SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#55889 - 10/26/03 06:48 PM Reverb on or off?
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
If a person playing a KN or PR has the Reverb set to Room 1 wanting a room reverb effect. And if that person is already playing in a room, then really the reverb should be turned off, right? Since being in the room has the effect already.

If a person playing a Technics KN or PR has the Reverb set to Stage and is already playing on a stage. Again, the reverb should be turned off, right?

Playing a real grand piano on stage already has that acoustic stage sound. If the Technics instrument is on the same stage and the sound selected is a grand piano, then the reverb should be off, because being on the stage has the acoustics of the stage effect. Right? Or am I missing the concept of reverb.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Anthony

#55890 - 10/26/03 07:36 PM Re: Reverb on or off?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Sadly, room acoustics are not an exact science, and that's why the keyboard gives you choices to emulate certain room conditions. A grand piano has a huge BRASS harp with hundreds of strings vibrating, making the wooden box vibrate as well .... this kind of air movement will certainly reverbarate in a room more than a compressed, digital signal coming from speakers.
Unless you're in a gym or the mood suggests it ..... leave the reverb setting "as is" ...... I doubt that you will hear any adverse effects. Sometimes I lower the effects on my voice in "extra live" rooms, but I sing pretty strong, and my acoustic sound pushes lots of air on it's own. The kb is another story altogether.

Unless it sounds bad .... don't fix what isn't broken.

#55891 - 10/27/03 07:09 PM Re: Reverb on or off?
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Hi Dave:

Thanks for your feedback.

For me the default reverb setting on the PR804 is way to high. It's set at concert 1 and at 80. The instruments sounds like it's coming out of a box. Especially piano.

A few years ago when playing for the church, I recorded a song using at that time a PR305. When I played it back, I was further away from the PR. The reverb accoustics was very strong. The further out I got the stronger. Turning the reverb off solved the distance problem. But then it didn't sound reverby at close range.

Turning the reverb effect off sound great at long distances, good balance. But the closer to the PR, the less reverb effect.

Just curious on how others uses reverb when they play at public places.

Anthony

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online