai (edited 01-15-2005).]

#60303 - 01/16/05 01:55 PM Re: The Music Played On . . . . .
Anonymous
Unregistered

You should be ashamed of yourself. Bebop is without doubt a stalwart on Synth zone.
He is a talented and experienced good man. His tireless work when moderator for S/Zone. Is impeccable. His endless work, sending out emails to people who really need a person like him to light up their day, lonely people who find solace in his humour.

No one agrees with everyone all of the time! That is fact.
Everyone has the right to an opinion, and everyone has the right to be silly. You would seem to be abusing the right of being silly.

It seems quite obvious you learn a new word or phrase each day, to use in your verbal Diarrhoea .that can be a good thing, but if sticks in your head could be a bad thing.

I will give you a few words to add to your vocabulary. Learn them and be a better person for it. One day at a time dear Jesus. The lady sang.

Monday “I’m sorry I was wrong” say this to the people you have proved you wrong.
Tuesday “Thank you” say this to the people who have helped you.
Wednesday. Have a day off give people a break.
Thursday Reflect on, Monday – Tuesday and Wednesday.
Friday Say ten Hail Mary’s.
Saturday Say ten Our Fathers.
Sunday Re-write the Ten Commandments.
Whist you have nothing to do on Wednesday. Just walk on water.

If you are offended by this, then so be it! I am returning to you what you have given to others.

If your mouth is proportionate to the rest of your body, you would be 20 metres tall.

Don’t bother to counter with.” If your brain was proportionate to your body. You would be a Midget. After 53 years on stage, as a performer, I have heard it all, yes 53 years is a long time, and I am pretty long in the tooth, but I am still working. You give yourself many bouquets. But nothing you say makes sense. you travel in circles. You say you neglect your music recording, that you have no time to record any music, but when you do get time the music you record will be fiendishly difficult to play. Is that meant to impress.
Are you not aware that on site we have Session Musicians? I included, if you are not
Sure what a session musician is!. It is a person who sight reads fiendishly difficult music, and is expected to be spot on, by the people who are paying, that is the case when you are being paid for playing. and playing with five sax’s.means all five have to read together. if not,
You will not be asked to play again. To a session musician fiendish is “Oh I will have to Concentrate”. Do you have anything to say besides I am the greatest. You have not actually said that, but the implications you post speak very loud. Double Forte. at least.
I have been to Brisbane and spent time there playing Rugby League football.
The Aussies are a tough race, but great people, friendly people. I wonder how you fit in with them!.
Have a nice day.

#60304 - 01/16/05 02:52 PM Re: The Music Played On . . . . .
Bazz Woods Offline

Loc: British Isles
Joe,

Forget it,your only taking the bait.
Come on over to Belfast and sit in
with the band.
Two of which own their recording studios.
Two of which play with the Ulster Orchestra.
Others are Television composers,Jingle writers,etc and Ive told them all about Khai,
but sorry Ill have to email you the response.

Only joking Khai,
Maybe you dont mean to offend?

Cheers Barry

#60305 - 01/16/05 03:05 PM Re: The Music Played On . . . . .
Khai Offline

Dear Phil Lynch,

I hope that you are not really chastising me for thinking that I have not written "thank you" to Bebop. I did use those words freely, as I already indicated earlier. At the same time, I would hope that I have done more than just that --- which is one of the central issues in my previous posting in this thread.

There is nothing to be ashamed about writing to clarify our thoughts and positions. Should you think otherwise, then all three of us (Bebop, you and I) are equally or similarly guity in this thread (and elsewhere).

Why are you making an issue of session players? I was simply reporting what my friend and I are planning to do. There is nothing in my previous posting that serves to put any person down, or to air my superiority. In fact, I admitted aplenty of my own limitations in time and energy to do many things that I would like to ---- things that I may/would/did ignore, neglect or postpone, for better or worse. There was no need for you to defend BEBOP in the first place.

I thank you for your good advice and hope that you do realise that there are misunderstandings on your part here. I would like to believe that you prefer understanding to typecasting people, even though the former takes more time and patience, and requires the suspension or reassessment of initial judgements or vilifications.

Khai

[This message has been edited by Khai (edited 01-16-2005).]

#60306 - 01/16/05 03:19 PM Re: The Music Played On . . . . .
Khai Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bazz Woods:
Joe,

Forget it,your only taking the bait.
Come on over to Belfast and sit in
with the band.
Two of which own their recording studios.
Two of which play with the Ulster Orchestra.
Others are Television composers,Jingle writers,etc and Ive told them all about Khai,
but sorry Ill have to email you the response.

Only joking Khai,
Maybe you dont mean to offend?

Cheers Barry

Dear Barry,

You and I know that we can't please everyone, despite our best effort(s) and/or intention(s). Misunderstanding aside, feelings can easily become fragile and frayed for some people. But, we should keep hoping and looking for the best in our fellow beings, should we not? Sigh!

Khai

#60307 - 01/16/05 03:29 PM Re: The Music Played On . . . . .
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Khia.
if it's a second opinion your looking for.
Your ugly as well.

#60308 - 01/16/05 03:37 PM Re: The Music Played On . . . . .
Khai Offline

Speak for yourself, Phil.

Thank you!

[This message has been edited by Khai (edited 01-16-2005).]

#60309 - 01/16/05 03:55 PM Re: The Music Played On . . . . .
Bazz Woods Offline

Loc: British Isles
Khai,

A four word post wow!!!!!.
Congratulations.

This will be my last response to your posts.

Good Luck and Happy New Year for 2006

Cheers Barry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online