SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#56492 - 10/14/02 04:19 PM Re: What is a Long File Name?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
In the thread referred to above, Bob asked
"I may have missed it, but does the KN7000 support long file names in the PC to SD memory copy function?"

If you look further down the thread, I replied "Bob, The SD card filing system has 99 Folders, each folder holding 20 files. Both Folder and File names can be up to 16 Characters long." Which probably did not totally answer his question, but it was 'Early days' at that time.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#56493 - 10/14/02 04:53 PM Re: What is a Long File Name?
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Well, I thought this subject had been put to bed and didn't intend to say more. I finally had time to look at the actual files and found that everyone is sorta' right. The KN7000 supports only 8 characters for the actual file names. The file name for each file on the SD card uses a numbering system that represents the location of the file on the card. Within that file there is a 16 character string variable that we are allowed to fill that contains the name that we want to be displayed. The software selects out that string and displays it instead of the file name. That explains why you can't load or save a long file name to or from the SD Card to an external device. The KN7000 can only "see" the 8 digit number name in the load or save process. Yes you can backup and restore the "long" file name but it is saved at the backup location with the 8 digit name. That also explains why the floppy system still uses the old 6 character name with the two characters used for the numbers 01 thru 20.

#56494 - 10/14/02 05:56 PM Re: What is a Long File Name?
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Oh Fudge!

Who cares how windy the name is? Let me just play it and see if I can count only 16 mistakes and try to get it down to only six slopies on a floppy.

Grandpa Doug

#56495 - 10/14/02 06:28 PM Re: What is a Long File Name?
Bob Hendershot Offline

I agree Doug. Let's play.

#56496 - 10/15/02 01:55 AM Re: What is a Long File Name?
technicsplayer Offline

I'll go along with that except in my case sorta' right means factual and accurate. Peace and good wishes, folks!

#56497 - 10/17/02 08:05 AM Re: What is a Long File Name?
technicsplayer Offline

perhaps Bob would care to read http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/001073.html and try out this free program and then update us on how easy it is to transfer his hd hard drive backups to SD card

(obviously your 26 must get cut down to 16 but all the directory names are fine)

p.s. is there virtue in patience?

#56498 - 10/17/02 01:02 PM Re: What is a Long File Name?
Bob Hendershot Offline

I gave that some thought but I doubt that it would work because I have almost a gig of stuff on my hard drive backup and I only have a 128 meg SD card. If the files were changed to KN7000 format as a part of the restore, much space would be saved because of the file compression. But I doubt that that is the case so I don't think I'll try because I have almost finished the transfer doing it manually. And you only have to do it once.

What I would really like to see is some of the utilities that were included with the Tech Manager added to the Song Manager. Since the KN7000 does not support long file names it is not possible to see the string name that the user has entered unless the file is being viewed at the KN7000 SD display (or with an editor that most users wouldn't use). The Tech Manager provided for a computer print out of the hard disk content that showed the string name associated with each file. That cross reference was invaluable to me in the process of weeding out and moving the KN5000 files to the SD card. The file management system for the SD card looks almost exactly the same as the system used by Key Soft Service for their hard drives with the exception of the 16 character string as opposed to the 20 character one. So most of the software code could be used for the Song Manager. The Song Manager is very basic to say the least.

#56499 - 10/17/02 05:06 PM Re: What is a Long File Name?
technicsplayer Offline

this program transfers your long file names, among other things. If you actually used it, you might actually know what you're talking about, Bob

#56500 - 10/17/02 07:18 PM Re: What is a Long File Name?
Bob Hendershot Offline

Oh well. . . I tried. I hope you will discuss this subject with someone other than me who has software development knowledge, Alec. Ask them what the difference is, between a file name and a string variable within the file. You certainly won't listen to me. The depth of knowledge of either of us is not important to the forum members anyway.

#56501 - 10/17/02 10:09 PM Re: What is a Long File Name?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Bob and all: I've been following this thread closely and sympathize with Bob's file transfer frustrations. I too have about a gigabyte's worth of Tehcnics KN5000 styles backed up from my Keysoft Service brand HD-AE5000 hard drive onto CDs. All my custom files also include long file names.

Until I'm assured that all my Technics files can be easily & quickly transfered to the KN7000, I won't even consider upgrading to the KN7000. Knowing Mr Hendershot personally, I highly respect his technical knowledge & expertise, so I'm sure he has considered just about every conceivable option available. I'm wondering if there something 'unique' that the KeySoftService TechManager software does to a Technics file that prevents it from being transfered to the KN7000 as a long file name?

- Scott

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online