SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#56502 - 10/18/02 02:46 AM Re: What is a Long File Name?
technicsplayer Offline

Scott, you may have read the thread, but like Bob, you haven't tried the program. Since you are sure he would have tried every option I fail to see how you can be so sure of this if he hasn't tried the one program that fulfils his main requirement...

Bob applies the common tactic of continually shifting the argument when unable to point to any statement that is not factual. Unfortunately for him, I can point to his statements where he's clearly got it wrong. I don't need to try and boast about my knowledge or experience to further my points.

#56503 - 10/18/02 08:34 AM Re: What is a Long File Name?
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Who said you just can't talk the talk you must walk the walk or something like that?

Grandpa Doug

#56504 - 10/18/02 11:36 AM Re: What is a Long File Name?
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Gleaned from the general forum. (Well mostly general anyway)

Scottyee
Member posted 10-10-2002 09:48 PM            
------------------------------------------------------------------------
WONDERFUL NEWS! I just received word from a friend (in France) who who actually already owns a Yamaha Tyros . . . probably one of the first ones released. He tried out the Left Voice 'freeze procedure' which I outlined above, and confirmed that it works on the Tyros the SAME way it works on my PSR2000 and Denny's 9000pro. I'm going to bed tonight with a SMILE on my face. I'm sure you all know what keyboard I'm purchasing now.

The fickle finger of fate! An old saying I have heard used many times and for many reasons. Fickle is a nice word that deserves some time set aside for meditation. The finger is used for a number of things and meanings also, and deserves a little time for musing.

Quote: ‘Until I'm assured, I won't even consider upgrading to the KN7000. If assured you would consider upgrading’???? Fickle, fickle, fickle! If, If, If! If cost of---I would. If vocalizer--- I would. Disappointed in---! And now until I’m assured I wont! The only thing you and me and the rest of us are sure of is, as you state above, you have a smile on your face and your sure we all know what keyboard you are purchasing now. Fickle, fickle! If assured you might? In musing over the word finger maybe that's what we know we are really getting.

Grandpa Doug

#56505 - 10/18/02 12:01 PM Re: What is a Long File Name?
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Hi Scott,

Alec is right about the transfer program. I had already transferred almost all of my files to the SD card when the program became available and I have since finished that process. The program was just too late for me. That doesn't mean that it doesn't work. It just wasn't right for me. I am sure that I would have tried it if it were available when I needed it. I would want to ask questions about the ability to be selective about what I moved from the hard drive to be sure that I wasn’t trying to move more than the SD card could hold, and that sort of thing.

As for the sales hype, I am still angry at myself for believing some of the stuff I heard. A few choice terms strategically used like "drag and drop", "long file names" "SD cards" and USB lead a person to believe that you could handle KN7000 files like you can other files with the Windows Explorer. You cannot. I made a lot of blunders and wasted a lot of time in the first few days of owning the KN7000 because of these things. I thought my old mind was getting to old to cope with new stuff until the emails started coming in from people wanting help on a keyboard that I had just begun to use. They were also confused. I felt compelled to let others know of the limitations that I had found. This does not mean to imply that the KN7000 is not a great keyboard. It is. It is the right keyboard for me. It may or may not be the right keyboard for you. You will miss the ability to edit your files at your computer keyboard. There are no file load scripts to set up your gigs. You can set up “favorite songs”. You can’t move files at your computer like you could with your Tech Manager program. You can’t print a cross reference of the numeric file names and song setup string names like you could with the Tech Manager so that you could see where song setups were located. All of these things are certainly possible, but they are not available now.

#56506 - 10/18/02 04:20 PM Re: What is a Long File Name?
technicsplayer Offline

you can backup any files you choose into a backup file on the pc with the program, Bob. That backup can be in arranged in folder or alpha order, keeping the file structure or using all adjacent spaces and set to the size of a specific card. Smaller backups can be effectively merged as I describe in another post.

The features you miss were never provided with a previous keyboard, Bob, they came with an expensive add-on hard disk, and then with further expenditure on a techmanager program which was used by a very small minority of owners. I don't recall any indication anywhere that all of these features would be provided once the product and software had actually been seen. The favorites are now 40 banks of 9 songs each for each SD card, this apes the custom load lists for your gigs. Midis have 99 editable playlists, each with a possible 99 songs from a max of 999 songs. Audio playlists too through the card reader. SD works with long file names that can be loaded, saved, backed up, restored and merged into new backups, and you have alpha sort and load by number already built in. As you have said yourself, once you have your songs on SD the problems are mainly over. The difference is in relative extra expenditure compared to the hard disk/techmanager. We have one free program which helps hx backup people hugely. Let's see if something else turns up...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online