SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#52636 - 08/30/07 11:33 AM Mazurka ?
roger brandon bradbury Offline

Loc: Willersey, Broadway
Please help. I will be playing for a wonderfull Polish lady in 12 days time. She has requested Mazurka ? Can any one put me in the direction of the music, what style ? any thing that will help.Thank you

------------------
rog.

#52637 - 08/30/07 01:26 PM Re: Mazurka ?
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Hi Roger, I have some music called Mazurka (from Coppelia, L. DELIBES.

I have always thought Mazurka was a type of dance but I really don't know.

I will scan my Mazurka and send it. Hope it helps. Joan

PS - Just realised you don't show your Email address. So I cannot send it - Joan

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 08-30-2007).]

#52638 - 08/30/07 01:40 PM Re: Mazurka ?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
The Mazurka is a Polish Dance basically in 3/4 time. The well known Polish composer Chopin, wrote quite a few and you can listen to/download some midi files here : http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/4279/MIDI.html

If you don't fancy playing them, just load them into your keyboard..............

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#52639 - 08/30/07 01:59 PM Re: Mazurka ?

Joan , Bill thank you for your posts. I have put my e mail on record. This Mazurka is a challenge. I have found the steps including variations including foot slapping and more. I now have 233 types including a 3/4 polonaise and a 'emilie' polka. Any more information I would be most grateful inc. tempo with waltz step ma-zur-ka-1-2-3 any films ?

------------------
Roger B

#52640 - 08/30/07 04:15 PM Re: Mazurka ?
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Roger,

As Bill says a Mazurka is in 3/4 time. It is generally played in a staccato style and a tempo of around 150 to 160. Anitra's Dance from Grieg's Peer Gynt is also a Mazurka. I will email you a couple of styles and also music for 1 song. I will look for more music and styles over the weekend when I hope to have a little more time.

Len

#52641 - 08/30/07 05:37 PM Re: Mazurka ?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
The Mazurka Outside Poland

In Russia, Tchaikovsky composed six mazurkas for solo piano, one for his Swan Lake score, one in his opera Eugene Onegin, and one for his Sleeping Beauty score; Leo Delibes composed one which appears several times in the first act of his ballet Coppelia; Borodin wrote two in his Petite Suite for piano; Mikhail Glinka also wrote two, and Alexander Scriabin used the form as well. The Mazurka is an important dance in many Russian novels. In addition to its mention in Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina as well as in a protracted episode in War and Peace, the dance is prominently featured in Ivan Turgenev's novel Fathers and Sons. Arkady reserves the Mazurka for Madame Odintsov with whom he is falling in love.

In France, Impressionistic composers Claude Debussy and Maurice Ravel both wrote Mazurkas: Debussy's is a stand-alone piece, and Ravel's is part of a suite of an early work, La Parade.

In Swedish folk music, the quaver or eight-note polska has a similar rhythm to the mazurka, and the two dances have a common origin.

In Brazil, the composer Heitor Villa-Lobos wrote a mazurka for classical guitar in a similar musical style to Polish mazurkas.

The dance was also common as a popular dance in Europe the United States in the mid- to late 19th century. It survives in some old time fiddle tunes, and also in early Cajun music, though it has largely fallen out of Cajun music now. In the Southern United States it was sometimes known as a mazuka.

In Cape Verde the mazurka is also revered as an important cultural phenomenon played with a violin and accompanied by guitars. It also takes a dance form found in the north of the archipelago, mainly in São Nicolau, Santo Antão.

Marzurkas are also popular in the traditional dance music of County Donegal, Ireland. Groucho Marx mentions the Mazurka in his song "Lydia the Tattooed Lady" from "At the Circus": "For two bits, she will do a Mazurka in Jazz..."

John C.

#52642 - 08/30/07 07:19 PM Re: Mazurka ?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
The Mazurka is also an Italian folk dance in 3/4 time at 150 - 160 BPM ... I learned several of them when I was a kid studying accordion ... ...
t.

#52643 - 09/01/07 12:48 PM Re: Mazurka ?

Sorted. To all you kind people, thank you for your messages, I never realized it was a dance. I am now co ordinating your input and will have a lovely Polish lady in a Ross on Wye nursing home re- living her past. Thank you

------------------
Roger B

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online