SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#57620 - 12/11/03 11:52 AM Have yourself a merry little Xmas arrangement
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hello everyone! I need your help--AGAIN! I think I have finally figured out all the chords (by ear) for the lovely "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and I have been playing it on my 7000, using the great Christmas rhythm/sound patterns that have been sent to me by several of you. However, I am a total ignoramus at setting up combinations of orchestrations for R1, R2 and left hand that work well together and produce a combination of instrumentations that are truly appropriate for the song. I have used piano, strings, and other instruments from the pattern board, but I still am not happy with them. Because the rhythms I am using are custom/memory ones, there is no one-step button to press that sets the keyboard up, as you can do for so many of the internal rhythm patterns on the 7000. So, I am appealing to you great orchestrators here for help, so that I can set up several panel memories appropriate to that lovely song. (By the way, how does one learn what combinations of sounds go together to make a great arrangement? I suppose there is no easy answer to this question!) Anyway, thanks to all of you, and may I take this opportunity to wish you one and all: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas!!!

Hugs,

TED

#57621 - 12/11/03 12:25 PM Re: Have yourself a merry little Xmas arrangement
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Ted,
I'm not terribly good with panel setups either,so I normally browse through the sound setups for the onboard styles and find ones that sounds okay, then do minor adjustments.
I created some sounds and panel memories for my "silent night " waltz style. They sort of sound a bit xmassy (haahaa) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kn7000styles/files/Rikki%27s%20Styles/

Hopefully some of the members will share their expertise on how to go about it.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ted Rose:
[

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#57622 - 12/11/03 11:52 PM Re: Have yourself a merry little Xmas arrangement
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Hi Ted,
Your inquiry about “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” came just at the right time. My Santa’s workshop has been going full blast and I was looking for a break. While I’ve played the song many times, I’ve never worked out an arrangement. I think I may have the same Technics Christmas style that you have. It’s quite nice, but very busy. I decided to just use the forth variation and only use a few parts at a time in this quick midnight arrangement.

The sequence of registrations is: Vibes, Choir, Woodwinds, Horns with String and Big Fat Strings. The steady rhythm is like a sleigh ride with bells moving in and out of the song. While the variation in the styles of most arrangements tend to be changed at the beginning of a new phrase, if the new variation has a strong counter melody I like to make the change in the second or third measure of the phrase. This helps to take away the predictability of arranger keyboards that people frequently criticize and is more typical of a regular orchestral arrangement.

I’ve e-mailed the file to you along with all the errors. My wishes for A Merry Little Christmas to you and all the Zoners.
Frank

#57623 - 12/12/03 03:01 AM Re: Have yourself a merry little Xmas arrangement
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Ted,

I too have emailed you an arrangement that I quite like - starting with a Christmas style, then changing to a light Movie and Show style and finishing up back in the Christmas style.

Regards,
Mike

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online