SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#5436 - 03/19/03 07:14 AM The NEW E-Mu Vintage Keys Keyboard
Tonemonster Offline

Loc: USA
Hey people, I asked a question about a good Keboard to nail down the classic synth songs of the 70's and 80's and I got some good relplies and advice, THANKS!!! I have another question, I have become aware of the new E-mu Vintage Keys keyboard that is on the market. Has anyone tried one? I would be very interested in knowing how htey sound as I think this may be what I am looking for. ANy info would be apprecaited!!! THANKS!!!!

tonemonster

#5437 - 03/23/03 02:17 AM Re: The NEW E-Mu Vintage Keys Keyboard
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
The Vintage Keys Pro module recently received a very good review in music magazines. The only criticism of it was lack of tremelo in the DSP for for global effect on electric piano sounds, so it uses oscillator tremelo which isn't so convincing with certain types of playing techniques as each note triggers it's own tremelo individually rather than a global effect as was the the case on vintage pianos. But other than that the general impression was that the sounds are excellent.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 03-23-2003).]

#5438 - 03/24/03 06:13 AM Re: The NEW E-Mu Vintage Keys Keyboard
Tonemonster Offline

Loc: USA
thanks Nigel, I appreciate your reply!! I am very curious to be able to try one of these units out. If anyone gets the chance to try one out, please let us know what you think!! Thanks again!!

Tone

#5439 - 03/25/03 02:17 AM Re: The NEW E-Mu Vintage Keys Keyboard
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
If what you are interested in is just synthesizer sounds then you should also check out some analog modeling synths which can emulate those 70s and 80s analog synths very convincingly and provide a lot more realtime control than any sample playback keyboard. Roland make the JP-8000 keyboard and JP-8080 module which emulate older Roland analog synths. Waldorf, Clavia, Access, Korg and Yamaha also make analog modeling synths which can emulate the synths from that era.

Note that the strength of the Vintage Keys is more the electric piano and organ sounds than the synth sounds. Although it cover some basic synth sounds, they may not be as versatile as you want them to be. But you should try to find one to listen to yourself and see whether it will provide what you need. Try listen to both sample playback as well as virtual analog synths to see what sounds best to you.

#5440 - 03/25/03 09:06 AM Re: The NEW E-Mu Vintage Keys Keyboard
tekminus Offline

Can't wait for the new Clavia Modular. Hopefully the new OS will be supporting the old one as well (or atleast that they update the old one). It's called G2. What's interesting is, it will be sold as an engine only version too, which requires a computer for control.

Here's the keys:

-tek

edit: tired..

[This message has been edited by tekminus (edited 03-25-2003).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online