SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#56361 - 08/09/03 10:31 PM Pad to Seq?
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
In the Pads menu I can build a pad from the sequencer, but I want to copy a pad TO the sequencer. Is there a way to do this?

The reason for my request is that some the pad 5/6 arrangements are really good, but I feel a bit of drongo standing by my keyboard pretending to be doing something while the pad plays. If I could take out the melody line and/or chords I could play those myself - maybe even the whole pad arrangement. The best way I can think of to do this is to get the pad into a midi file and then print the appropriate score from the midi file on my computer.

Any other ideas?

Mike

#56362 - 08/11/03 12:19 AM Re: Pad to Seq?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Mike,
I'm not sure I quite understand, but from what I have gathered Pad5 & Pad6 appear to be only a melody line with a chord sequence.

If I was trying to get a copy of that melody line in midi file format, I'd

Work out how long the pad sequence is, then I'd record it into the sequencer either in stetime or realtime based on the C chord.

Then press Sequencer Button
Copy Paste
APC to SMF
Set one of the tracks to Pad Part 1 and convert it to a midifile. This should give you the melody line from pad 5 & 6.
Not sure if there's any way of working out the chord progreesion part, except for veiwing it as it's playing.

I'm not quite sure what you'd really achieve , though.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Daniell:
In the Pads menu I can build a pad from the sequencer, but I want to copy a pad TO the sequencer. Is there a way to do this?

The reason for my request is that some the pad 5/6 arrangements are really good, but I feel a bit of drongo standing by my keyboard pretending to be doing something while the pad plays. If I could take out the melody line and/or chords I could play those myself - maybe even the whole pad arrangement. The best way I can think of to do this is to get the pad into a midi file and then print the appropriate score from the midi file on my computer.

Any other ideas?

Mike

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#56363 - 08/11/03 07:09 PM Re: Pad to Seq?
Mike Daniell Offline

Thanks, Rikki. I have tried doing an Easy Record but that didn't help. I'll try your detailed suggestion, which looks more promising. The melody line is the important part as it is easy to jot down the chords.

Regards,
Mike

#56364 - 08/12/03 12:36 AM Re: Pad to Seq?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
if you have any problems trying to work out what I wrote, I can go into a bit more detail. My explanations aren't always too clear (heehee)

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#56365 - 08/12/03 03:54 PM Re: Pad to Seq?
Mike Daniell Offline

Thanks again, Rikki, your suggestion works well and the key is the 'APC to SMF Convert' window which I have never looked at before. For anyone else interested I have set out below how to copy the melody (or part 1 anyway) from a Pad to the Sequencer as a midi file. Some steps you may do differently, so this is just a suggestion. I found the Step Record method gave the best results.

1. Select required performance pad bank
2. Set required tempo (not essential but helps)
3. Program Menus / Sequencer
4. Naming: name the song, eg 'Ballad Pad 5' (not essential but helps you see what you're doing)
5. Record and Edit / Step Record
6. Press track 6 (CTL) - opens step record window
7. Press required Performance Pad, eg Pad 5 - pad will play
8. Press MEAS Down as many times as there are measures in the Pad, to move the end marker
9. Program Menus (twice) / Sequencer
10. Copy and Paste / APC to SMF Convert
11. Set TR1 APC/Pad to Pad Part 1 (you can also set other tracks if reqd)
12. Convert / Execute - Part 1 from the pad is now in track 1 of the sequencer song

The remaining steps just indicate what can be done from here
13. Disk / Save / SMF Format 0
14. Name the midi file to be saved, eg BAL_PAD5.MID
15. Set Save as to GM2 (probably not necessary as I'm only interested in notes, not voices)
16. Save to floppy disk

17. Load file (eg BAL_PAD5.MID) into sequencer or music notation program on PC
18. Transpose / quantize as required. May also need to delete the last measure.
19. Print music
20. Add chord notation as required

Mike

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online