SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#54990 - 11/25/02 01:19 AM Wow!!! Look what I've found.!
Jean Olivia Offline

Loc: Melbourne Victoria Australia
By chance I have discovered "Aftertouch". I came across a setting on an external disk where Aftertouch is ON. The instrument is a *Jazz Trumpet--(What does the * signify?}I accidentally hit a note hard and got the effect. I like it!!
I looked up the 6500 manual to find out more about aftertouch {page 138} and it told me that when the button is ON it is ON , and when the button is OFF it is OFF. FANCY THAT !!!
I am playing "All of Me" with this *Jazz Trumpet" and Swing Band from the 6500, which has great drum breaks that I like.
How do you guys use this "aftertouch"-I don't know much about Wind instruments.What instruments would you use it on and how is it done ??? Any help greatly appreciated.
It seems to me to be the only way to get this effect in playing live. I am experimenting with the pitch bend but can only use it on tracks already sequenced,-- I cant reach it with my nose in real-time and my hands are well and truly occupied.The Reverb Depth is set at 90 which seems fairly high but is that because of the Aftertouch being ON? Reguards to every one from Down Under.Jean.

[This message has been edited by Jean Olivia (edited 11-25-2002).]

#54991 - 11/25/02 03:10 AM Re: Wow!!! Look what I've found.!
technicsplayer Offline

you can enable aftertouch for sequencing on page 2 of record and edit, but the default is off because it eats up events - decreasing the number of notes you can record, but for single songs I doubt you would notice. For 10 songs in the sequencer at once you might.

any control can be assigned to aftertouch to any voice in sound edit, in fact you can assign 2 independent controllers with graduated effect. Obvious uses are overblow on wind instruments etc but even on guitar you can put modulation on the string decay...

#54992 - 11/25/02 04:04 AM Re: Wow!!! Look what I've found.!
Jean Olivia Offline

Alec. Thank you for your quick response. I have "digested" your first paragraph and understand it completely. It is good to know that I can use the effect in the sequencer also- provided I turn it on.
I have been sitting here trying to get the same effect with the other trumpets in the 6500, but this *jazz trumpet is the only one that gives me a pronounced semi-tone glide up to the note and has probably been "edited " some way in the sound edit?
I can't quite understand your secondparagraph, but I will read up the section on the sound edit in the manual and clarify it. I haven't tried editing sounds as I have so many already, but this is different.
It would be good to get a song in the magazine with a guide to playing the solo line as a wind instrument would, showing clearly where the after touch and glide could be applied.I think what I have to concentrate now is to learn to play all the instruments as they would be played by the musicians themselves.Most organists would be in the same position, I think. What do others think?. What is the best way to learn this? Maybe a good teacher?? Thanks again. Jean.

[This message has been edited by Jean Olivia (edited 11-25-2002).]

#54993 - 11/25/02 04:24 PM Re: Wow!!! Look what I've found.!
technicsplayer Offline

a controller is for example filter, detune, pan, delay, pitch, low frequency oscillator (12 programmable to choose from) depth or speed plus all the others. The effect on one or more samples of the voice can be set, thus affecting the chosen sample(s) but not affecting the other sample(s) in the voice.

any 2 can be assigned to aftertouch with varying depth. Thus you can have a mild effect from one on one sample(s) at the same time as a severe effect from the other at the same pressure on the same or other sample(s), or program the opposite response.

#54994 - 11/25/02 06:17 PM Re: Wow!!! Look what I've found.!
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I'm not at my keyboard at the moment, so I can't confirm this, but I recall trying to set my own aftertouch settings on a guitar sound, where I wanted to increase vibrato by applying more pressure to the key. However, increasing pressure on the key also raised the volume level of the sound, which I did not want. Is there a way to stop this change of volume happening in aftertouch?

Mike

PS I've just read a comment from Grandpa Doug on the Technote forum about a different topic, namely the mod wheel. Maybe using the mod wheel for this guitar effect is a much easier solution than setting aftertouch. I'll give it a try.

[This message has been edited by Mike Daniell (edited 11-25-2002).]

#54995 - 11/26/02 12:46 PM Re: Wow!!! Look what I've found.!
Jean Olivia Offline

Thanks Alec for the extra information. I will get into this over the weekend and see what I can accomplish.Meanwhile I am having fun with this *Jazz Trumpet" (still don't know what the * means before a voice)
Mike-- I bet it is getting pretty warm up there. I am driving up through the centre next year to Darwin and coming back down the coast taking up to three months off for the trip.Thought I'd leave here in September or late August. The Keyboard is coming too.Cheers Jean.

#54996 - 11/26/02 02:33 PM Re: Wow!!! Look what I've found.!
technicsplayer Offline

I assume you mean jazz trumpet soloist in which case the * signifies a velocity layer. If you hit the key very hard you get the shake tone at the top of the velocity range. Thus more than one sample is played depending on how hard you hit the keys.

#54997 - 11/26/02 10:52 PM Re: Wow!!! Look what I've found.!
Jean Olivia Offline

Alec. the *JAZZ TRUMPET is from an external disk of sound memories sent to me by a member, so they are loaded into the sound memory bank. Several of the voices- there are 4 pages - have this * before the name and I see now that they all glide up a semitone if hit hard so I assume that the person who has edited the sound has added the * to distinguish it from the others. I have had a look at a lot of the sound memory files from the 20 for 1 disks and some of the sounds on some memories have the * after the name so I think it is an identification tool for the "editor" perhaps. Incidentally none of the latter react in the way that the first group do.I love the effect at any rate.
I am very happy with the 6500, but still have so much to learn that I am not pining for the 7000-- I will skip that one and wait to see what the 800?? offers. thank you again for your help. cheers Jean.

#54998 - 11/27/02 02:45 AM Re: Wow!!! Look what I've found.!
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Jean,
your assumption of the meaning of an *-soundfilename is correct. It doesnot mean anything. I'v noticed myself that some sounds you named (with the *-) are from another keyboard (f.e. solton, roland) and are converted for using in an Technicskeyboard.
Greetings
Cees

Quote:
Originally posted by Jean Olivia:
. Several of the voices- there are 4 pages - have this * before the name and I see now that they all glide up a semitone if hit hard so I assume that the person who has edited the sound has added the * to distinguish it from the others. I have had a look at a lot of the sound memory files from the 20 for 1 disks and some of the sounds on some memories have the * after the name so I think it is an identification tool for the "editor" perhaps. .

#54999 - 11/27/02 03:55 AM Re: Wow!!! Look what I've found.!
technicsplayer Offline

The * is used as an identifier in the sound edit menu internally for velocity switching for each tone, and that is the one I was referring to. Your sound programmer obviously renames the sounds externally to give that identification too. If you try the preset jazz trumpet soloist it has the same type of response combined with aftertouch as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online