SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#53098 - 08/14/03 06:50 PM Midi (SMF) Type 1 vs Type 0
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Ok, here's a stupid question but got know the difference, in layman's terms please.

"What's the difference between Type 1 and Type 0 Midi (SMF) files"?

Is one better than the other?

Anyone know the reason why Technics instruments save type 0 only?

Anthony

#53099 - 08/14/03 11:06 PM Re: Midi (SMF) Type 1 vs Type 0
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Anthony,
There are two variations of the Standard MIDI File format, called Type 0 and Type 1. Both variations contain the same data, but the arrangement of the data within the file is different. Type 0 is a single track of data; Type 1 is multi-track. Many of the popular sequencing software packages available can import and export either type of file.

In the Type 0 Standard MIDI File, all data is saved to a single track without regard to its MIDI channel reference. The file plays normally, but accessing the individual components is a bit more difficult. If editing is needed, the user can open the Standard MIDI File in the application of choice and copy/paste individual channels of information manually as needed.

A Type 1 Standard MIDI File outputs a separate track for each MIDI channel in the original sequence. This format greatly simplifies editing once the sequence has been transferred from one sequencer to another.

I have also read that the choise for SMF 0 could be, that this format is most realible, no bugs in it,.
Don't think I am that clever , I have got it from 'whatis.com' . But I was curious too. If you use google and search for 'smf type 1' you will find more information..
Greetings,
Cees

#53100 - 08/15/03 10:34 PM Re: Midi (SMF) Type 1 vs Type 0
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Thank You...

Anthony

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online