SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#51529 - 01/11/04 09:26 AM NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
technicsplayer Offline

At last the announcement has been made in Japan and it's official - no more Technics.
A sad day.

#51530 - 01/11/04 09:35 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Wow, I'm stunned and yes, sad Very Sad

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#51531 - 01/11/04 09:40 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Then it's true what they say, no smoke unless any fire.....
Well, the rumours have been going for some time now, but it's
really really sad.
Wonder what brand is the next to close down, I was looking
to add a SD1, so maybe some news at Frankfurth?
Are you going this year Alec?
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#51532 - 01/11/04 09:41 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
gilbert Offline

Loc: Oelsnitz /E Germany
HiEveryone,
Although I have not posted on this Forum since going over to Yamaha some while Ago, I have still been a regular visitor taking great interest in all the varied topics that have been posted regarding the Kn7000.Having just decided to purchase the 7000 it is in deed very sad news that after all these years we are going to lose one of the best keyboard producers ever.SAD.Best wishes to all
Gilbert.

#51533 - 01/11/04 09:43 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Very Very sad - the entire Electronic Musical Instrument Department has closed.
I feel really sorry for the Technics staff, two of whom were personal friends.

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 01-11-2004).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#51534 - 01/11/04 09:53 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Who was it?? that said
It was only a rumour and take it with a grain of salt
a sad end to an era and your last chance for a KN2600 but I doubt if you will be finding any KN7000

#51535 - 01/11/04 10:02 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Tis indeed a sad day. Still I suppose it will save me from the regular "discussions" with my wife about making a change.....

I can only assume that Technics was having financial problems, and I wonder how many other manufacturers are in the same boat?

At least the Technicskn7000 site is still open but for how long?

Peter

#51536 - 01/11/04 10:06 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Well, nothing as bad that it's not good for anything.....
Just keep up as usual, soon the KN's will be a rare
collector serie, and with a "Golden Club" here at SZ.
Nigel, start print the diplomas
GJ

#51537 - 01/11/04 10:08 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Johnnie.c Offline

A thought has just occurred to me that there are still the Panasonic keyboards.

so a rumour and a hunch!!
the Technics closure could mean that they are going to diversify and market under the Panasonic banner and so maybe re-appear with the next high end on the Panasonic logo ???????????

#51538 - 01/11/04 10:13 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Not according to my 'sources' Johnnie - the entire musical instrument division of Panasonic / Technics / Matsushita has closed.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#51539 - 01/11/04 10:15 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
At Last an optimist. Hope you're right Johnnie. Thinks - I must live a very sheltered life, didn't even know that there were Panasonic keyboards.........

Peter

#51540 - 01/11/04 10:18 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Walt Tenay Offline

Loc: Rutherfordton, NC
Hi,

Here in the states there is still inventory of KN7000 at Technics USA I myself have inventory of all models. Parts will be available for 5-7 years so not all bad news for current owners. Yes - sad for any new models, but perhaps make us appreciate our Technics more no matter what model we have altho I like my 7000 the best.

Walt Tenay
Walt Tenay Keyboard Studios
Myrtle Beach, SC 29526 USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnnie.c:

Who was it?? that said
It was only a rumour and take it with a grain of salt
a sad end to an era and your last chance for a KN2600 but I doubt if you will be finding any KN7000

#51541 - 01/11/04 10:58 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunnar Jonny:
maybe some news at Frankfurth?
Are you going this year Alec?
GJ

I do have a trip offered for a commercial market report this year (non-Technics), but it just won't be the same if I do decide to take it up.

#51542 - 01/11/04 11:48 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Johnnie.c Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Walt Tenay:
Hi,

Here in the states there is still inventory of KN7000 at Technics USA I myself have inventory of all models. Parts will be available for 5-7 years so not all bad news for current owners. Yes - sad for any new models, but perhaps make us appreciate our Technics more no matter what model we have altho I like my 7000 the best.

Walt
I am very glad that there is still an opportunity to be able to acquire the KN7000 in the USA.
Not so easy in the UK I'm afraid they are very scarce and retailers have not been able to replenish their stock for a little while now.
I suspect that if there are no further models to have to chase then it will be a golden opportunity to get to know our KN7000 in depth.
If you look at it honestly it would be hard to think how much further the KN range could go as far as improvements in the sound and the quality of the voices are concerned and we have at our elbow just about every rhythm and music style that was ever created. I accept that technology rolls on and that new gismos evolve such as where memory and media features in the box are concerned.
Hey! am I trying to talk up a very disappointing development here or what sorry no smiley for sorrow.

#51543 - 01/11/04 12:11 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Walt,
thank you for letting us know that spare parts will still be available for a number of years. That to me was my biggest worry.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Walt Tenay:
Hi,

Walt Tenay
Walt Tenay Keyboard Studios
Myrtle Beach, SC 29526 USA

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#51544 - 01/11/04 12:17 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi All,

Wow! My optimism that there would be a KN8000 was certainly misplaced! It is indeed a sad day for all of us who own KN's, and as Willum points out, a sad day for Technics employees. Guess I'll just keep my KN6000 and be happy.

Chuck

#51545 - 01/11/04 12:19 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Johnnie,
I would say a lot of us loyal technics fans possibly upgraded everytime a new model came out, without ever fully understanding the one we'd just traded.

As you said, lets take the opportunity and get the most out of what we've got.

Long live the KN7000.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Johnnie.c:
[B] I suspect that if there are no further models to have to chase then it will be a golden opportunity to get to know our KN7000 in depth.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#51546 - 01/11/04 12:25 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Johnnie.c Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
[B]Hi Johnnie,
I would say a lot of us loyal technics fans possibly upgraded everytime a new model came out, without ever fully understanding the one we'd just traded.

As you said, lets take the opportunity and get the most out of what we've got.

Long live the KN7000.
B]

Hi Rikki
I'm with you

#51547 - 01/11/04 12:26 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Mark And Michelle Offline

Loc: Mersea Island, Essex, U K
Oh Christ!

I was the one, in the original discussion, who said 'there's no smoke without fire'. To all Technics users, I can only apologise for having perhaps had a glimpse of the future.

Now, to all you on-line detectives, what kind of back-up are we going to have from here on? Or, is it going to make the KN and other series look like a DeLoreon on cocaine?

Anyway, I digress. I still can't see why Technics (I'm not trying to protect them!) have seen fit to pull away from what might still be a profitible market; it's just like Aston Martin or Rolls-Royce getting out of making luxury cars. We all, at some time time or another depend or our 'boards for, if anything else, relaxation. It's like telling an alcoholic that nobody produces drinks anymore.

Maybe we'll all end up going to Yamaha or, even worse, Panasonic (?) or Casio. God help us as most of us have built up a lot of libraries of Technics files which, judging by this topic, are to become defunct to everyone apart from a small group of veteran users.

I'm sorry if I've gone over the top in the above, but, having only been introduced and intrigued by the Technic's 'lifestyle' this has got to be the worse news yet.

If anybody wants to cheer me up send me a note telling me it's a mistake or a bottle of something at least 40%.

Sad days,

Mark

#51548 - 01/11/04 12:40 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
It's interesting that this is happening to Technics, but really not new to the music industry. These things really do happen and it's a matter a time when the day comes when a particular instrument manufacturer calls it quits. All though those manufacturers were strictly in the music making business, not like Technics/Panasonic which has other areas of goods.

I been playing the keyboard since the 70's, and I started out owning a Wurlitzer. Where is the Wurlitzer now?

Then I started to use Conn organs, where are the Conn organs?

Then I went to Thomas organs, not around too.

Went with the Baldwin electric piano , and not sure the status of Baldwin, maybe still around.

Traded the baldwin back in 1997 for the Technics PR900, still have it. Now have the PR804, just in time I guess.

Hmmmn, I hope I'm not the jinx here...

With technology, a few years from now, the Technics instruments will be obsolete and the newer instruments made by other companies will take hold. I guess they call this progress.

Although there is one thought of hope, that Technics/Panasonic sell the intrument portion to another company that can continue making the instruments, or incorporate it into some of what they already have.

Anthony

#51549 - 01/11/04 01:14 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Gunnar Jonny Offline

It's the old word: "One mans dead is another mans bread".

No doubt that the developement goes on and new stuff being born,
whatever name it have or will get.
All depends of marketing and sales, and to be true, we've not
seen any much Technics marketing here in Scandinavia for the
past years......
GJ

#51550 - 01/11/04 01:32 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
How about we all pitch in and keep Technics alive. Any multi millionairs out there who wants to be the CEO ?

Maybe better, the government can bail out Technics like they did with Chrysler and the Airlines...nah...we need to buy out Technics..only problem is...I don't have much to contribute. I could work in the mail room though ...jeez..I'm trying to cheer things up, but it "Ain't Happenin'"

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#51551 - 01/11/04 01:39 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
kozykeys Offline

Loc: york england
I love technics keyboards and boy am i glad i bought a 7000 nota tyros as i so nearly did after having technics for 20 yrs,i still have a 2000 and a 1400 and will never part with them, so many memories tied together in sound . Ah well nothing stays the same things move on ,i will have to buy a casio next time! by the way they are not bad boards these days anyone want to bet they become the biggest Yamaha rival.
jan

#51552 - 01/11/04 02:08 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
rikkisbears Offline

Hi,
you've still got the kn7 ( with it's audio functions) to look forward to down the track ( 2nd hand), or maybe you could get yourself one of the bargain basement priced KN26's
( I'm going to check my dealer and see if he's discounting, poor fellow's probably in shock, even though he's also a Yamaha dealer, he's a loyal Technic's fan & player).

Hopefully it will keep us together as a group. There's lots of loyal Technics owners out there, many of whom still own earlier models like the kn3 & 5 and are still more than happy with them. Our Kn6 & 7's have got a good few years left in them yet.

Let's stop chasing Technology Train, and fully learn to use what we've got.

For those who feel the need to explore new horizons, there are amazing computer programs out there, that can be used in conjunction with our kn keyboards.

Programs like Band in a Box. Good source for style creation , but it's far more than that.
It's a good source for creating midi backing tracks ie type in chord progression for a song, pick a style, convert to midifile, load it into the kn. The backing style plays , while you play the melody using R1&2 & left hand parts. Ever wanted to compose and wouldn't have clue where to start ( just like me), it helps you do that, too, with a function called the Melodyist. Simple as pressing a button, and it makes up chord progressions and composes a melody part. Every time you press the button , it composes something new, either for specific bars or a whole new song. Even comes up with a title for your song. Load it into your KN7, revoice using those great NX voices, the results can be truly amazing.

Ever wanted to make use of the psr styles without having to go to the expense of buying a second keyboard.
Yamaha used to have a great little sequencer called XG Works. It's biggest kept secret was that it actually had it's own inbuilt styles, but, what was not widely known was that the actual psr styles could also be used in the same manner as the inbuilt styles.ie pick a style. Pick the style parts intro, variations fills etc type in a chord progreesion for your song, expand it to midi tracks , save as midifile , load into kn7 and revoice. Some of the xg drums can be a bit of a hassle to edit, but where there's a will there's a way ( haahaa)

There is the option of an XG soft synth for
your computer, itgives a bit more of an idea of whatthe midifile should sound like.

There's Jos's One Man Band. Again his program makes use of psr styles, which are readily downloadle on the net.

There's lots of stuff out there we can use in conjunction with our kn's.

Best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark And Michelle:

I was the one, in the original discussion, who said 'there's no smoke without fire'. To all Technics users, I can only apologise for having perhaps had a glimpse of the future.

Mark[/B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#51553 - 01/11/04 02:15 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Jan,
the casio's appear to be very good value for money. Unfotunately I don't think they supported very well when it comes to styles. They're one of the companies that don't appear to be support by the EMC styles convert program.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by kozykeys:
Ah well nothing stays the same things move on ,i will have to buy a casio next time! by the way they are not bad boards these days anyone want to bet they become the biggest Yamaha rival.
jan

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#51554 - 01/11/04 02:50 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Mark And Michelle Offline

Loc: Mersea Island, Essex, U K
I've received an email (person not to be mentioned) about the language used in my reply to this discussion. If I've offended anyone you have my apologies; and, to Bill, if you want to kick me out, I've put the appropriate shielding in place.

Come on you lot, this is a serious subject. No more Technics, i.e.; 2 years from now; probably no more forum, except for the veterans. If we can do anything to defend our 'enjoyment' rights to have access to this technology, let's get down and talk about it and stop worrying so much about syntax.

I'm sorry if I've offended any of you but I stick by my words.

Mark (no Michelle, or Lucy, just me.)

#51555 - 01/11/04 03:00 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Its a sad day indeed

Its not all that long ago there were various suggestions on this forum as to what we would like Technics to incorporate into the future (hopefully) KN8 - It was quite a long list of suggestions. Perhaps after reading them someone at Head office decided to throw in the towel!!!

Do you think we will ever get a ROM update now? - Joan

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 01-11-2004).]

#51556 - 01/11/04 03:12 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
Yes, it is a sad day........But our KN7000's are still just as wonderful an instrument as they were before we had this announcement!

Marilyn

#51557 - 01/11/04 03:21 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Well !!
I'm sure glad that I bought the KN7000 in 2001, not too long after it's release.
It's the finest all around arranger keyboard ever produced (IMO)and at least there will be a parts supply (hopefully) for a few years in case anything goes wrong.
I was going to sell my old KN2000, but under the circumstances, I sure will hang on to it as a backup. It had to be repaired once due to a lightning strike so now a good high class surge suppressor goes along with my keyboard no matter where I take it.
Anyway, hang in there people. There are enough of us that already own the KN7000, plus the new owners yet to come, that there will be enough questions and answers to keep this forum going for a long, long time.
In that vein, thanks to all, for both past and future help.
Walt

[This message has been edited by Walt Meyer (edited 01-11-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Walt Meyer (edited 01-11-2004).]

#51558 - 01/11/04 03:30 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Arne Bakken Offline

Loc: Sweden
Thats real sad, i´ve just got me eyes opened for Technics keyboards. I tested the KN2600 and found it perfect for me. So in a week or two my KN2600 will be comming....

I really hope this forum will be here, even if Technics close there shop.

This is my first post in this forum, and i must say "This is a great forum with lots of knowledge"

------------------
/Arne Bakken
www.arnebakken.com(just in swedish at the moment)

#51559 - 01/11/04 03:33 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Boissoneault:
........But our KN7000's are still just as wonderful an instrument as they were before we had this announcement!

Very good point Marilyn

Maybe no need for a rom-upgrade as long as the
KN7 are as good as it is Joan, but I wonder a
lot about how this will infect the aftermarket
regarding further developement of styles etc.
Also if EMC will get hands on the sourcecode to
make the converprogram able to convert the KN7
comps downwards.
GJ

#51560 - 01/11/04 03:53 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
I am just an old cynic.. What do you think will happen to Yamaha's price structure now that their biggest rival in the Home/Semi-pro market is about to fade away?

#51561 - 01/11/04 03:56 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Joan,
I would say the writings been on the wall for much longer than we think. I very much doubt that suggestions fo improvement would have made them throw in the towel.
I saw my dealer a couple of months back ( whenever I go to the city I drop in to say hello, I met him about 14 years ago when I bought a floppy drive for my KN800)
anyway, he was saying sales had been slowing down. He feared people were not playing as much as they used to ie they were finding new things to do like surfing the internet etc

sad indeed, but the kn7 is still a wonderful instrument.

They've equiped us well with all the styles on the kn7, great features on the keyboard itself, now it's up to us to make the most of it.
Fortunately spare parts, sound like they'll be round for the next few years, Heck, there's people around still with KN2's
so it must say a lot for the quality and design of the kn board ( my biggest worry when I first heard the news , was what if something goes wrong , can I get it fixed if it needs parts)

Let's get out of the doldrums, just think , at least the group won't be split up this time round, with the who have's and the who haven't got the latest model.

Time to learn to use the functions we've got ie style creation, pad creation, sequencer editing tools, sd audio , stuff to keep the kn new & exciting.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Joan:
Its a sad day indeed

Its not all that long ago there were various suggestions on this forum as to what we would like Technics to incorporate into the future (hopefully) KN8 - It was quite a long list of suggestions. Perhaps after reading them someone at Head office decided to throw in the towel!!!

Do you think we will ever get a ROM update now? - Joan

[This message has been edited by Joan (edited 01-11-2004).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#51562 - 01/11/04 04:41 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
I agree that this is the greatest forum going for Technics keyboards (KN7 and all the rest).

It's not the Keyboards that make this forum great -- it's the people.

We have a tremendously knowledgeable, friendly, helpful, and talented group of people on this forum and with continued effort, we all can continue to enjoy our combined keyboard music for years to come.

Let's keep the ball rolling!!

Larry G

#51563 - 01/11/04 04:54 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
rikkisbears Offline

Hi
Their prices have always been pretty competative. Hopefully the psr prices don't skyrocket. Mores the point, hopefully they keep developing their product.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by trevorjohn:
I am just an old cynic.. What do you think will happen to Yamaha's price structure now that their biggest rival in the Home/Semi-pro market is about to fade away?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#51564 - 01/11/04 05:10 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Anthony,
maybe they'll sell it Yamaha, and we'll get a psr/kn hybrid.

For some bizzare reason I'd thought that had already happened ( a few years back) ( merger yamaha & Technics) possibly because here in Aust. a lot of technics dealers are also yamaha dealers. Obviously I'd been daydreaming as I happened to mention it to the Panasonic Representative a few months back . He just laughed.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyCian:
B]
Although there is one thought of hope, that Technics/Panasonic sell the intrument portion to another company that can continue making the instruments, or incorporate it into some of what they already have.

Anthony[/B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#51565 - 01/11/04 05:46 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
No more Technics keyboards, that does make me sad. What is troubling me more is the loss of the people on this forum. We have quility people here, If this forum goes out, I will surely miss you people.

Not very happy, John C.

#51566 - 01/11/04 05:48 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
No more Technics keyboards, that does make me sad. What is troubling me more is the loss of the people on this forum. We have quility people here, If this forum goes out, I will surely miss you people.

Not very happy, John C.

#51567 - 01/11/04 06:30 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Hi Rikkisbears:

You mentioned, "Let's stop chasing Technology Train, and fully learn to use what we've got."

I think people will eventually move on toward new technology. Most everyone here on the forum couldn't wait for the KN8000 to come out. There will be an instrument someday that will replace the KN7000, it's called progress.

Little by little, one by one, Technics owners will want to keep in pace of the new Technology and will start buying other brands. It's inevitable.

The Technics instruments will be around a few years, before the other brands catch up.

In a positive note, would be nice if Technics would sell their instrument department and hope whoever buys it continues with it, and maybe make it better.

Anthony

#51568 - 01/11/04 07:07 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Anthony,
I'm a person who used to anxiously await the next new super duper model.
Every second year I'd update my Roland , korg & Technic keyboards, plus I always had an array of updated synth sound modules.

Possibly first time ever, I wasn't looking forward to updating to the latest model, I'm still very content with the kn7. If anything , I may have updated my pr602.

I'll probably add to my computer software collection, which I can use in conjunction with my kn7.

Maybe computers are the future of music??

Maybe one day I'll also add a PSR again, who knows.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AnthonyCian:
[B]Hi Rikkisbears:

You mentioned, "Let's stop chasing Technology Train, and fully learn to use what we've got."

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#51569 - 01/11/04 07:23 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Sad to hear that Technics keyboards will no longer be produced. I've just ordered the EW04 expansion card - decided to get it 'while stocks last'.

Mike

#51570 - 01/11/04 07:32 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
rikkisbears Offline

It's a nice card Mike.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Daniell:
Sad to hear that Technics keyboards will no longer be produced. I've just ordered the EW04 expansion card - decided to get it 'while stocks last'.

Mike

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#51571 - 01/12/04 02:54 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Johnnie.c Offline

I would like to hear some opinions from Technics Piano and Organ owners

#51572 - 01/12/04 05:02 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
Hi All,

Business is Business and the true is that while Technics made a great keyboard the best does not always win. Most people will go for price everytime and in that arena Yahama and Casio have the market and most likely the sales.

My old PRS500 is still a very nice keyboard given a $400 price tag and if I had never heard the KN6000 and/or not been more interested in music and sound I really doubt I'd have ever moved up to the quality of the Technics sound.

I have several friends that have bought keyboards and the truth is most of them get played for the first couple of months then they get put in the closet.

As for the forum, I think we'll need it even more now since it will be our only means of support. And as was said, it's the people here and not the keyboard that makes the forum.

So let's salute the music still to be played and shared because after all it's what I like most about my keyboard and the forum, listening you all of you play!

My best wished to all
Heather

#51573 - 01/12/04 11:21 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
Johnnie.c Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by shcox:

As for the forum, I think we'll need it even more now since it will be our only means of support. And as was said, it's the people here and not the keyboard that makes the forum.

So let's salute the music still to be played and shared because after all it's what I like most about my keyboard and the forum, listening you all of you play!

My best wished to all
Heather

Perhaps it is not a good idea to alienate the what somebody referred to as GUROS in a not so polite manner in an earlier thread.
whether we are basic, intermediate, or advanced this forum will rely on these knowledgeable people more than ever in the future so let us respect what they know and and hope they don't object to us picking their brains

#51574 - 01/12/04 11:58 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
rikkisbears Offline

Gosh Alec,
what's next for you. The Kn's must have been a pretty big part of your life considering the extended manuals you wrote for the kn6/7.
The kn7000 Website and the preparation & tweaking of the styles for the kn's.
Your amazing knowledge of the workings of the KN keyboards, obviously means you enjoy exploring every facet of a keyboard.

Any plans to explore another brand of keyboard, or does it give you a bit more free time to spend on music and hopefully the forum.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
At last the announcement has been made in Japan and it's official - no more Technics.
A sad day.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#51575 - 01/12/04 01:48 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
technicsplayer Offline

certainly a part Rikki, but not necessarily a huge part, the 7k book was completed in a relatively short time from contracted, and the 6k book from initial request too. Real-time hard drive streaming software samplers are the future, with a sample quality far ahead of today’s keyboards. I've been working on DVD creation for some time now and am currently testing hand held movie players (multimedia walkmans) and video compression systems, which will be a very big growth area in the next few years.

About the 7k this is the question that everyone has asked me in private and have just said it will be interesting to see how long it takes for something else to be offered that actually tempts me to stop using a 7k with all soundcards. I can't see anything on the horizon now, but we will see...

#51576 - 01/12/04 03:15 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Alec,
I've never quite known what your tie up was to the Technics keyboards ie hobbyist, consultant etc etc
Obviously you're far more involved with electronics than I could have imagined.

can you run this one past me again

"Real-time hard drive streaming software samplers are the future, with a sample quality far ahead of today’s keyboards. "

Does this have anything to do with music/musical instruments ?

or mainly consumer items, dvd etc
(like the ones you mentioned.)

Always been a bit of an electronics gadget nutter ( haahaa)
Can't begin to imagine what the future's going to bring in the way of electronics.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by technicsplayer:
[B]Real-time hard drive streaming software samplers are the future, with a sample quality far ahead of today’s keyboards.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#51577 - 01/13/04 09:45 AM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Rikki, as far as music is concerned it is just relaxation as a self taught hobby, the Technics and non-Technics related consultancy work was offered as a result of writing on forums, I have many other interests.

Top end keyboards store their samples in Rom of around 64-96MB nowadays, the 7k with all soundcards has 128MB for instance. This digital data is compressed with proprietary algorithms so the wave equivalent is several times greater than this.

As computers get faster it becomes possible to store the samples on hard drive and retrieve them fast enough to play live with full polyphony. But these software synthesis programs can have a sample library of 20GigaBytes or much more, huge amounts of data just for orchestral strings for example. Not only that but the resolution can be many orders of magnitude greater than the existing quality (32 bit 96kHz samples rather than 16 bit 48kHz) so that when mixed down to cd the low level losses are negligible.
On a keyboard you can pan left/right and give a pretend depth effect with reverb. With software samplers you can mix in dolby 5.1 surround sound. At some stage the hardware keyboard as we know it will be redundant, since so many nuances of acoustic instrument playing can each be separately sampled and mapped by pressure and other controllers to the keyboard at a resolution that is breathtaking.

As excellent as our instruments are at a huge range of popular music, you cannot sit down and multitrack the slow movement of Dvorak's New World symphony and get a sound that anywhere near approaches a recording of von Karajan conducting the Berlin Philharmonic. But one day soon you might start being able to get much closer...

#51578 - 01/13/04 12:24 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
shakeel Ahmed Offline

Loc: gujranwala,punjab,Pakistan
No more Technics.......Oh please dont tell me.I have to admit it is Technics which showed me a new angle in making music soooo
beautifuly.

I some time think who is responssible for all that.mine guess is:its
YAMAHA,a big boss prevailing over music industry very rapidly.I love my kn6500 and
will keep on.I implore: o please do not go TECHNICS come back we will love u even more.
Your beautiful keyboards will live forever
in our hearts.DOOOO come back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#51579 - 01/13/04 01:48 PM Re: NO MORE TECHNICS - official.
rikkisbears Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by technicsplayer:
[B]Hi Alec,
in simple terms that maybe i can make sense of would the following comparison work ie
I originally record a song as a wav file using up 100mb's ( excellent quality) but to make it fit on my sd card I have to scrunch it down to an mp3 of 2 to 3 mbs ( not as good a quality )so that I can fit more than one song on my sd card?
So the same thing with keyboards, the sample memory required would be far too large and expensive for any modern day keyboards so they scrunch it down to something that works, and is affordable.
"Quote from Alec---Top end keyboards store their samples in Rom of around 64-96MB nowadays, the 7k with all soundcards has 128MB for instance. This digital data is compressed with proprietary algorithms so the wave equivalent is several times greater than this."

"Quote from Alec...As computers get faster it becomes possible to store the samples on hard drive and retrieve them fast enough to play live with full polyphony."

( Rikki) are you referring to something along the line of soft synths like the one roland one that's included with BIAB, or there also appear to be actual software synthesizers around ( haven't delved into this area as yet, so I haven't managed to work out the difference between a soft synth and this type) or better still, the other day, when I was looking up this new Virtual Singer program called Vocaloid, I did come across a huge array of sample libraries full of strings and other orchestral instruments, haven't quite worked out how they used them, but the demo's were unbeleivable. I think the samples were actually individual notes which were then made into a sequence.
The imagination ran wild wondering if one day, they would actually put sampled instruments into loops (something along the lines of the styles in our arrangers) and that they would be playable in realtime.
Actually I'd be happy if it could be done in a sequencer in non realtime. I'm only wanting to create backing sequences.
To date, most of the audio loops I've come across are for dance type music, there again I haven't looked that hard.

" Quote from Alec... At some stage the hardware keyboard as we know it will be redundant, since so many nuances of acoustic instrument playing can each be separately sampled and mapped by pressure and other controllers to the keyboard at a resolution that is breathtaking."

( Rikki) Maybe I need to do another " Rip Van Winkle" and drop out for another 5 years (haahaa)
Dropped out when audio was first appearing in sequencers like Cubase. Couldn't afford to get involved with the computers and software required back then (97/98/99?) the cost was prohibitive, I'd been fiddling round with synths, samplers and keyboards for 10 years, and fortunately it wasn't costing me much because of my tie up to the local music store, I bought for just over cost price, and then I'd sell within 6 months or so ( except for my kn's) before the item dropped in value. It was heaven for a technology junkie like me.
5 years down the track I've got a computer with a memory & speed I couldn't have imagined and software costing $28 USD capable of doing Audio ( Powertracks )
wheras back then ( I still had a 1mb Atari and a Windows 3.1 laptop)

Thanks for cheering me up Alec.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online