SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#54254 - 05/01/03 10:55 AM Something to discuss?
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
I'm just a home player, entertaining myself and occaisionaly friends.
I have all the Technics style disks of my choice and a few Korgs. Never had the need for a hard disk, and won't ever be using the SD card - in fact I seem to have lost the thing.
Not interested in wallpaper, all I want is to make music with my KN7000.

So, these hi-tech thingies are wasted on me.
I wonder if I'm alone in this or whether there are enought of like minds to persuade Technics to produce keyboards with these (for me) unwanted and unnecessary thingies as plug in extras?

ogre

#54255 - 05/01/03 12:38 PM Re: Something to discuss?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Ogre
I thought the same as you for years on my kn5000. I didn't even have a working diskdrive. I relied on my panel memories, which I had made up for different styles.

I am not a computer whiz kid either. I am a 62 year old former Hammond B-3 organist. That is until I got my 7000 and then Alec's book and the video. The approach to the book is to explore all the wonders of the 7000 and explains in pictures and simple language new things you can do. Even in the simplest terms, the SD is truly a Godsend to me. The ability to store all kinds of styles and songs in one place, then recall them instantly is priceless. That is just a tiny feature.
I think I know where you are coming from,but ,I don't think you should make up your mind until you investigate it's merits in Alec's book,at least.
Just one old organist's opinion.

Good Luck
Bernie

#54256 - 05/01/03 01:35 PM Re: Something to discuss?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
I've never bothered with a hard disk either, on any of my kn keyboards, but I think the sd card is fantastic.
Even if one doesn't use it for audio & some of the other functions available, it is still a great medium for storing styles and songs. Saves having dozens of floppies floating around, and loading and saving is much faster.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#54257 - 05/01/03 03:54 PM Re: Something to discuss?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I had a hard drive in the KN3000 and it was super. I moved into the KN6000 and could not get a hard drive that would work. I gave it up. After 4 Technics keyboards I gave them up too and bought the Yamaha PSR9000 and put a hard drive in it and hooked up a SCSI CDRW drive I had in the studio. This is all great and what I wanted the KN6000 to be, but the only problem is that the Yam 9000 is not a Technics. Well, as you might guess or probably heard I am back to playing and recording on the KN6000 again and thinking about a KN7000. (The Yam 9K is resting at present
Bebop

#54258 - 05/01/03 05:28 PM Re: Something to discuss?
Artaher Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Bepop, you say "...but the only problem is that the Yam 9000 is not a Technics"
What do you want to tell exactly?

It is important for me, I am thinking about to buy a kb, perhaps kn2600, perhaps PSR2100... (both similar price) What aspects do you think technics is better?

#54259 - 05/01/03 07:19 PM Re: Something to discuss?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by Artaher:
Bepop, you say "...but the only problem is that the Yam 9000 is not a Technics"
What do you want to tell exactly?

It is important for me, I am thinking about to buy a kb, perhaps kn2600, perhaps PSR2100... (both similar price) What aspects do you think technics is better?

Artaher,
I think the easiest is to sum it all up by saying that in my opinion the Yamaha is not at all intuitive, and the Technics is.
I have been using keyboards for 20 years, computers longer then that, and I find it very difficult to program and use the Yam. and to get out of it what I want. The OS is just not compatible with my background in the many Technics and NON ARRANGER keyboards I have had and used through the years. I have had this 9000 now for 9 months and although I can play it fine, I have only recorded one song to date and have not yet edited that song. I have added 65 mgs of sample ram and have yet to use the sampler. IN 3 WORDS: THE MANUAL SUX!
I have not tried a Tyros yet, and only recently heard of the two keyboards you mention so I am not familiar with them.
The kn series boards, you turn them on, play them, record them, edit them, tweak them, all very intuitive. That is my opinion for whatever it is worth to you.
I do admonish you not to buy a keyboard based on what someone else may think about them. Do your homework, research, try them out several times, compare them and ask for in writing an agreement to return the keyboard if it does not work for you.
Best to you
Bebop

#54260 - 05/01/03 07:45 PM Re: Something to discuss?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Originally posted by ogre:
[B]I'm just a home player, entertaining myself and occaisionaly friends.

keyboards with these (for me) unwanted and unnecessary thingies as plug in extras?

ogre

When I am talking to someone about the Bible, and they present me with negatives, my replay is normally, "Oh, how many years have you studied the Bible". Normally as these people understan more, they become comfortable.

And so it is with all these new toys. I love my KN7000, I play it everyday.
Reasons I like this keyboard and all it offers.
1-The SD card allows me to have a collection of songs played by many different players. There are times when I just sit and enjoy.
2-I no longer use a mini disk player to play line dances, ect. The Kn7000 I do what I need.
3-I have a lot of information on my SD card. Technic midi files, keyboard panel set-ups.
original recordings,styles,--eveything I used to search for is now in my keyboard.
There is more, but I've said enough. My last words---TRY IT, YOU''LL LIKE IT!!
John C.

#54261 - 05/01/03 08:07 PM Re: Something to discuss?
Arthur R. Jacobs Offline

Loc: Alma, Michigan, 48801 USA
Bebop my friend: If anyone in this world deserves a KN-7000, its you. The way you can play that KN-6000, tells me that the 7000 would be the "pride and joy of your life." Go for it "twinkle fingers", God and the rest of us wants you to have it.
ARJ

#54262 - 05/02/03 07:33 AM Re: Something to discuss?
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
OK. You all win on the SD card, and I'm persuaded to try it out, BUT as a home player I'll never be persuaded as to the merits of wallpaper - and nobody tried...

Bebop - agree with your comments on Technics v Yamaha, and soon as you can go for the 7000 it's great (apart from wallpapering).

Just been watching/listening to Vivaldi by Peter Baartmans - makes me feel sort of inadequate - wonderful stuff.

Ogre

#54263 - 05/02/03 04:40 PM Re: Something to discuss?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Beebop,
bizzare, I pretty much feel the same way about my 9000 pro, that it's not as intuitive & that the manual is LESS than helpful. The manual tells you that you can perform certain functions, but then fails to tell you how to go about it. Spent many frustrating hours trying to sort things out.
Fortunately I didn't buy any of the sample ram, even though it was the sampler that intrigued me in the first place.

After i bought the KN7, I decided that I'd try to sell the 9000pro. I was a bit hesitant to do so because I thoroughly enjoy being a member of the psr style group ( also a fabulous bunch of friends) and also because I'd bought some great 3rd party styles for the pro , which, if I tried to convert them, wouldn't sound as good on the kn7 as they do on the pro.

I ended up with the best of both worlds when I discovered what I could do with Audio and the sd card on the kn7.

I'm actually starting to use my 9000pro again and even added a secondhand VA7 to my collection. I create a backing track in steptime ( play in chords & parts intro, vari 1 etc) in the 9000pro sequencer, save it as a midifile. Record it as a wav file via computer, convert it to an mp3 using Panasonic Juke Box Program and save it to sd card.

Then I just plug the card back into the kn7 and I can play along using kn voices for melody & left hand parts while the backing is played using the 9000 pro voices because it's an audio file and not a midi file.
I can't have all my keyboards in the living room ( just the kn), so it's a great alternative to having to have them all midied together or to go through all the hassles editing the 9000 pro midifile to suit the kn7.

Each of the keyboards have their own unique styles and sounds, but for me the kn7 is the easiest one to use, even though my playing SUKS ( hee hee)

I'm pretty sure you'll love the KN7 if you decide to get one.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online