SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5306 - 06/11/02 03:38 AM future of rock?
lfolawyer Offline

Loc: india(Bharat)
deep purple,Iron Maiden,Van Halen,Yngwie Malmsteen are still a big hit in India(Bharat/Hindustan).....virtuosity is absent in present rock scene.Do you agree?

32nd note solo played on guitar sounds better
or does it sounds better if played by a sequencer?

#5307 - 06/11/02 04:31 AM Re: future of rock?
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
i personally dont like esoteric masturbatory guitar solos that only guitar players can appreciate...

but they soung much better on a real guitar adn are more believable because you can do a lot more on a guitar rather than a synth recreation

[This message has been edited by MRT1212 (edited 06-11-2002).]

#5308 - 06/11/02 08:08 AM Re: future of rock?
tekminus Offline

I don't like fake quitars. Some really distorted chords can sound great in industrial style music, like Frontline Assembly or Front 242. Wailing electric guitars made with synths tend to remind me of those demo songs you hear in shops.

-tek

#5309 - 06/11/02 08:31 AM Re: future of rock?
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
I never liked rock at all . I started listening to Kraftwerk when I was 4 and Autobahn was on the radio . The only rock I ever cared for was new wave rock like Flock of Seagulls and Gary Numan . To me it's just music to sell beer to and get a girl drunk enough to give up the slop bucket .

#5310 - 06/11/02 10:45 AM Re: future of rock?
Esh Offline

Loc: Hilton Head, SC, USA
I don't listen to rock without keyboards. Yes, I play keyboards but guitar-based rock bores me and lacks color. And I like it to have a touch of R&B/jazz flavoring as well, ala Allman Brothers who are still without peers today more than 20 years after their start. Today I listen mostly to Sting and Seal, both of whom have the good taste to leave out the rock power chords in their music and still blow the roof off. The future of rock? Good taste...

------------------
Esh
http://www.mp3.com/esh

#5311 - 06/14/02 02:33 PM Re: future of rock?
Munsie Offline

Rock is excellent. I can't stand the loop based dance/trance/techo garbage. Nothing worse than listening to a 6 minute loop centered around a drum and bass groove. All of this candy cutter bubble gum pop crap from Spears and the gang has got to go as well. Actually, it's already on the way out. Rock has many forms, personally I think it's at it's best when it's a simple, powerful, song structured so you can tap your feet and sing along with it. If you look at the big picture of rock it is coming back big time. Right now it's at a more pop oriented structure. (Nickleback, Puddle of mud, etc.) Which is fine, that's some good stuff. Most listeners go through a variety of styles, but as you get older almost everyone comes back to listen to some rock tunes. When was the last time anyone over 21 listened to a Brateny Spears or Ricky Martin song? You're only a young adult for about 25 years of your life, think about the kind of music you will listen to for the next 40 years of your life after you turn 25. When you're in your 30's and above it's cool to tap your feet, sing along with some classic tunes, it ain't cool to dance to a bubble gum pop song. Sorry...

#5312 - 06/16/02 09:18 PM Re: future of rock?
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
NickelBack and Puddle of Mud are pretty good, but do not compare to the earlier 90s rock bands. Something has to give soon with music. Most of it out there is pure garbage.

#5313 - 06/21/02 05:38 AM Re: future of rock?
Rael Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
The best modern rock out there (in my opinion) is that which has a traditional, cool, 70s influence, really influenced by lou reed, and the velvet underground, that kind of stuff, but which has incorporated new technology, especially (non-cheesy sounding) electronic sounds for texture and colour. Definitely guitar based, and riff-based, but with out wanky, over the top wailing solos in the style of virtuoso rock or cock rock. I'm talking about bands like the Dandy Warhols, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, the Jesus and Mary Chain etc, even Queens of the Stone Age. The fact that the songs are reasonably simple add to their appeal, for me. It means everyone can relate to them, unlike esoteric guitar solos. I'm always going to be in love with the original early velvets stuff though, it just can't be beaten.

Experimental rock, such as radiohead is also really good, but on a different, more cerebral level. This stuff isn't for everyone.

#5314 - 06/21/02 10:26 PM Re: future of rock?
rami_qwe Offline

Loc: CA, USA
No way that R.O.C.K. can ever come down,
atleat in US,no need to giv clarification as i generally download music from kazaa and the sahring 'n dwnloading of rock is at real high pace.U check ur self.

#5315 - 06/22/02 04:56 AM Re: future of rock?
Rael Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
i agree. just because it doesn't have the huge profile of contemporary pop or mainstream electronic, doesn't mean that quality rock isn't being shared and enjoyed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online