SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#54844 - 12/31/02 02:10 AM Custom styles on SD?
Bert Aarts Offline

Loc: Breda, The Netherlands
I am trying to find the best solution for filing custom styles on SD card. I have downloaded the reprise custom styles from the technicskn7000 site as single single .cst. and also the various grouped .ast files. The grouped files however are not grouped the way that I like. Now I want to group them, e.g. balad styles, blues styles, rock styles etc. so that I can easily search for the best style that suits a certain song.
The manual gives unsufficient information (shame on Technics!).
I prefer to have groups of styles in sepreate folders on the SD card of which I can load single styles.
I found out that the only way to save/load .cst files is by the custom style load/save option in a special folder and it is not possible to create groups into that special folder. I also cannot find out how many single styles can be saved in this special folder.
My conclusion is that the only way to make style groups is to create .ast files by loading each .cst file (up till 20) from floppy to custom and save customs as .ast file to a folder on SD. This is very complicated and time consuming. I wonder if there is an other solution to this. Maybe by Techmanager? I do not have a card reader.
I welcome any advise on this subject.

I wish every forum member a Happy New Year and a lot of musical pleasure in 2003.
For Technics I wish them to get the awareness that we need more information from them to achieve optimum pleasure out of their instruments.
Bert

#54845 - 12/31/02 05:46 AM Re: Custom styles on SD?
Lloyd Erickson Offline

Loc: Port Richey, Fl.
Bert:
Technics should be reading messages like yours and hundreds of others.
Only a few seasoned Technics owners and gifted computer guru's can manipulate the complicated procedures needed to make the Instrument useful.
It is my hope that Technics will supply a supplemental manual for us with info. that the layman can understand.
Complicated instructions are made up of several simple steps so let's get Technics to show us the simple steps!
I know what will happen: We will have to pay either Technics or someone else to have a manual that will give us the info. we need to operate the 7000 past basics (Even those are poorly explained in the supplied manual.)
Let us hope that in 2003 Technics will wake up to the fact that the orig. manual is very poorly written and will react to this situation.
Each article written about this will serve to resolve at least some of problems Technics owners have. Lloyd

#54846 - 12/31/02 06:35 AM Re: Custom styles on SD?
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Bert,
I have been through this same routine as have many others. I believe that the procedure that you described is the only one at this time that will allow you to group the custom styles to your liking.
I am in the process of doing exactly what you describe. It is slow, very time consuming, and almost idiotic to have to go through such an archaic procedure on an instrument that is as technically advanced as the KN7000.
The Custom file will hold approximately 200 individual .CST files, but cannot be grouped.
Another SD characteristic that is annoying, is that if you have 200 .CST files on the card, you have to scroll through them one by one using the up-down buttons in order to access the one that you want. This is bad enough, but the Tempo wheel is inactive, so you have push the button, wait, push the button, wait, ETC.
I truly hope that Technics takes note of the unhappiness in this area of operation of the instrument.
Keep pushing those buttons! You'll eventually get it set up the way you want it.
Walt

#54847 - 12/31/02 07:26 AM Re: Custom styles on SD?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I create folders (8/16,Ballad,and so on), move the style from Custom to Composer (Composer, Custom File Copy Menue), then save in the respective folder.

Fran in Florida

#54848 - 12/31/02 08:19 AM Re: Custom styles on SD?
AlexGreen Offline

Loc: Beachwood NJ USA
Hi Bert;

As Fran said move the custom styles to composer. Then create a folder on your SD card of your preferred custom styles. Three styles in one slot.
Saving only to composer of course.

This way you will have 60 of your most favorite custom styles in one folder.

Alex from New Jersey

#54849 - 12/31/02 10:49 AM Re: Custom styles on SD?
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Remember, if wanted, it will also load the first 4 panel memories with appropriate right hands,store the best one in memories 5/6/7/8. and put the composer 1/2/3/4 to 5/6/7/8, now you have 8 panel memories. Walter.

#54850 - 12/31/02 03:28 PM Re: Custom styles on SD?
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
You may be interested in this product. When used in conjuction with your computer, it seems like it would make life with the SD Card much easier http://216.239.35.120/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.taiyo.de/technics/cb7/main.htm

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#54851 - 01/01/03 05:33 AM Re: Custom styles on SD?
Bert Aarts Offline

Loc: Breda, The Netherlands
Thanks all for your suggestions. It will give me a lot of work to transfer all the custom files one by one but I think it is worth doing it and it keeps me busy.
Bert

#54852 - 01/01/03 08:09 AM Re: Custom styles on SD?
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Quote: I think it is worth doing it and it keeps me busy.

Bert, If everybody would latch on to that attitude and run with it as a New Years resolution what a great forum we would have for 2003. I got to tip my hat to you for a great statement. With that outlook I’m sure you will have a lot of musical pleasure in 2003 along with anyone else with the same attitude.

My brother is a tech writer for Motorola Corp.. We have had many discussions on writing these instruction manuals. Quite a subject. When he goes to the engineering department to gather the information he needs to publish a manuel he runs into this blank wall. The blank wall is this: These super brains know what they are doing but have a very hard time putting into words what they have done. My brother says at times he could just pull his hair out in frustration. He tries to explain to these people that he is trying to write a book for the poor guys out in the field who have to use and repair these things. My brother, Jim, is very good in electronics and many times has to get the schematics and figure out for himself how this product works and how to fix it. Then comes the task of transferring his mind into words. Words that the common Joe Blows of this world can understand. If you think this is easy just try it. Pick up something near you. Something simple. Take pen in hand and tell me how all its parts look like, how they work and all the things it does. Let the wife or a friend read the paper and see if they can make any sense out of it. This can be a great parlor game with a lot of laughs. Just think what happens when this is given to a translator. My head is starting to hurt.

This world is moving fast. Our Technics keyboards have just leaped ahead of all others to the cutting edge of things. Yes, they are wonderful sounding and easy to use right out of the box. But! But can also leap from their box into a completely different box. The computer. Most of the people using these keyboards have a hard time even spelling confuser, I mean computer. A lot of people have a hard time with the things they were supposed to learn in school. Reading comprehension! In fact many of our urban schools are putting out kids who really can’t read. If they can’t read well, how in the world can they comprehend what they read? Even my Ruthie has a hard time with this reading comprehension thing. I don’t mind. She might have a hard time comprehending what she reads but she sure can comprehend what I need. Ya, Ruthie and me hit it off real good!

Three cheers now for the tech writers. Three cheers now for the people who can’t understand them. Lets give thanks for them all! Hay Doug are you nuts? Have you lost it? No guys. If that wasn’t the case there would be no reason for this forum to exist. No questions. No answers. No help. No thank you’s. Have a happy New Year Folks.

Grandpa Doug

#54853 - 01/01/03 02:52 PM Re: Custom styles on SD?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
I'm slowly working my way grouping all my styles the way I want them, but I did pick myself up an inexpensive usb sd card reader from ebay ( $26AUD approx $14USD plus postage), which has made the process a lot quicker. I can't use it with audio etc like the one that's sold for the KN7000, but at least it's a quick way of transferring .cst & ast files to my laptop for backup storage.

I'm doing mine by the following method;
First I saved all the .cst files to my laptop for back up. Then to individual floppies ie all the kn6's to 1 disk, all the kn 5's to another etc
Then I created folders on my SD card and matching ones in my laptop ie latin, 8 & 16 beat, R&b etc

Now I'm individually loading the .cst's into custom memory. I started with all the .cst in the custom memory, then the kn6000 cst, then the kn 5000 etc

Example: I started by loading 001 kn6000.cst from my floppy which just say may be an 8 beat, I then saved it to my sd card Folder 8 & 16 beat , named it song 8 beat and then also saved it again from floppy to my laptop Folder 8 & 16 Beat , with a sub folder called 8 beat. and also another folder called DUPLICATE ( so I can place any duplicated styles in there) I basically duplicate everything in my laptop that I do on my sd card. I then delete 001 kn6000.cst from my floppy and go to the next one 002 kn6000.cst
which may be a 16 beat. I go through the same process and save it in the 8 & 16 beat
Folder song 16 beat.
Unfortunately not all the styles types are
sequential, so I have to keep loading my songs 8beat or 16 beat etc back into custom memory to add new additions.
I've found quite a few duplicates especially with the kn 5000 & kn 3000 styles. The dulicates i put in my duplicate folder.

When I finally finish, I'll be able to count all the .cst's in their respective folders in my laptop and make sure I haven't lost any. I'll also know which ones are duplicated. The other reason I'm saving them as .cst's ( as well as .ast )is that I'll be able to keep rearranging them the way I want.

It's a long process but well worth it in the long run.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Bert Aarts:
I am trying to find the best solution for filing custom styles on SD card. I have downloaded the reprise custom styles from the technicskn7000 site as single single .cst. and also the various grouped .ast files. The grouped files however are not grouped the way that I like. Now I want to group them, e.g. balad styles, blues styles, rock styles etc. so that I can easily search for the best style that suits a certain song.
The manual gives unsufficient information (shame on Technics!).
I prefer to have groups of styles in sepreate folders on the SD card of which I can load single styles.
I found out that the only way to save/load .cst files is by the custom style load/save option in a special folder and it is not possible to create groups into that special folder. I also cannot find out how many single styles can be saved in this special folder.
My conclusion is that the only way to make style groups is to create .ast files by loading each .cst file (up till 20) from floppy to custom and save customs as .ast file to a folder on SD. This is very complicated and time consuming. I wonder if there is an other solution to this. Maybe by Techmanager? I do not have a card reader.
I welcome any advise on this subject.

I wish every forum member a Happy New Year and a lot of musical pleasure in 2003.
For Technics I wish them to get the awareness that we need more information from them to achieve optimum pleasure out of their instruments.
Bert

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online